Configuring Adblock Plus for Android
Adblock Plus will automatically select a suitable filter subscription for you the first time it runs. You can still select any other subscription from the list.
Adblock Plus will run as background service and display its status in notification area.
Selecting a subscription
You can change subscription at any time by selecting it from a list:
Each time you select a different subscription, it is automatically downloaded and activated. By default, subscriptions are being refreshed periodically. There are two other options available in the advanced settings:
- Manually — the subscription is only refreshed when you press the refresh button ().
- On start — the subscription is automatically refreshed when you start Adblock Plus.
Setting up the proxy manually
Android versions prior to 3.1 do not have proxy settings built-in, but several manufacturers have added them to their devices. If you have a non-rooted device running an earlier Android version than 3.1, you can still set up the proxy manually.
Depending on the device, the proxy settings are in different places. If your device is in the following list, follow the specific instructions:
Instructions for specific devices
If your device isn't in the list, the most common place for the proxy settings is in the advanced WiFi settings.
Android 4.x (Ice Cream Sandwich, Jelly Bean) devices
Run Settings application. Select Wi-Fi. The list of available Wi-Fi networks will open:
Connect to the desired network (access point) if not already. Long press on connected network, context menu will appear. Select Modify network config:
In opened dialog mark Show advanced options check box:
Scroll to proxy settings, select Manual, proxy options will appear:
Set Proxy to
localhost and Port to the number specified by Adblock Plus in the notification message:
Android 2.x (Eclair, Froyo, Gingerbread) devices
Go to the WiFi settings and select Advanced settings from the menu:
Find the proxy host and port settings:
Set the proxy host to
localhost and port to the number displayed by Adblock Plus:
Frequently asked questions
- Is a rooted device required?
- Why am I asked to make changes to my network settings, even if Adblock Plus used to work fine?
- Can I move the app to an SD card?
- Why aren't any ads blocked in Firefox for Android?
- Why does Adblock Plus appear to consume so much traffic?
- How can I make the icon in the notification area go away?
- Why is Adblock Plus not on the Google Play store?