The sociopathic disrespect for the property of others

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
DannyCarlton

The sociopathic disrespect for the property of others

Post by DannyCarlton »

Because you will not even respect a web site owner's choice to block ad block users, I am now blocking all FireFox users from my sites. You may try to couch your rationilzations in a pathetic attempt at claiming "rights" but the truth is a web site owners, owns the web site and you access it because of their work. You have no right to alter his or her work, and ad block is not about freedom but about selfishness.

I will be continuing to market the idea that FireFox should be banned for their endorsement of AdBlock andsince Mozilla is now going corporate, they're stepping out of the non-profit umbrella into the arena of "greedy, mega-corporation" so they'll be ripe for protests, criticism and bad PR.

You couldn't leave well enough alone. You had to keep pushing it. There is more than enough motivation for web site owners to decide to block FireFox users since they cannot simply block ad block users. People don't like being stolen from.
fanboy

Post by fanboy »

Yup, dig yourself into a bigger hole Danny, you forget to relise that both Opera and Internet Explorer have adblocking options also, infact I have a list for my Opera users :) And the same list can be used by IEpro I'd like to see you attempt block 98% of the net, go right ahead.
Adblock Plus Fan

Post by Adblock Plus Fan »

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW111111
In this thread we witness a little programmer frustrated because he lost a little fight, futile from the beginning.

This is proof of Adblock Plus' superiority, superior to the point people fear it enough to go as far as trying to ban Firefox itself.

And yeah good luck trying to convince others to ban Firefox & co. with their marketshare in the climbing.
DannyCarlton wrote:Once I installed the AdBlock shield script on my article directory, my revenues doubled.
By all means good luck with your banning, I bet your revenues will increase TENFOLD by banning all Firefox users.

[Mod action: added line break so page is not widen for some]
fanboy

Post by fanboy »

and of course theres no way around sniffing a browser's user agent? *cough*
chewey

Re: The sociopathic disrespect for the property of others

Post by chewey »

DannyCarlton wrote:Because you will not even respect a web site owner's choice to block ad block users, I am now blocking all FireFox users from my sites.
You really are funny. Thanks for the good laugh. This is one of the best
documented processes of shooting oneself in the foot I have ever seen
on the web.
rick752

Post by rick752 »

DannyCarlton wrote: You couldn't leave well enough alone ...
No, YOU couldn't! I said for you to keep calling people 'thieves' with your blocking page (now rewritten) and stop showing others a way to (try) to block us (last paragraph link on your blog). Just for doing that, I told you that I would leave you alone.
You did neither!

I changed my filtering because telling others how to get around the filtering would make the strings ineffective. I just made them effective again so that trick couldn't be done. I don't see your site's name on any of those ... no one attacked YOU! So goodbye and good luck!

PS: Why don't you go back and re-read those 70+ comments in ABP's AMO "Discussions" (that has to be an AMO record for a total azzkicking!) for a subject that YOU started. Beside that, you might want to watch out for Opera's adblocker, Maxthon's IE adblocker and IEPro7's adblocker (most which follow the EasyList's lead). Then there is AdMuncher which is quite big and runs on ANY platform .... and so on ...
And now that you have publicized yourself as this month's "Webs Most Annoying Person", I'm sure that the other adblockers will read things and make the necessary adjustments too. You should have just kept quiet before all this happened. Who knows, you may just become famous and make it into a "Hosts" file.

And btw, I can still see your sites with no ads.
rick752

Post by rick752 »

fanboy wrote:and of course theres no way around sniffing a browser's user agent? *cough*
Yep, I just used that to check in there to see reactions from non-blocking Firefox users. One click and it works like a charm (oh yeah, and still no ads) ... and MUCH faster than IE Tab. I see that a couple of his regular readers that use a non-blocking Firefox are already very 'disappointed' at his latest ploy. What is this guy thinking? I am beginning to think that he really IS a "certified" nut case. Next he'll be blocking all the other possible user-agents because he is insane :roll:
steve

Post by steve »

is this small site so important to make such a big fuss about it? i never visited the site, i have no plans to visit it and if a site is blocking me, i will never visit it! so whats the trouble?
MonztA
ABP Developer

Post by MonztA »

banning all FF users..lol, this guy is so ridiculous :lol:
rick752

Post by rick752 »

steve wrote:is this small site so important to make such a big fuss about it? i never visited the site, i have no plans to visit it and if a site is blocking me, i will never visit it! so whats the trouble?
The trouble was that this guy openly coded a script that broke my filtering and was determined to distribute it to the entire internet. I told him I would leave him to his devices and not change anything IF he did not make another attempt to distribute the code publicly. He didn't listen ... so I adjusted my filtering to make his code ineffective. It was no personal attack on him (nothing with his site's name on it) ... but the adjustment had to be done here under the circumstances.

I personally do not care about him, his sites, or his code that was blocking users as long as he just "shut up" and kept that part of it to himself. What I DID care about was him attempting to AGAIN distribute the script to break my filtering and that was all I could take. I mean really, did he think that I would NOT make any adjustments to make his code ineffective if he tried again to distribute it again? Did he really think that I would just sit and watch him do that and do nothing? I bit my tongue long enough allowing him to go on ranting about "the end of ABP" ... publicizing the code again was the last straw.
Thray

re

Post by Thray »

Wait until this guy finds out about the Hosts file.

THE CAMPAIGN AGAINST THOSE EVIL, THIEVING OPERATING SYSTEMS WINDOWS, MAC OS AND UNIX BEGINS!
no_drugs

Post by no_drugs »

DannyCarlton wrote:Because you will not even respect a web site owner's choice to block ad block users
How's this? Of course you can block anyone you like from accessing your site.
DannyCarlton wrote:I am now blocking all FireFox users from my sites.
As you like. To be honest, I do not think this is a good decision, but at the end it is yours.
DannyCarlton wrote:You may try to couch your rationilzations in a pathetic attempt at claiming "rights" but the truth is a web site owners, owns the web site
Sure he does. Did anyone say anything else?
DannyCarlton wrote:You have no right to alter his or her work
Adblock does not alter anything.
DannyCarlton wrote:I will be continuing to market the idea that FireFox should be banned for their endorsement of AdBlock
Banned from what by whom?
DannyCarlton wrote:You couldn't leave well enough alone. You had to keep pushing it.
What are you talking about? Do you take any drugs?
DannyCarlton wrote:There is more than enough motivation for web site owners to decide to block FireFox users since they cannot simply block ad block users.
I do not think you will have much success in that.
DannyCarlton wrote:People don't like being stolen from.
What is stolen?
Zatlite

Blocked again.

Post by Zatlite »

I checked the site. Looks like he's winning the code wars his script is effectively blocking adblock plus. If you are being really dogged about it you can switch user agent and kill java script using the webdeveloper bar but that also kills any non ad related java script. It is interesting to see the coding war being played out :)
rick752

Post by rick752 »

Zatlite wrote: .... his script is effectively blocking adblock plus.
No, his script is blocking Firefox ... not ABP. He is committing internet suicide here. The only thing his Firefox users can see is if they visit him is a propaganda page using two and a half year old articles from worthless sites. The propaganda page in now blocked in the EasyList. Strangely, he has put a link on that page on how to block Firefox? What? He put a link up on the "blocked" page that only Firefox users can see on how to block Firefox? What an idiot! Way to target your audience :roll:

If he doesn't want Firefox and ABP users to be able to see his site, then so be it. With the EasyList now they won't see anything. Users shouldn't have to put up with being blocked and then be insulted too by this guy. So if he wants to be rid of Firefox users ... then I say "good riddance" to him.
tuco

Danny Is Clueless

Post by tuco »

Danny, the HTTP protocol does not require user agents to download all of a page's embedded content. What "rights" are you referring to?

Also, and sorry, anyone developing web pages with MS Front Page cannot be taken as a serious web developer.