Can i -- View Blocked Image, show image?

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
Ayush

Can i -- View Blocked Image, show image?

Post by Ayush »

I want to see which image is blocked. By a sign like X or something so that i can unblock it. Is this option available ? If yes, where. I am using Latest Version of ABP.
--
Ayush
sheepy

Post by sheepy »

No there's no such feature. unlike admucher.

However you can see what are blocked in bloackable item list. Stuffs being blocked are in red.
Ayush

Post by Ayush »

sheepy wrote:No there's no such feature. unlike admucher.

However you can see what are blocked in bloackable item list. Stuffs being blocked are in red.
I wish they add the feature.
--
Ayush
sheepy

Post by sheepy »

An advantage of this approach is that the experience is more seamless, nothing is on the page to reminds you that ads are supposed to be there. This can be a better experience to subscribers of a good list.

I think the replacement img/text feature may be more useful for sporting false positives since it shows what are killed and what are not, right on the page. However it won't work on stuff generated by blocked script, and we're seeing more and more of that.
Ayush

Post by Ayush »

sheepy wrote:An advantage of this approach is that the experience is more seamless, nothing is on the page to reminds you that ads are supposed to be there. This can be a better experience to subscribers of a good list.

Yes, but at least a option.

Anyway, i downloaded Ad Muncher and disabled AdBlocker Plus. Reading about it on the forums and home page looks like it is great.
--
Ayush
alta88

Post by alta88 »

sheepy wrote:
I think the replacement img/text feature may be more useful for sporting false positives since it shows what are killed and what are not, right on the page. However it won't work on stuff generated by blocked script, and we're seeing more and more of that.
there's a discussion of element blocking going on in WP's blog at the moment.

more and more, sites will simply not work unless scripts are allowed. blocking scripts will mean blocking a site, so the script issue will become less important.

what is important is to have easy toggling to blocked items. the ABP icon should be a 3 way toggle regarding blocked items: all visible, placeholders visible, none visible. with placeholders visible, a mouseover could display the item blocked in a balloon like the sidebar does now.

an item is an ad url/regexp filter or an element. any element can be turned into a placeholder with css. now, i'm not a css guru but the following is a start:

Code: Select all

@-moz-document url-prefix(http://www.blah.com/) {
   #element { 
       width: 2px !important; height: 2px !important;
       background-color: lime !important;
       display: block !important  
   } 
   #element *  { 
       display: none !important; 
   }
}
it's important to get the highest order ancestor/containing box.. perhaps max- is necessary, or margins/padding = 0, etc etc. but seems very doable.
Wladimir Palant

Post by Wladimir Palant »

I hope to get this feature working for Adblock Plus 0.8.
sheepy

Post by sheepy »

Just a note. I was talking about blocking ad-delivering script instead of global script, through adblock.

Actually js is the primary delievery mechanism of many ad network. Google Adsense, for example, uses it.