How I "stole" the code that made Adblock a success · 2007-09-16 18:39 by Wladimir Palant
Update (2007-09-17): The author of these mails apologized to me — he seems to have confused me and rue. I don’t know whether rue has seen content policies being used in a different extension before he added them to Adblock, but the code he used was certainly mine.
Just wow… I got a mail from a fellow extension developer with some corrections to the History of Adblock. He notified me that his content blocker was first to use content policies and suggested that I correct the history. I declined because the history never claims that I was first when I came up with this concept in June 2003, I was (and still am) simply unaware of already existing implementations.
And that’s where things got weird. The next mail warned me that this developer will publish “proof” that I stole the code I used for Adblock. It seems that I installed an extension that was created for a government agency and “borrowed” the copyrighted code. Proof is web server logs from this government agency, and supposedly my ISP confirmed that the IP address there was mine. Since my ISP at that time was University of Bonn I find that rather hard to believe. Just a note: any IP address that doesn’t start with “131.220.” wasn’t mine.
And then there are supposedly logs from Mozilla’s IRC server where I asked about content policies on the following days. I am not sure, but I think I didn’t even use Mozilla’s IRC back then. And a note again: anybody not named “trev” is not me, I never used a different nick.
I find it just unbelievable that somebody can make such claims without having any real facts. Well, waiting for the “proof”...
Commenting is closed for this article.