Moving Adblock Plus source code · 2009-11-16 17:49 by Wladimir Palant

Almost four years ago, Adblock Plus started out as a project hosted on MozDev.org. It quickly outgrew this hosting and moved to its own domain, yet some parts of it remained on MozDev — including source code. That’s until now. I finally made the decision to host my source code myself, having five extensions, downloads and web content in a single repository was simply too much of a mess. After some waving with hg convert and a little manual help I am proudly presenting you hg.adblockplus.org.

What changed? Obviously, each extension has its separate repository now. So if you want to pull Element Hiding Helper you no longer need to pull all the stuff you don’t care about. Since the extensions were sharing the build scripts from the root directory previously, I created a buildtools repository for those — scripts like make_devbuild.pl will check it out automatically if you haven’t done so already. Oh, and file history is somewhat less messy — I pretty much reverted the repository reorganization that happened after Adblock Plus 1.0 release, with the new repositories it looks like the files were always where they are now (which makes it slightly harder to rebuild historical extension versions but I doubt many people will care).

The old repository on MozDev is still available but isn’t being updated any more. I will request it to be removed once I’m sure that everything is working correctly.

Tags:

Comment [4]

  1. Robert 'wet' Wetzlmayr · 2009-11-16 19:46 · #

    Besides all the Mozilla goodness, as a result of what others would probably call a professional deformation I’m thoroughly interested in this hg2txp syncing bot. Is this a private endeavour of yours or a matter of public availability?

    Reply from Wladimir Palant:

    It’s a rather hacky cronjob that I have running hourly – one way, txp to hg only, 160 lines Perl script with quite a few things specific to this site hardcoded (though this can be changed relatively easily of course). Originally this was a plug-in that was syncing to CVS on each change but it caused an annoying delay every time you change something.

  2. eupator · 2009-11-16 21:43 · #

    > The old repository on MozDev is still available but isn’t being
    > updated any more. I will request it to be removed once I’m sure that
    > everything is working correctly.

    Is the hosted subscriptions repository still going be available in some form?

    Reply from Wladimir Palant:

    I only meant the Mercurial repository – the CVS repository stays unchanged for now, it is where the EasyList downloads come from on MozDev. It is possible that we will get the necessary traffic elsewhere in future, we will probably come up with a different (better) solution to track changes of subscriptions then.

  3. Esteban · 2009-11-17 20:17 · #

    The extension stopped blocking hotmail, facebook, and gmail yesterday. So, I removed it to reinstall it today just incase something went wrong. Unfortunately, the following download links are broken:

    URL Location of link: https://adblockplus.org/en/installation
    Broken link on page: https://addons.mozilla.org/downloads/latest/1865/adblock_plus-1.1.1.xpi?src=external-abp.o-en-installation

    URL Location of link: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1865
    Broken link on page: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/downloads/latest/1865/addon-1865-latest.xpi?src=addondetail

    Reply from Wladimir Palant:

    One of the servers behind releases.mozilla.org (this is where your link points to in the end) is apparently broken – the add-ons directory is completely empty. However, if you try again you will likely get a different server that works.

  4. Esteban · 2009-11-17 23:49 · #

    Great. I was able to download it again.

    FYI just in case you are curious:
    I found my problem. The easylist was no longer loaded. So I reinstalled adblock plus. For some reason, it didn’t ask me which easylist I wanted to use. So once again, I was seeing nothing blocked. When I added the easylist from the preference menu, it still did not work. It listed the name of the list, but it didn’t show anything in the list. Maybe it wasn’t downloading properly for some reason. (I thought this was an issue like you mention above, but the subscriptions seemed to be all on your site.) Anyway, when I manually subscribed using the link at https://easylist.adblockplus.org/, it DID subscribe correctly and everything works now.

    Reply from Wladimir Palant:

    I got confirmation from Mozilla that they had issues but everything should be working now.

Commenting is closed for this article.