Adblock Plus 2.6.9 for Firefox released · 2015-03-31 23:56 by Wladimir Palant
This is another quality and stability release:
- Slightly optimized performance, domain-specific filters will no longer affect overall performance (issue 2177).
- Added extensions.adblockplus.suppress_first_run_page preference to allow administrators disable the first-run page if Adblock Plus is installed globally (issue 206). Note that additional changes are required to make this preference usable.
$elemhidefilter option doesn’t consider website signatures correctly (issue 2151).
Adblock Plus 2.6.8 for Firefox released · 2015-03-10 21:00 by Wladimir Palant
This release features the improved icon and logo that are already being used in Chrome, Opera and Safari (issue 1534, issue 2053, issue 2072). It also fixes an issue with the search functionality in the Filter Preferences affecting Firefox 36 and above (issue 2041).
Adblock Plus integrated into Maxthon browser · 2015-02-11 09:43 by Job Plas
Adblock Plus and Maxthon committed to a partnership where Adblock Plus has been integrated as a default feature in the popular Maxthon Cloud Browser.
Adblock Plus 2.6.7 for Firefox released · 2015-01-14 22:03 by Wladimir Palant
Note that this release removes the “Hide placeholders of blocked elements” option from the user interface. The underlying functionality is still available via a hidden preference, as explained in the original announcement.
- Removed ‘Hide placeholders of blocked elements’ option from the user interface (issue 1670).
- Fixed: First-run page broken in Firefox nightlies if E10S is enabled (issue 1663, issue 1706).
- Fixed first-run page layout for right-to-left languages (issue 1668).
- Fixed: “Adblock Warning Removal List” is being displayed as the selected list on Firefox Mobile (issue 1712).
- Fixed: “Disable on site” doesn’t always show up on Firefox Mobile (issue 1713).
First-run page rearchitecturing complete · 2015-01-08 13:39 by Wladimir Palant
Ever since the Firefox nightly builds switched on E10S (multi-process) the Adblock Plus first-run page was broken. We noticed the issue mid-December last year and were working on a solution since then. The result was a completely different backend for the first-run page, one that will hopefully be used for the other pieces of the user interface as well soon (no urgency there however). The new first-run page in Adblock Plus 18.104.22.16884 for Firefox and Adblock Plus 22.214.171.1249 for Chrome, Opera and Safari should hopefully look and behave exactly the same as the old one. It should however be functional in the current Firefox nightlies with E10S switched on and perform better in Safari.
If you want to test the first-run page without reinstalling, you can copy
chrome://adblockplus/content/ui/firstRun.html into the address bar in Firefox or
chrome-extension://ldcecbkkoecffmfljeihcmifjjdoepkn/firstRun.html in Chrome and Opera.
Removed "Hide placeholders of blocked elements" option · 2014-12-11 15:49 by Sebastian Noack
Disabling the “Hide placeholders of blocked elements” option in the menu (Firefox) or in the “General” section of the options page (Chrome, Opera, Safari) had the effect that placeholders were shown for elements which didn’t load because of Adblock Plus. The purpose of this feature was to see when something was blocked on a webpage. However, the results couldn’t be relied on because it didn’t have any effect on hidden or generally invisible elements. Also, in Chrome, Opera and Safari there is now the icon badge indicating the number of blocked requests (coming to Firefox as well soon). Therefore, we decided to remove the option from the user interface.
Adblock Plus 2.6.6 for Firefox released · 2014-11-11 23:59 by Wladimir Palant
There is only one change, Adblock Plus will use a slightly different approach to read files from disk (issue 1510). The reason is a change that Mozilla made for Firefox and that broke Adblock Plus completely in the Firefox nightly builds.
Adblock Plus 2.6.6 for Firefox release candidate · 2014-11-03 13:17 by Wladimir Palant
The current Adblock Plus 126.96.36.19972 for Firefox development build is a release candidate, we plan to release Adblock Plus 2.6.6 next Tuesday (November 11, 2014). There is only one change, Adblock Plus will use a slightly different approach to read files from disk (issue 1510). The reason is a change that Mozilla made for Firefox and that broke Adblock Plus completely in the Firefox nightly builds — this change was temporarily reverted but it will land again.
We don’t expect any issues with this development build. However, please let us know if Adblock Plus suddenly has trouble reading its data (everything empty in Filter Preferences). Also, there is a slight chance of startup performance regressions here.
Time to unify - We’ve improved our icon and logo · 2014-10-22 16:10 by Sven Hartz
The development of the Adblock Plus logo and icon has over eight years of history. You can find the first Adblock Plus specific logo suggestions here, or some newer ones here. Eight years later, in year 2014, we still have very similar problems as in those days. Since it is also tradition to do this development together with our community, we are excited to do it again to improve the Adblock Plus icon and logo.
Adblock Plus 2.6.5 for Firefox released · 2014-10-15 21:01 by Wladimir Palant
- Fixed: Element hiding exceptions are broken by changes in Firefox 34 and Firefox 35 (issue 1241, issue 1381).
- Fixed: Blocking via context menu won’t always suggest blocking the most recent request (issue 362).
- Fixed: Issue reporter will complain about too many filter lists even when these filter lists are “special” like the anti-adblock list (issue 690).
- Fixed: Disabling filters via space bar no longer works in preferences (issue 1129).
- Fixed: Sharing Adblock Plus from the first-run page won’t work if the Anti-Social list is enabled (issue 1133).
- Fixed: Anti-Adblock warning will sometimes appear on websites without any anti-adblock behavior (issue 1161).
$sitekeyoption behavior more consistent, it can be used similarly to
$domainnow rather than whitelisting complete websites only (issue 432).