Adblock Plus 2.6.13 for Firefox released · 2015-11-25 17:43 by Wladimir Palant
The release announcement yesterday already mentioned an upcoming change that will break Adblock Plus in Firefox nightly builds. However, at that point we didn’t know the scope of the issue and didn’t have a simple solution. Turned out, Adblock Plus isn’t merely broken itself but breaks the browser’s user interface as well. Luckily, Nils Maier provided us with a simple work-around for the issue, so we could push out a new release quickly.
Adblock Plus 2.6.12 for Firefox released · 2015-11-24 12:13 by Wladimir Palant
We are aware of an issue breaking Adblock Plus user interface in the latest Firefox nightly builds, this will be fixed in the next release. There is also an issue related to element hiding functionality in Firefox 43 and above, this one will also be addressed in the next release.
- Added $generichide and $generic block filter options (issue 647, issue 616).
- Improved first-run display on small screens, especially on mobile devices (issue 2018).
- Fixed: Findbar in Filter Preferences is being triggered when trying to edit filters (issue 3129, issue 3144).
- Fixed: Ctrl+F wasn’t working as expected when the findbar was already open (issue 2580).
- Fixed: Filter composer’s “Advanced view” button was broken in Firefox nightly builds (issue 3263).
- Fixed: Anti-Adblock warning shouldn’t show up when Adblock Plus is disabled (issue 3254).
- Fixed: Anti-Adblock warning shouldn’t be triggered by frames (issue 3253).
New filter options $generichide and $genericblock · 2015-11-17 12:18 by Dave Barker
We have added two new filter options,
$genericblock which are already available in development builds and will be included in Adblock Plus 2.6.12 for Firefox and 1.9.4 for Chrome, Opera & Safari. They allow exception rules to be written that disable generic hiding or blocking rules for a given website whilst leaving site-specific rules intact.
This is an experimental feature that is still subject to change.
Some websites detect Adblock Plus by testing whether a certain generic rule is in effect. For example, if a file called “ads.js” isn’t loaded they might guess that the client is blocking adverts. The new options have been added to give filter authors more power to combat this, they provide a simple way to disable all generic rules for any websites that are found to be using this technique.
Here is an example rule that will disable generic hiding rules for the website adblockplus.org:
What counts as a generic rule? Currently, we define a generic rule as one that either applies to all domains, or all domains with a few exceptions. As long as a filter contains at least one domain or sitekey to match we consider it to be specific.
(Note that by this definition the blocking rule
||example.com^ is generic whereas
*/ads/*$domain=example.com is site-specific.)
Support for other platforms such as Internet Explorer is still in progress.
Adblock Plus 2.6.11 for Firefox released · 2015-09-24 01:07 by Wladimir Palant
- Fixed: Findbar in Filter Preferences was slightly broken when using Firefox 42 and above (issue 2832).
- Fixed: Notification pop-up shouldn’t disappear if somebody clicks outside it (issue 3060).
- Fixed: Toolbar icon broken in SeaMonkey 2.40 and above (issue 3072).
- Added promotional message for Adblock Browser to the first-run page (issue 3031).
Adblock Plus for Firefox and Element Hiding Helper development builds now hosted on AMO · 2015-09-04 16:42 by Wladimir Palant
Mozilla is starting to enforce their signing on all add-ons: Firefox 40 already warns about unsigned add-ons, Firefox 41 Beta outright disables them. This isn’t a big issue for our add-on releases as these are signed by addons.mozilla.org (AMO) automatically. However, the development builds were hosted on our own servers until recently, no such signing there.
Because of that, a few weeks ago we moved our development builds to AMO to have them signed automatically. You can also download them from AMO directly (see Development Channel section in the extension description). Anybody who installed development builds from our website should be upgraded to the AMO-hosted builds automatically.
Adblock Plus 2.6.10 for Firefox released · 2015-07-28 15:05 by Wladimir Palant
This is a quality and stability release, with the focus being compatibility with upcoming Firefox versions. Most of the changes are under the hood, only the visible changes are listed:
suppress_first_run_pagepreference introduced by previous release can now be preconfigured by machine administrators via setting
extensions.adblockplus.preconfigured.suppress_first_run_pageFirefox preference (issue 2439).
- Issue reporter
- Subscription links
- Removed inconsistent behavior (breaks backwards compatibility): exception rules starting with
https://no longer imply
$documentoption (issue 2503).
- Reduced the initial delay for filter lists and notification updates after browser startup (issue 284 and issue 2659).
- First-run page: Fixed social buttons being broken starting with Firefox 38 (issue 2710).
Better support for upcoming Firefox versions · 2015-07-22 11:33 by Wladimir Palant
The Adblock Plus 22.214.171.12463 development build is a release candidate, Adblock Plus 2.6.10 for Firefox will be released next Tuesday is everything goes well. We implemented a bunch of improvements and fixed several issues affecting newer Firefox versions (especially multi-process Firefox). The most important changes are:
- Fixed a syntax error breaking Adblock Plus in Firefox 41 and above (bug 1176702)
https://subscribe.adblockplus.org/?location=http://example.com/as an alternative to
abp:subscribe?location=http://example.com/links (issue 2211).
- Fixed subscribe links in multi-process Firefox (issue 1730).
- Made the comment page of the issue reporter more compact so that the report data field has more space (issue 344).
- Fixed share dialog on the first-run page, it was broken starting with Firefox 38 (issue 2710).
Changing roles · 2015-06-11 11:28 by Wladimir Palant
I’ve been the CTO of Eyeo since we founded it four years ago to put the Adblock Plus project on a more solid basis. This made sense, after all I created the Adblock Plus project and had been solely responsible for all things technical for five years. However, as the development team has been growing it became obvious that I’m not the best person to do this job. So, as of now I’m just a developer on the team and the new CTO is my colleague Felix Dahlke (fhd). This sounds like a bigger change than it really is, so I’ll try to answer all questions in advance.
Suppressing the first run page in Firefox · 2015-05-05 11:30 by Felix Dahlke
It is now possible to suppress the first run page in Adblock Plus for Firefox as well – with the current development build 126.96.36.19935, and the upcoming 2.6.10 release.
You can do this by setting the
extensions.adblockplus.preconfigured.suppress_first_run_page pref to
true, for example from autoconfig.js.
Adblock Plus 2.6.9 for Firefox released · 2015-03-31 23:56 by Wladimir Palant
This is another quality and stability release:
- Slightly optimized performance, domain-specific filters will no longer affect overall performance (issue 2177).
- Added extensions.adblockplus.suppress_first_run_page preference to allow administrators disable the first-run page if Adblock Plus is installed globally (issue 206). Note that additional changes are required to make this preference usable.
$elemhidefilter option doesn’t consider website signatures correctly (issue 2151).