Adblock Plus 2.0.2 for Safari released · 2018-10-02 14:53 by Dean Murphy
- Added logic to update filter lists between app updates
- Fixed filter list not loading on initial install in rare instances
- Updated filter lists
- Updated Deployment target from 10.12 to 10.12.6
- Updated on-boarding styling
- Updated on-boarding for legacy users to see toolbar installation procedure
- Updated Toolbar Extension hover text
- Updated Toolbar Extension descrpiton
- Updated Toolbar & Content Blocker Extension names
Adblock Plus 2.0.1 for Safari released · 2018-09-19 18:05 by Dean Murphy
Adblock Plus 2.0.1 has been made from the ground up to support Safari’s native content blocking engine, which is required for ad blocking to function as of Safari 12.0.
The main advantage of using the new content blocking APIs are the significant improvements to the speed and performance of ad blocking capabilities. Using these APIs also means there’s still some ground work to be done to improve the accuracy of what’s being blocked. We’ll be working over time to better optimize our filter list generation to provide a great ad blocking experience.
As this is a newly-built native macOS app, some features from the previous version aren’t available just yet but will be re-introduced with ongoing development.
- Added filter list management
- Added user controlled whitelisting
- Added ‘Help Page’ with support/social links
- Added user controlled whitelisting in toolbar extension UI
- Added on-boarding instructions
- Added automated removal of legacy ABP extension
- Fixed whitelist UI not updating in some instances
Changes to parsing metadata from filter lists · 2018-09-17 15:00 by Sebastian Noack
Starting with Adblock Plus 3.4 (and developments builds as of 188.8.131.525), special comments must be given at the top of the filter list, right below the header, otherwise they will be ignored. Furthermore, the
Checksum special comment is no longer supported.
Adblock Plus 3.3.2 for Chrome and Opera released · 2018-09-10 20:00 by Manish Jethani
This release introduces the new
hide-if-contains-and-matches-style snippet (issue 6919), which enables filter list authors to tackle a specific technique used by some websites to circumvent ad blocking using invisible ad labels.
Adblock Plus 3.3.1 for Chrome, Firefox and Opera released · 2018-08-30 19:00 by Manish Jethani
This release adds a couple of improvements to the Adblock Plus snippets.
- Added regular expression support to the
hide-if-shadow-containssnippets (issue 6847).
- Added support to the
hide-if-containssnippet for hiding a different ancestor of the element containing the search string (issue 6848).
Adblock Plus 3.3 for Chrome, Firefox and Opera released · 2018-08-28 15:00 by Manish Jethani
This release features our own anti-circumvention filter list. It also includes a new experimental feature called “Snippets,” which lets us deploy specialized scripts selectively on one or more domains. We have also taken steps to reduce memory usage and further improve the performance of element hiding emulation.
- Added the new ABP anti-circumvention filter list (issues 6689, 6699 and 6731).
- Added basic support for snippets (issues 6781 and 6782).
$rewritefilter option now accepts a blank value (issue 6787).
- Trailing dots in domain names are now always ignored (issue 6690).
- Element hiding emulation now correctly qualifies compound selectors in the document’s style sheet (issue 6619).
:-abp-properties()pseudo-class now responds correctly to dynamic DOM updates (issue 6680).
$elemhidewhitelisting filter option now works for documents with an unknown parent frame (issue 6808).
- Fixed the rendering of SVG icons on the options page for mobile (issue 6866).
- Reduced the initial memory footprint by ~8% (issues 6727 and 6735).
- Further improved the performance of element hiding emulation (issue 6437).
- Fixed a compatibility issue on Chrome 49 (issue 6823).
Newest update to Adblock Plus is a massive strike against ‘anti-adblock’ tools · 2018-08-28 14:15 by Tom Woolford
Adblock Plus 3.3 strikes against anti-ad block companies.
Advantage ABP: Successfully blocking ads on Facebook for 1 year, 1 month and 1 day. · 2018-08-13 17:31 by Aaron Scheib
For years, the ad-blocking community and Facebook have been playing a sophisticated, but annoying, game of ping pong. Until now.
Adblock Plus 3.2 for Chrome, Firefox and Opera released · 2018-07-17 21:16 by Sebastian Noack
This release features the new $rewrite filter option which enables filter list authors to prevent (mostly pre-roll video) ads that couldn’t be blocked before from showing on some websites, as well as improvements to the issue reporter, and a couple other improvements and bug fixes.
- Added the
$rewritefilter option (issue 6592 and issue 6622).
- Blocked elements are now hidden through a style sheet if possible rather than by overriding their
styleattribute (issue 6645).
- Stopped converting domains reported by the browser to Unicode, expecting domains in filters being given in Punycode (issue 6647).
- Fixed: Requests were matched in the wrong context when navigating to a document served by a Service Worker (issue 6595).
- Fixed a regression introduced with the previous release that caused the number in the icon badge to show even if that feature was disabled (issue 6679).
- Added information about filter hits and related requests to issue reports (issue 6386).
- Removed the title field when adding a subscription by URL (issue 6532).
- Formatted dates on the options page based on the current locale (issue 6661).
- Fixed blocking of WebRTC connections and the related error shown in the console on Chrome 67 (respectively Opera 54) and above (issue 6744).
Sentinel is Online · 2018-06-27 16:05 by Tom Woolford
Adblock Plus releases Sentinel, an ad detector that uses machine learning to visually recognise Facebook ads.