Allowing acceptable ads in Adblock Plus · 2011-12-05 12:19 by Wladimir Palant
Edit: Welcom, Reddit users. Comments are now closed but feel free to read this post and the links – you might no longer feel the need to leave a comment then. Btw, offensive comments are removed, as usually.
The development build last Friday introduced a new feature that took many people by surprise: Allowing acceptable ads. Sorry about that, I am usually trying to announce large functionality changes in a timely manner but that didn’t work this time. As of Adblock Plus 2.0b.3277 the current state is:
- “Allow non-intrusive advertising” option is enabled by default for all users but the ones using privacy filter lists (EasyPrivacy, Fanboy’s Tracking, Adverisity Privacy). The documentation explains why it has to be enabled by default.
- The first-run page notifies users about this change, opt-out works by clicking “Filter Preferences” and unchecking the option there.
- On the technical side, this option simply represents an additional filter subscription. The documentation describes how to view this filter subscription or disable the special treatment for it.
- There is a forum topic with lots of my replies to questions concerning this feature.
Other changes since the previous announcement:
- Filter search is now possible in the Filter Preferences.
- “Collapse blocked elements” option has been renamed into “Hide placeholders of blocked elements”.
- “Count filter hits” is now a visible option.
- Added “Reset hit statistics” filter action.
- Added warning for filter subscriptions requiring a newer Adblock Plus version.
- Updating all filter subscriptions is now possible using Ctrl-Shift-T keyboard shortcut (not visible in the user interface).
- Fixed: Filter groups should also have “Show/hide filters” in their Actions menu.
- Fixed: ABP menu still has the old “Preferences” menu item.
- Fixed: Dragging a filter subscription might display as a button or menu being dragged.
Commenting is closed for this article.