Dropped support for old browser versions including Firefox 3.5 · 2011-10-04 10:59 by Wladimir Palant
Starting with Adblock Plus 1.3.11a.3172 old browser versions based on Gecko versions older than Gecko 184.108.40.206 will no longer be supported. This change is performed to simplify Adblock Plus code as well as to make regression testing easier again. This means in detail:
- Firefox 3.5 is no longer supported. Anybody still using it should update to a current Firefox version ASAP given that Firefox 3.5 is no longer supported by Mozilla and has known security issues. Similarly, Thunderbird 3.0 is no longer supported.
- Only reasonably recent Firefox 3.6.x releases are supported (Firefox 3.6.13 or newer). If you are running one of the older versions you should update ASAP, at least to Firefox 3.6.23 which is the current release on this branch. Similarly, users running Thunderbird 3.1.x need Thunderbird 3.1.7 or newer (preferably Thunderbird 3.1.9 which is the current release on this branch).
- Firefox Mobile 1.1 is no longer supported, at least Firefox Mobile 4.0 is required.
- SeaMonkey 2.0 is no longer supported, at least SeaMonkey 2.1 is required.
- Prism support has been removed. With Prism development no longer being continued the last release uses an outdated Gecko version.
- Songbird support has been removed. Even most current Songbird releases use an outdated and insecure Gecko version, so using Songbird’s browser component is not recommendable.
Commenting is closed for this article.