Detailed changelog for Adblock Plus 0.6
The following roughly lists the changes compared to Adblock 0.5.2.039:
- Clicking "Adblock" in context menu, main menu and status bar opens three different dialogs — FIXED
- Preferences dialog has buttons OK and Cancel instead of Done and Revert now
- Filter list in the Preferences dialog is a buggy fork of the default listbox widget — FIXED
- Menu in the Preferences dialog is the standard menu widget now instead of toolbarbuttons+popups
- Global key handling routine in the Preferences dialog untangled, making use of preventDefault to ensure correct key handling
- ENTER key is now interpreted like an OK click in the Preferences dialog (ESC key handling also fixed, see previous point)
- Flashing the selected/entered URLs works everywhere now
- Selecting "Keep list sorted" in the Preferences dialog menu applies immediately now instead of displaying a message asking to close and reopen the dialog
- Adding one menu item to the Tools menu instead of a submenu with three menu items
- Adding two shortcut keys to the browser window instead of five
- Not overriding CSS of the current theme any more
- No data stored in DOM or otherwise accessible from content scripts
- Limit interaction with DOM to a minimum
- Secure DOM access without XPCNativeWrappers
- Adblock sidebar (Firefox only) shows blockable URLs in the currently selected tab dynamically
- Whitelisting, compatible with Adblock Plus. TODO: Better whitelisting + UI
- About dialog, displaying the installed version number as reported by the extension manager (no need to change it manually with every release)
- Added three default filters as examples (not referring to any specific sites)
- Dragging URLs to be blocked to the status bar (no idea what this is good for but maybe that's what the removed drag&drop code was meant for)
- Enabling/disabling Adblock with a drag gesture on the status bar (another guess what this drag&drop code was meant to do)
- Localizations are possible now
- Decide what filters can't possibly apply based on host name — my original implementation was meant as a speedup, it has been severely broken since and turned into a slowdown. The way Adblock works now this speedup can't be used any more.
- Some weird non functional drag&drop code — can only guess what this was supposed to do, see "new features" above
- ObjectOverride — was replacing objects with clickable DIVs to allow blocking them, very easy to run into big trouble here. Definitely the wrong way to do this.
- QuickBlock — I couldn't figure out what this did, not even by looking at the code. Michael McDonald told me now (it removes images temporarily on Ctrl-Shift-DblClick) but I don't think more than 10 people know.
- Site blocking — very buggy and an absolute non-feature. Blocking a page that was explicitly requested — what does this have to do with ad blocking?
- Map area disabling — no idea how this is supposed to help block ads. If there is a reason behind this, there is no way for users to figure it out.
- Removing conflicting shortcut keys from the menu — that's really not a nice thing to do, extensions shouldn't do this.
- Extension manager window overlay to display Adblock version number in a different format — besides the fact that an extension simply shouldn't do this, the standard version number format is still visible in quite a few places.
- Installation of a component into the profile in browser versions that don't support this — my big ugly hack to do this was only meant as a temporary measure until proper support for installing components into the profile was added which happened long ago.
- Very dangerous uninstall code for Mozilla Suite
- Lots of bloated and buggy code rewritten.
- Many error checks added.
- Made different parts communicate properly (removed communication over preferences amongst other).
- In-line editing of filters in the filter list rewritten to produce less side effects.
- Removed nonsensical use of !important CSS flag.
- 60% reduction in XPI size
New known issues
- New preferences UI probably concentrates too much information/features on too little space. This needs to be worked on but is still much better then the current Adblock UI.
- Sidebar only removes entries when new entries are added, need to be more dynamic here.
- Sidebar could use some efficiency tweaks, to be done soon.