block everything individualy, keeps forgetting blocked items

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
emilin_rose

block everything individualy, keeps forgetting blocked items

Post by emilin_rose »

Well adblock isn't blocking what it should. i have pictures to help explain it.

picture one shows the filter i added
http://i61.tinypic.com/2e22mqg.jpg

which should block everything from doubleclick, but here are these which are not
http://i62.tinypic.com/200pu1e.jpg

Another huge problem, is that not only will it forget i set a filter for things, but sometimes it will change the filter to a grey X, and when clicked to re-enable the filter, will have an exception filter with a green circle.

Anyone else have these problems? or better yet, a solution?

much thanks.
mapx

Re: block everything individualy, keeps forgetting blocked items

Post by mapx »

probably you are not using easylist which already has this filter (and it's working fine for youtube)

Code: Select all

||doubleclick.net^$third-party,domain=3news.co.nz|92q.com|abc-7.com|addictinggames.com|allbusiness.com|allthingsd.com|bizjournals.com|bloomberg.com|bnn.ca|boom92houston.com|boom945.com|boomphilly.com|break.com|cbc.ca|cbs19.tv|cbs3springfield.com|cbsatlanta.com|cbslocal.com|complex.com|dailymail.co.uk|darkhorizons.com|doubleviking.com|euronews.com|extratv.com|fandango.com|fox19.com|fox5vegas.com|gorillanation.com|grooveshark.com|hawaiinewsnow.com|hellobeautiful.com|hiphopnc.com|hot1041stl.com|hothiphopdetroit.com|hotspotatl.com|hulu.com|imdb.com|indiatimes.com|indyhiphop.com|ipowerrichmond.com|joblo.com|kcra.com|kctv5.com|ketv.com|koat.com|koco.com|kolotv.com|kpho.com|kptv.com|ksat.com|ksbw.com|ksfy.com|ksl.com|kypost.com|kysdc.com|live5news.com|livestation.com|livestream.com|metro.us|metronews.ca|miamiherald.com|my9nj.com|myboom1029.com|mycolumbusmagic.com|mycolumbuspower.com|myfoxdetroit.com|myfoxorlando.com|myfoxphilly.com|myfoxphoenix.com|myfoxtampabay.com|nbcrightnow.com|neatorama.com|necn.com|neopets.com|news.com.au|news4jax.com|newsone.com|nintendoeverything.com|oldschoolcincy.com|own3d.tv|pagesuite-professional.co.uk|pandora.com|player.theplatform.com|ps3news.com|radio.com|radionowindy.com|rottentomatoes.com|sbsun.com|shacknews.com|sk-gaming.com|ted.com|thebeatdfw.com|theboxhouston.com|theglobeandmail.com|timesnow.tv|tv2.no|twitch.tv|universalsports.com|ustream.tv|wapt.com|washingtonpost.com|wate.com|wbaltv.com|wcvb.com|wdrb.com|wdsu.com|wflx.com|wfmz.com|wfsb.com|wgal.com|whdh.com|wired.com|wisn.com|wiznation.com|wlky.com|wlns.com|wlwt.com|wmur.com|wnem.com|wowt.com|wral.com|wsj.com|wsmv.com|wsvn.com|wtae.com|wthr.com|wxii12.com|wyff4.com|yahoo.com|youtube.com|zhiphopcleveland.com
or simply you can use

Code: Select all

||doubleclick.net^
but there are chances to break other pages / sites
emilin_rose

Post by emilin_rose »

I do have easylist, and i've set that filter repeatedly.

i notice there are a lot of them, including some doubleclick ones, in green for some reason. Aren't allowed sites supposed to be green? i just un- and reinstalled it as well, same thing.
Gingerbread Man

Post by Gingerbread Man »

Snipped.

Click the little icon in the Blockable Items pane, right above the scroll bar, but below the Reattach button. In the menu that pops up, check Filter Source. You can then really see what's going on the page. It may be that certain items are whitelisted either by Acceptable Ads or EasyList.

If you want to opt out of Acceptable Ads,
  1. Click the Adblock Plus toolbar icon and choose Filter Preferences.
  2. Click the Filter Subscriptions tab.
  3. Uncheck “Allow some non-intrusive advertising”.
mapx

Post by mapx »

Check your addons: remove adbeaver addon if installed
Keep enabled only ABP and test again.
emilin_rose

Post by emilin_rose »

Ging, i haven't done anything specific. That exact code up there? if you look at my first pictures, i literally just set everything from doubleclick to block. I've tried your filter suggestion up there too, but adblock keeps forgetting and not filtering. its very grating. I have the easylist, the pop up block list, and the adblock warning removal list.
mapx

Post by mapx »

What addons are installed in firefox ? I asked you to test disabling all other addons.
Also, disable all your custom filters and try again.
Gingerbread Man

emilin_rose wrote:Ging, i haven't done anything specific.
Did you check “Filter source” in the Blockable Items pane? Are items whitelisted from subscriptions?
emilin_rose wrote:adblock keeps forgetting and not filtering.
Assuming that's actually what's happening and it's not just that your filters are overridden,
  1. Click the Adblock Plus icon and choose Filter Preferences.
  2. Click the Filter Subscriptions tab.
  3. Click the Backup and Restore button, then Create New Backup.
  4. Set the file type to Custom Filters Only (*.txt) then save it somewhere handy, like the desktop.
  5. Type about:support into the location bar and press Enter.
  6. Click the Show Folder button. This opens a file manager window with your Firefox profile folder.
  7. Exit Firefox. Make sure the Adblock Plus preferences window is also closed.
  8. Back in the file manager window, open the adblockplus folder and delete all files in there.
  9. Add your subscriptions again and restore your custom filters from the backup you made earlier.
emilin_rose

Post by emilin_rose »

Ging: the filter column is completely blank for them. other whitelisted items usually have a gray font in that column.

Also, if i re-attach it to the page, it leaves a black unclickable bar on the entire firefox window. i can open others fine but any other tabs or new tabs will have the blank space there.

I tried what you said and it seems to be working though. Thank you for the help :) that was weird though, never happened to me before.

EDIT: Spoke too soon. still doing it.
Gingerbread Man

emilin_rose wrote:Ging: the filter column is completely blank for them.
I said Filter source, not Filter.