Overly-aggressive icon blocking

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
jGromit

Overly-aggressive icon blocking

Post by jGromit »

I was very puzzled when the navigation icons suddenly disappeared from my gallery software. Here's an example: https://jgromit.com/neptune/standard/. Click on a thumbnail, and notice the "close X" in the caption, and the "prev/next" arrows that appear on mouseover of the image. Those are being blocked if ABP is set to "Block social media icons tracking."

And I know why. The size of those icons is being targeted by some CSS, for example:

Code: Select all

.fbPrev2 .fbIcon, .fbNext2 .fbIcon {
	font-size: 40px;
}
The software in question is called Floatbox. It appears that ABP is thinking that those icons are Facebook. Not all fb's are created equal! :wink:

ETA: Firefox 69, Win10, ABP - not sure of version, but just installed fresh, with default options other than the one mentioned.
jGromit

Re: Overly-aggressive icon blocking

Post by jGromit »

The folks who maintain "Fanboy's Social Blocking List" have made a little patch that has taken care of this problem, at least for now. This has happened before, however, so I have to wonder how long it will stay fixed. Deciding what is, and is not, block-worthy content based solely on the names of the CSS classes is a sledgehammer approach.