AdblockPlus License

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
aniyan.rajan6

AdblockPlus License

Post by aniyan.rajan6 »

Hello,

I am planning to redistribute AdblockPlus extension along with a customized Trisquel Distro. The version of AdblockPlus is 2.1. I have installed this in my distro (Just put the .xpi it in /usr/lib/iceweasel/extensions/ directory). Then I made some customizations also in AdblockPlus. The install.rdf says that the license of AdblockPlus is MPL 2.0.

Will it create any legal issue if I redistribute like this (includes my modifications)? Do I have to include a LICENSE file in the .xpi package? (Actually, I am planning to sell my customized Trisquel Distro in the US).

So please suggest.

Thanks.
vinny86

Re: AdblockPlus License

Post by vinny86 »

6.3. Derivative Works

If You create or use a modified version of this License (which you may only do in order to apply it to code which is not already Covered Code governed by this License), You must (a) rename Your license so that the phrases "Mozilla", "MOZILLAPL", "MOZPL", "Netscape", "MPL", "NPL" or any confusingly similar phrase do not appear in your license (except to note that your license differs from this License) and (b) otherwise make it clear that Your version of the license contains terms which differ from the Mozilla Public License and Netscape Public License. (Filling in the name of the Initial Developer, Original Code or Contributor in the notice described in Exhibit A shall not of themselves be deemed to be modifications of this License.)
https://www.mozilla.org/MPL/1.1/

en/source
vinny86

Post by vinny86 »

second time i have done this :)
but how come here it is ver 1.1
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... lock-plus/
anonymous74100

Post by anonymous74100 »

And second time I've corrected you. :D

I guess Wladimir forgot to change the license in AMO, someone should remind him.
Latvian List maintainer
vinny86

Post by vinny86 »

PM'ed him
Wladimir Palant

Post by Wladimir Palant »

vinny86 wrote:but how come here it is ver 1.1
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... lock-plus/
That's because addons.mozilla.org to date didn't update their list of licenses - so I have to choose MPL 1.1 which is the closest thing... Adblock Plus is distributed under the MPL 2.0 license however.
aniyan.rajan6 wrote:Will it create any legal issue if I redistribute like this (includes my modifications)? Do I have to include a LICENSE file in the .xpi package? (Actually, I am planning to sell my customized Trisquel Distro in the US).
See https://www.mozilla.org/MPL/2.0/:
If You distribute Covered Software in Executable Form then:

such Covered Software must also be made available in Source Code Form, as described in Section 3.1, and You must inform recipients of the Executable Form how they can obtain a copy of such Source Code Form by reasonable means in a timely manner, at a charge no more than the cost of distribution to the recipient; and

You may distribute such Executable Form under the terms of this License, or sublicense it under different terms, provided that the license for the Executable Form does not attempt to limit or alter the recipients’ rights in the Source Code Form under this License.
You don't need to a LICENSE file but you have to keep the MPL headers in Adblock Plus files. You also have to make sure to notify users that MPL code is being used and give them a link to the source code (typically a source code repository). Typically this notification is placed in the "About Application" dialog but you can choose something equally appropriate.

Edit: I think that I now added MPL 2.0 as a "custom license" to all my extensions on addons.mozilla.org. I'm not counting on Mozilla to fix bug 715442 any time soon...