Adblock Plus typo correction

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
Anon

Adblock Plus typo correction

Post by Anon »

Today I noticed that Adblock Plus started asking me "It seems that you meant <website>. Do you want Adblock Plus to correct typos to protect you from malicious websites?"

This is a great idea in theory, but doesn't really work on intranet sites since we make use of a custom/private TLD. How can I either add the intranet TLD into Adblock Plus's list, or just turn off the feature altogether?
Anon

Re: Adblock Plus typo correction

Post by Anon »

Just to clarify, I get prompted every time I visit a different webpage on the intranet even if I choose "No".
Crits

Post by Crits »

To disable it:
1. Ctrl+Maj+F to open your Filter Preferences
2. Go in the rightest tab ("Typo correction" or something like this)
3. Uncheck the option
Author of Liste FR, an ad-blocking subscription for French websites
greiner
ABP Developer

Post by greiner »

Here is a list of the possibilities you currently have:
- open those pages by using bookmarks (Adblock Plus only corrects typed in addresses)
- click "No" when first visiting each of them (in case there aren't too many)
- disable typo correction feature in Adblock Plus
- add them via about:config (only if you know what about:config is and how to use it)
Hypershock

Post by Hypershock »

I got the message "It seems that you meant http://translate.google.com.ua. Do you want ...(etc)"
Even if I want the feature, how do I report false positives? I'm Australian and I have no need of Ukrainian google translate.
greiner
ABP Developer

Post by greiner »

Hypershock wrote:I got the message "It seems that you meant http://translate.google.com.ua. Do you want ...(etc)"
Even if I want the feature, how do I report false positives? I'm Australian and I have no need of Ukrainian google translate.
Thanks, we'll add that wrong correction to our list.

You can help us improve that feature by using URL Fixer which has an option in the settings that you can opt-in to to automatically send us anonymized data about false positives and such.
URL Fixer: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/url-fixer/
Blog post about typo correction feature: http://adblockplus.org/blog/typo-correc ... block-plus
rlauriston

Post by rlauriston »

When I go to chowhound.chow.com, Adblock Plus prompts me for "It seems that you meant chowhound.ehow.com." chow.com is not malicious and chowhound.ehow.com does not exist.
opentunings

Re: Adblock Plus typo correction: wtop.com

Post by opentunings »

When I try to go to wtop.com (a radio station in the Washington DC metro area), ABP wants to redirect me to twop.com and (apparently?) flag wtop.com as a malicious website. twop.com exists, but has no apparent relation to the radio station.
Goody

Post by Goody »

I'm getting this same alert. I'm trying to go to a subdomain at yuku.com, and it wants to redirect me to <same subdomain>.youku.com I have no idea if that other site exists and I'm not willing to go check it out. This is new today to me (on my work computer, it activated sometime after I went home Tuesday night 11/20/12) and only on this one particular site so far.
Leanne

Post by Leanne »

Having the same problem -- it tries to correct ace.mu.nu to ace.eu.nu -- ace.mu.nu is Ace of Spades, and ace.eu.nu does not exist.
Radik245

Post by Radik245 »

Please tell me which files are code for this function? Found typoSettings.js, but there is something else.

Скажите пожалуйста, в каких файлах находится код этой функции? Нашёл typoSettings.js, но ведь есть что-то ещё.
greiner
ABP Developer

Post by greiner »

We are going to include your reported addresses in our list soon.
Radik245 wrote:Please tell me which files are code for this function? Found typoSettings.js, but there is something else.
The core functionality is in lib/typoFixer.js. For a complete list of files that were added/modified here's the corresponding changelog:
https://hg.adblockplus.org/adblockplus/rev/514383601d7b
talonh

Post by talonh »

The typo correction is at best half baked and should be removed and rethought. I went to cars.com and it said it looks like you want to go to cams.com. Anything that comes up with a suggestion like that is broken.
greiner
ABP Developer

Post by greiner »

talonh wrote:The typo correction is at best half baked and should be removed and rethought. I went to cars.com and it said it looks like you want to go to cams.com. Anything that comes up with a suggestion like that is broken.
Why do you think that this feature is not ready? It does exactly what it's supposed to do. What we need to improve is the data that it uses to make those assumptions. The more data we have the better it is going to be. Read more about this in our blog post in which we also mention how you can help us improve the quality of the typo corrections:
http://adblockplus.org/blog/typo-correc ... block-plus
peter.m

Post by peter.m »

Adblock Plus wants to correct oed.com to ted.com. I already turned off typo correction before, but it seems to have turned itself on when I updated adblock.