Adblock Plus typo correction

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
JeremyInFairfax

Re: Adblock Plus typo correction

Post by JeremyInFairfax »

Wants to correct nmt.edu (New Mexico Tech) to umt.edu (University of Montana). Both respectable western US universities, but definitely not the same place!
Mir

Post by Mir »

It just asked to send me to sony.de from sony.se.

The "it seems that"-question needs a button "no, I actually meant it, please report false posivive".

I'm not joining an opt-in background program but I can push buttons when something is doing a false positive.
lewisje

Post by lewisje »

Goody wrote:I'm getting this same alert. I'm trying to go to a subdomain at yuku.com, and it wants to redirect me to <same subdomain>.youku.com I have no idea if that other site exists and I'm not willing to go check it out. This is new today to me (on my work computer, it activated sometime after I went home Tuesday night 11/20/12) and only on this one particular site so far.
youku.com is a Chinese-language video-sharing site, like DailyMotion
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.
rubbish

Post by rubbish »

typo correction feature is rubbish. please remove it, its very annoying and doenst work. also, if you want to build up a database (really, like all domains of the internet?), how will you prevent ppl from whitelisting really malicious websites? will you check them all by yourself?

please leave ABP to be a good adblocker, and dont ruin it by implementing failing typo correction users dont want.

and its not true that bookmarks are not corrected. happened to me. might be because of https everywhere redirects to https though.
greiner
ABP Developer

Post by greiner »

peter.m wrote:I already turned off typo correction before, but it seems to have turned itself on when I updated adblock.
Here are the facts:
- the feature is disabled by default (it doesn't turn itself on)
- you will see a notification when you make your first typo which asks you if you want to enable this feature
-> yes: enable feature, don't show notification again
-> no: do not enable feature, don't show notification again
-> x (close notification): do not enable feature, show notification again
rubbish wrote:also, if you want to build up a database (really, like all domains of the internet?), how will you prevent ppl from whitelisting really malicious websites? will you check them all by yourself?
Yes, we currently check each report manually (which isn't actually that time-consuming).
We're maintaining a whitelist because there are always more possible misspelled domains than correctly spelled ones. An example:
- correct spelling: google.com
- misspelled: oogle.com, gooogle.com, ggoogle.com, googe.com, gogle.com, goole.com, googlee.com, ...
peter.m

Post by peter.m »

OK, I rephrase it, I turned it off and after the update Adblock asked me again if I wanted to enable it.
greiner
ABP Developer

Post by greiner »

peter.m wrote:OK, I rephrase it, I turned it off and after the update Adblock asked me again if I wanted to enable it.
In that case it's a bug and we need to fix it. Does that happen each time after you start your browser?
ac

Post by ac »

wh.gov is not malicious.
spuddocoolzip

Post by spuddocoolzip »

I found the new typo correction feature to be somewhere between annoying and infuriating. Perhaps I missed the announcement that it had been added. I suggest you create a popup message when ABP is installed advising users that it's going to be enabled unless they manually disable it. It's a fine feature for those who want it, but I imagine that would be a small minority of users. I consider it a wart on an otherwise fine product.

Whose bright idea was it to send users to vk.com when they try to shop for Volkswagens?
lewisje

Post by lewisje »

spuddocoolzip wrote:it's going to be enabled unless they manually disable it.
It's not: Rather, there's an infobar the first time it suggests a typo-correction asking whether you want ABP to protect you from "malicious websites" and if you don't click "Yes" it won't be enabled.
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.
senate

Post by senate »

It is NOT disabled by default. Sure, the option is unchecked by default but the infobar still pop ups the first time you "misspell" a url. If you do not click "No" within a few seconds, you are redirected automatically. That makes it OPT-OUT, since it requires user interaction to disable.
greiner
ABP Developer

Post by greiner »

senate wrote:It is NOT disabled by default. Sure, the option is unchecked by default but the infobar still pop ups the first time you "misspell" a url. If you do not click "No" within a few seconds, you are redirected automatically. That makes it OPT-OUT, since it requires user interaction to disable.
It is intended to not redirect you the first time you mistype something. If that is not the case then it is a bug and we need to investigate what's causing it.
snoop

Post by snoop »

sf.net (Sourceforge) URLS are also misinterpreted by this feature.

It tries to correct openocd.sf.net -> openocd.se.net (which resolves via wildcard DNS, but there's no site there).

It would be helpful to have a form where these errors can be reported and tracked individually.
MonztA
ABP Developer

Post by MonztA »

snoop wrote:It would be helpful to have a form where these errors can be reported and tracked individually.
forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=11669&p=66644#p66644
duh

Post by duh »

I've just been confronted with this "feature" and I am disgusted by it.

It is quite clearly spamware that tries to trick users away to other sites, and despite all the weasel words it is the very definition of opt-out.

This kind of underhanded shit is actually worse than intrusive ads. At least stuffing a big fat flash banner in your face is somewhat honest.

Getting millions of people who hate advertising to use this extension and then quietly sneaking in this kind of crap which is the complete opposite is absolutely despicable.