Adblock Plus typo correction

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
greiner
ABP Developer

Re: Adblock Plus typo correction

Post by greiner »

duh wrote:It is quite clearly spamware that tries to trick users away to other sites, and despite all the weasel words it is the very definition of opt-out.
Wiktionary defines opt-out as
Wiktionary wrote:To choose not to participate in something
Adblock Plus does not force you to use this feature. It asks you once if you want to use it or not. It won't do any redirects if you don't want it to.
Gingerbread Man

Post by Gingerbread Man »

duh wrote:Getting millions of people who hate advertising to use this extension and then quietly sneaking in [...]
The new homepage is up. So both Typo Correction and Acceptable Ads are now prominently displayed, rather than being relegated to obscure blog posts.
http://adblockplus.org/en/features
faamulder

Post by faamulder »

dear ABP friends,

I am a happy user, and also understand your policy on letting some of the civilized ads through and make an honest buck. Praise!

I have one feature mishap: I have "typo corrections" switched off in Filter preferences (as it often times tries to redirect me, whereas I don't really make many typos, so this annoys me), yet the typo correction message occasionally pops up. Is it because I'm using old stuff (Firefox 16.0.2 on Mac OS X 10.5.8) or is this a general bug?

Thanks for keeping browsing a healthy experience.

Frans
greiner
ABP Developer

Post by greiner »

faamulder wrote:dear ABP friends,

I am a happy user, and also understand your policy on letting some of the civilized ads through and make an honest buck. Praise!

I have one feature mishap: I have "typo corrections" switched off in Filter preferences (as it often times tries to redirect me, whereas I don't really make many typos, so this annoys me), yet the typo correction message occasionally pops up. Is it because I'm using old stuff (Firefox 16.0.2 on Mac OS X 10.5.8) or is this a general bug?

Thanks for keeping browsing a healthy experience.

Frans
That sounds like a bug but unfortunately I couldn't reproduce it. Can you type "about:config" into your address bar and search for "extensions.adblockplus.correctTypos" and "extensions.adblockplus.correctTyposAsked" and tell me whether they are true or false for you?

It may also help to know which Adblock Plus version you have installed and which message you get (either "Adblock Plus corrected the address to ..." or "It seems that you meant ...")
T.S.

Post by T.S. »

do.com which is a nice online project/task manager by SalesForce is auto-corrected to some ugly e-commerce site that I have never heard of... dx.com
MonztA
ABP Developer

Post by MonztA »

Please report it here: forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=12625