Whitelist fails to unblock new Google Adsense ads

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
Wladimir Palant

Post by Wladimir Palant »

Dan, can we simply agree that there is a problem and start thinking about how to solve it? If you have an idea on how to stop user stylesheets (a lá userContent.css or Stylish) from affecting whitelisted sites - don't hesitate to tell me.
chewey

Post by chewey »

I just had an idea - not to solve the whitelisting problem unfortunately,
but maybe to avoid a bit of confusion: Since now ABP is able to detect
whether an element hiding rule was active, why not reflect this in ABP's
status icon, if there is a whitelisting active at the same time?

Maybe something like this:

With an added tooltip ("You've got elements" ;-) this would probably be useful.
Wladimir Palant

Yes, I thought about this already. We can do this now that we can detect element hiding matches. If nothing better comes up I will probably implement this approach.

Post by Guest »

I have to agree with Dan,

and i believe that the recommends subscriptions should have no element-hiding rules.

I don't know if its difficultly for the subscriptions authors to split their list like EasyElement and EasyList, but they should be encourage until this bug can be fixed.
BSG

Post by BSG »

j0nes wrote:I use Cedrics List as additional filter list. Additionally, I deactivated the following filters from this list:

Code: Select all

googlesyndication
google_ads
#iframe(google_ads_frame)
#*(adContainer)
#*(AdContainer)

@@|http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/*
I also resetted the hit statistics, and when I refresh the page nothing is marked as a hit. Don't understand this...

Anyway, thanks for your help!

Jonas (FF 2.0.0.3 German + AdblockPlus 0.7.2.4)
Hi there, sorry for stupid question, but how do i edit cedrics list to let me view ads on my site and a friends site? When I navigate to the above, I can only seem to disable full subscription to cedrics list :?

For me for now it only shows "Google Ads." I have ABP 0.7.5.1 and 2.0.0.3 FF

Thanks
Adblock Plus Fan

Post by Adblock Plus Fan »

BSG wrote:but how do i edit cedrics list to let me view ads on my site and a friends site? When I navigate to the above, I can only seem to disable full subscription to cedrics list
picture: http://adblockplus.org/images/73.png
see the green buttons?
click the green button to disable a filter.

As you can also see in the picture, to the left of each subscription list there is a +/- button to expand/collapse the list.
Wladimir Palant

BSG

Post by BSG »

Heh, dont you love it when its just so simple that you dont get it straight away. How obvious
/me slaps head on table.

Thanks Adblock Plus Fan and Wladimir Palant. Great support here.

Rgds,

Johannes
BSG

Post by BSG »

Bugger,

still not working somehow :( .
Disabled the above mentioned

googlesyndication
google_ads
#iframe(google_ads_frame)
#*(adContainer)
#*(AdContainer)

@@|http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/*
but it wont work :cry:

Thanks for any ideas...

Johannes
DavePlus

Simple endusers point of view

Post by DavePlus »

Hello,
Ik think I am experiencing the same problem, but the thread was a bit too technical for me, so sorry if I ask or mention stuff that has been covered already.

I have on my site a forum (phpBB) with Google AdSense adds. Adblock shows a kinda empty frame. Many of my users using AdBlock would like to enable the ads for my forum to support my project. Although I am happy for this, I don't know how to help them (and myself) here. Selecting 'disable for this site' (Not sure if that is the correct English translation, my AdBlock is in Dutch) doesn't do the trick. Is this what is meant by 'the elements are not whitelisted'?

For me having to instruct my users to perform all kinds of complicated filter abracadabra is not really an option, since most of them have little computer knowledge. For me, 'disable for this site' should have the same effect (for 'this site') as completely disabling AdBlock.

I hope I was able to explain my point from the view of a simple enduser & people who would like to support me by clicking on an Adsense add of their interest on my forum, but want to enjoy the full power of AdBlock anywhere else.

thx

Dave
Wladimir Palant

Unfortunately, that's exactly the problem with this bug - so far I didn't find a way to make "Disable for this site" apply to element hiding rules. So if your users have a subscription like "Cédrics Liste" that contains element hiding rules, they will need to disable those. Easiest way is to open blockable items (Ctrl+Shift+B) after disabling Adblock Plus on the site and reloading the page, then doubleclick each line that still appears in red there. The filter list will open with the relevant line already selected. You will need to click the green dot in the "Enabled" column to disable the filter and click OK then. No easier way so far, sorry :-(
chewey

Post by chewey »

Actually, I had an idea involving a modification of Gecko itself:
Would it be an option to add a negation capability to the @-moz-document domain() syntax?
This would at least allow for per-domain whitelisting of element hiding rules.
chewey

Post by chewey »

Someone else got the idea before me - and even wrote a patch!

I'll try to build a SeaMonkey with the patch from bug 349813 tomorrow to see how it works.
chewey

Post by chewey »

Works like a charm.
The incorporation of this feature would probably allow element
whitelisting - at least it works via userContent.css

I'm going to lobby a bit to try to get this into the codebase.
Wladimir Palant

Interesting... I will try to look into this. But I am afraid that it isn't flexible enough to solve our problems reliably.