Enhancements / features requests

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
Bob

Post by Bob »

mcm wrote:Bob, I've just added support for adding your own element types. Install the latest development version. Then change "adblock.elemtypes" under "about:config" to "//div|//elemType1|//elemType2", where elemType might be something like SPAN. Or if you want everything change it to "//*".
Hi,

I've just installed the latest developpement build, and tested it with this elementsTypes string :
//div|//span|//table|//tr|//td|//a

Then, I could block more than I expected
:D

But on some pages, I get a message from firefox that says that a script is too slow, and that I couls stop if I wish.

I think I expected too much from this setting.

Thank you.
Bob
Ender80

Post by Ender80 »

Hello, first of all thanks for developing this extension. I learned of it thanks to the spanish version of SlashDot (Barrapunto).

I post this here because it seems like a thread for feature requests, even if you are talking mostly about "div" blocking.

My request is that, if a site is in the whitelist, and has flash content, then make the little "Adblock" transparent grey thing not appear above the flash content.
If possible this would not work only for entire sites but for individual flash objects as well.

This would allow people to see webs who work with flash without having those small "Adblock" tags above every flash object.

Thanks for reading my request :)
mcm

Post by mcm »

There's an option to disable this in the original Adblock which Adblock Plus has carried on.
"Tools->Adblock->Adblock Options->Obj-Tabs"
airell

Post by airell »

mcm wrote:There's an option to disable this in the original Adblock which Adblock Plus has carried on.
"Tools->Adblock->Adblock Options->Obj-Tabs"
The object-tabs are realy easy add an filter for flashy stuff. But when an object is whitelisted, it would be nice the object-tab is removed.
Paulfox

Post by Paulfox »

I believe I read somewhere that DIV elements, if checked in options, are checked LAST when a page loads. First of all, is this correct? If it is - is there any way to "precheck" or prefetch" or somewhow check the DIV lements FIRST, as I belive that might speed up page loading (where people have seen a delay).

I was using a GREAT filter mcm helped me with for Yahoo "crap;" there is more and more of it lately.

Anyhoo, when a page loads you briefly see all the DIV stuff it blocks. It happens even if that page becomes saved in cache (as your email site probably would). Strange thing is, if I use RIP the cache "remembers" (obviously) and you don't see the "ad-flash" before blocking about 95% of the time.

ADDENDUM, 1 hour later:

Re-testing that, it seems AdBlock Plus ALSO gets "faster," as more and more yahoo pages are cahced - so my statement above about RIOP loading quicker may not be accurate! I saw no chunkiness after visiting same AB+ filtered pages 3-4 times, and the benefits of an AB+ filter over just "whacking out RIPped DIVS" is that you won't later have problems with something not loading (zooming in on a "My Yahoo" News Article Image, for instance) - AB+ was much more reliable and I HAVE RESTORED THAT FILTER and eliminated the RIP, re-adding RIP's only for the odd "advertisement" word or something not found in AB+ blockable elements list.

Is this possible with AdBlock Plus at some future date? I read that it's now using X-Path (like RIP) - sure would be a Godsend to use just ONE (AB+) for everything, especially one GREAT filter on a particular site-specific application.

AdBlock Plus, in my view, CAN do it "all" -- now if only the DIV checking could be sped up just a little or put "in front" of other processes? Is that possible?
mcm

Post by mcm »

Hi Paul, you are right DIVs are checked last after a page has loaded. Unfortunately DIVs are simply tags used in HTML code, meaning they are only available to find once the code or page has been downloaded. Any entire document could potentially be blocked before being downloaded hence I can block the entire HTML page ala site blocking or images, flash etc the reside in seperate files.