Adblock with Tor Browser Bundle

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
VenusAndMars

Adblock with Tor Browser Bundle

Post by VenusAndMars »

I am a user of the excellent Tor browser as of some 4-6 months and it is a joy to use. My standard browser is Chrome however and I use the equally excellent Adblock with that. It's such a boon to not have the irritating, whirling and swirling and generally annoying ads destroy the net browsing experience.

Last week a national newspaper site here in Sweden where Im from and which site is chock full of ads of every description have begun to ask that, in order to view their precious content, I subscribe. I think not.

I, fool, thought that the ads was the 'price payed' for viewing without being a subscriber, but there.is.no.end to corporate greed under the sun;) That great international news site worldcrunch.com is another example: pay or else you're out on your ass, buddy. No uncertain terms there. Well, occasionally the worm turns when trodden upon and Tor took care of these threats.

So, for my question: does the Adblock Plus plugin for Firefox work with the Tor Bundle? Thank you.
MonztA
ABP Developer

Re: Adblock with Tor Browser Bundle

Post by MonztA »

You mean this browser? I have just tested it and it works fine. You can simply install Adblock Plus for Firefox for it.
VenusAndMars

Post by VenusAndMars »

MonztA wrote:You mean this browser? I have just tested it and it works fine. You can simply install Adblock Plus for Firefox for it.
Yes I meant the current version of the Tor browser. In the days since I posted, it struck me that it is 'behind the scenes' indeed Firefox 17.0.5. So I did as you now suggest and it works fine. I know, I should have reported back here right then. Next time.

Post by Guest »

VenusAndMars wrote:
MonztA wrote:You mean this browser? I have just tested it and it works fine. You can simply install Adblock Plus for Firefox for it.
Yes I meant the current version of the Tor browser. In the days since I posted, it struck me that it is 'behind the scenes' indeed Firefox 17.0.5. So I did as you now suggest and it works fine. I know, I should have reported back here right then. Next time.
Thanks for the answer; there is no rush:) Yes, I have the latest version (17.0.9) so the problem is not that. Not a big problem though.
Spoon

Post by Spoon »

Tor Browser is based on Firefox ESR (Extended Support Release). Current version is 24.5, you are definitely not up to date and if you are using Tor for something important, you have to worry. You're like 10 updates behind :/

Edward Snowden's leaks show that the NSA has ways to exploit Firefox 17 and is actively targeting Tor users. Although Tor is strong enough, Firefox vulnerabilities can still make you vulnerable. So you should update ASAP. As a bottom line, Firefox ESR is updated every time Firefox updates, which is every 6 weeks (last time was April 29th). Tor Browser updates follow Firefox ESR.

Also you should set NoScript to disable Javascript globally at least for Tor Browser. Most attacks against Firefox rely on Javascript.

Post by guest »

Thank you for what you've done to make surfing MUCH better.

My guess would be that the question might be better put as TWO questions (I'm not trying to put words in the OP's mouth). At least for me it would be two questions.

1) Does it (the Adblock Plus addon) work using the TOR browser? You answered that it does, as you've tested it and you said it works fine.

2) The second question would then be (or maybe it's a couple more questions), "Is it 'safe' to use?" "Is using the Adblock Plus addon going to effect TOR in such a way that would make it so using TOR doesn't protect your anonymity any more?" The reason I ask is this:

https://www.torproject.org/download/dow ... en#warning

To quote that web link:

"Don't enable or install browser plugins

The Tor Browser will block browser plugins such as Flash, RealPlayer, Quicktime, and others: they can be manipulated into revealing your IP address. Similarly, we do not recommend installing additional addons or plugins into the Tor Browser, as these may bypass Tor or otherwise harm your anonymity and privacy."

Thanks in advance for your answers. Again, you are a big help to those of us who like to surf without all the extra ads that load on the web.
mapx

Post by mapx »

ABP increases your privacy level (subscribe easyprivacy list), blocks ads, hides other html elements.

Post by guest »

mapx wrote:ABP increases your privacy level (subscribe easyprivacy list), blocks ads, hides other html elements.
Dang that was fast! Thank you.

If you look on the link and the quote from the link.......why do you think that TOR says that then? Do you think that no one from the TOR team has tried using ABP? Or, maybe they just don't want to endorse any addons? Or.......some other reason?

I'm with you 100%. I've always loved using ABP on Firefox and other FF web browsers. I would have thought that TOR would have packaged ABP as part of the Tor Browser Bundle. After all, NoScript and HTTPS Everywhere are part of it and they are addons.

Look forward to your thoughtful reply.
mapx

Post by mapx »

"They" (tor guys) are talking about browser plugins like flash; for example in flash (a very complex plugin / program) there are a lot of bugs and "backdoors" which can permit to obtain privilege to execute all sort of commands in the system, install other software (malware). The plugins are executable objects, the addons (like ABP) are open javascript pieces of interpretable code (which you can see, it's not binary like the plugins).

So, it's the complexity of the 2 categories and the bugs daily discovered in objects like flash, realplayer and the fact you/experts can not read the code of these objects (proprietary software)

Post by guest »

mapx wrote:"They" (tor guys) are talking about browser plugins like flash; for example in flash (a very complex plugin / program) there are a lot of bugs and "backdoors" which can permit to obtain privilege to execute all sort of commands in the system, install other software (malware). The plugins are executable objects, the addons (like ABP) are open javascript pieces of interpretable code (which you can see, it's not binary like the plugins).

So, it's the complexity of the 2 categories and the bugs daily discovered in objects like flash, realplayer and the fact you/experts can not read the code of these objects (proprietary software)
That makes some since, thank you. It would make perfect since except for the statement listed above, that I will quote again (for myself and for others who may read this in the future). It says,
"...Similarly, we do not recommend installing additional addons..." [ See the full quote above, or here: https://www.torproject.org/download/dow ... en#warning ]

Tor not only talked about what you said, "...browser plugins like flash..." but they also listed "additional addons" which is why I posted the question. You'd think with how well ABP has worked for years that it would be added to the list of addons they DO have on the Tor Browser, i.e. NoScript and HTTPS Everywhere. Any thoughts? Ideas? Are "they" (Tor guys) missing the boat a bit?

Thanks.

P.S. Thank you for taking the time to put in all the details you have. I am not a computer person, I"m more of just a point and click person, but I've thought and believed what Ed Snowden said years before he said it. With all that goes on on the web, it's Big Brother's wildest dream come true (as far as tracking, etc.).
mapx

Post by mapx »

well, it's a general statement that for addons. It's true there could be malicious addons (not so dangerous like a bugged plugin) which could reveal your IP for example, but it's not the case with ABP.

Post by guest »

mapx wrote:well, it's a general statement that for addons. It's true there could be malicious addons (not so dangerous like a bugged plugin) which could reveal your IP for example, but it's not the case with ABP.

Sweet! Got it. You wouldn't happen to know of any good (i.e. not dangerous like a bugged addon) addons to stop cookies. I see that Tor doesn't stop cookies. It just says it clears them when you close the browser. Maybe one doesn't need some cookie blocking tool as Tor lets you surf differently than a "regular" browser might so that cookies don't mean what they would if you weren't using Tor.

Again, I don't know. Not a computer guy.

By the way, I've already installed ABP on the Tor browser and tried it out on Youtube. It works like a charm. I bring up the cookies thing because at the top you the Youtube pages, even though it's Youtube SE or NZ, etc. (i.e., it's Youtube in another country, not the US) Youtube keeps showing me: "Cookies help us deliver our services. By using our services, you agree to our use of cookies." Then it has two tabs: Learn more Got it

Weird. Any fixes?

Thank you.
Lumikai

Post by Lumikai »

It's worth noting that the majority of tor browser users will be using the default browser setup and won't have adblock installed. Having adblock enabled means your tor browser has a more unique fingerprint. As an example see the following regarding the use of noscript from the tor browser FAQ:

But there's a third issue: websites can easily determine whether you have allowed JavaScript for them, and if you disable JavaScript by default but then allow a few websites to run scripts (the way most people use NoScript), then your choice of whitelisted websites acts as a sort of cookie that makes you recognizable (and distinguishable), thus harming your anonymity.

This really isn't a huge problem unless you're trying to hide from the likes of GCHQ, but it does mean it may be possible for websites/companies to track your online activity as you may be literally the only adblocked tor connection they get, you would stand out from other tor users. As most companies only track you for advertising purposes however and adblock takes care of that it's likely not of great concern to you.

Kai

Post by guest »

Lumikai wrote:It's worth noting that the majority of tor browser users will be using the default browser setup and won't have adblock installed. Having adblock enabled means your tor browser has a more unique fingerprint. As an example see the following regarding the use of noscript from the tor browser FAQ:

But there's a third issue: websites can easily determine whether you have allowed JavaScript for them, and if you disable JavaScript by default but then allow a few websites to run scripts (the way most people use NoScript), then your choice of whitelisted websites acts as a sort of cookie that makes you recognizable (and distinguishable), thus harming your anonymity.

This really isn't a huge problem unless you're trying to hide from the likes of GCHQ, but it does mean it may be possible for websites/companies to track your online activity as you may be literally the only adblocked tor connection they get, you would stand out from other tor users. As most companies only track you for advertising purposes however and adblock takes care of that it's likely not of great concern to you.

Kai

Hmmmmmm.....

Mapx, what's your take on what was just said here.

By the way, thanks Lumikai for adding to the discussion. So, if I understand you correctly, by allowing adds and cookies in Tor, you think it's a better form of anonymity than using Tor with ABP and maybe a cookie blocker like Disconnect or Ghostry? Yes? No? Maybe so?

Thoughts?
Lumikai

Post by Lumikai »

So, if I understand you correctly, by allowing adds and cookies in Tor, you think it's a better form of anonymity than using Tor with ABP and maybe a cookie blocker like Disconnect or Ghostry? Yes? No? Maybe so?
Anything you install to the tor browser which is detectable by external websites makes your browser more unique than the average. The more detectable addons you have installed the more unique your browser. So yes, in theory you're better off leaving the browser with its default recommended setup.

Saying that; websites would need to specifically code to detect and track most of the addons you mention which I'd imagine isn't common practice across the web.. And even if they do see you as a tor user with a unique browser fingerprint they still can't directly identify you or your location from just that alone (if you browse sensibly).

Unless you're planning on leaking sensitive government documents or visiting bomb making websites I really wouldn't worry too much.