Im having a little trouble understanding site blocking :\

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
Hi

Im having a little trouble understanding site blocking :\

Post by Hi »

Hello all, I love this extension for starters but I am having a little trouble understanding how to do site blocking. :( I have a 10 year old daughter that I am trying to keep from going on MySpace (Which I am sure many might understand why heh). But it seems thanks to google there are quite a few ways around just putting myspace.com in as a filter and turning on site blocking :roll:. I was wondering if theres any way someone could help me out by suggesting a filter that woulld completely cut her out from visiting any part of myspace. Any help would be very much appreciated. Thank you ahead of time to anyone whose able to help. :D
mcm

Post by mcm »

Using Site Blocking in Adblock Plus should be as simple as this:
  1. Visit http://www.myspace.com/
  2. Open "Tools->Adblock Plus->Preferences->Adblock Options->Site Blocking/Whitelisting"
  3. Click on "Add Current Site".
However, I personally wouldn't suggest Adblock to block sites it's full of holes.
  1. If www.myzone.com directs you to www.mypsace.com then it gets around Adblock's filter.
  2. Someone could just disable the extension under "Tools->Extensions".
  3. Just use another browser like IE
Anyway what Windows supplies is a file that is used to map URLs to IP addresses. To block sites you can just set the IP address to your computer so that the page does not load, see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hosts_file
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts wrote:127.0.0.1 www.myspace.com
127.0.0.1 myspace.com

Post by Guest »

Thank you so much for the response and suggestions mcm. And thank you for explaining how AdBlock might not be the only way I go to block this heh. As your right she will more than likely figure out how to disable it eventually. I will try the HOST file adjust and see how it goes. From the sound of the link it should work out well. :) Thanks again!

Post by Guest »

Don't forget their I.P. Address!

127.0.0.1 www.myspace.com
127.0.0.1 myspace.com
127.0.0.1 63.208.226.28

You can put this code into adblock

Code: Select all

/(myspace\.com)|63\.208\.226\.28/
dnickell

Post by dnickell »

I'm getting confused by some of the terminology used here.

I would have thought *Whitelist* would refer to accepting a site. With MailWasher you *Blacklist* to mark a sender you don't like.

Could someone please set me straight?

Thanks
Calain

Post by Calain »

For the normal Filters:

The normal Filters are checked for each element of a website. If one Filter matches a element of the site, only this element is blocked.
The normal Adblock filter could be seen as a blacklist.
Now you add normal whitelist filter if you have false positives, to unblock them again.

For Site-Filters:

Here you have your own set of filters. Adblock only checks, if the URL of the site matches one of this filters. If it does so the whole site can not be opened. More important if it matches a whitelist filter Adblock does not check this pages elements, if something should be blocked. So it is also a whitelist.

While the first does not work like most known whitelists you find in web-tools (They mostly work like the second) it is nevertheless a whitelist. ;)
dnickell

Post by dnickell »

The reason I ask is because an online newspaper I visit daily has a Web Cam that people seem to enjoy seeing, expecially the home town soldiers in Iraq.

I've complained that because I only have access to a dialup ISP it's a PITA for me to put up with the constant downloading of the images. People can't see them if they are reading any of the articles! I've requested they put in a *link* to the Webcam but still get brushed off. It's rather stupid Web Page design to me.

Can I use the URL to that Web Cam as a blocked item while the rest of the site is viewable, including photos?

Thanks for your help.
Calain

Post by Calain »

Could you post a linkt to the site?
dnickell

Post by dnickell »

http://www.freenewmexican.com/

You may have to register to get aboard. The Plaza Web Cam will be opposite the first article, just above the Reader Photos.

Thanks for your help!