Problems customising rule with Element Hiding Helper

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
sremick

Problems customising rule with Element Hiding Helper

Post by sremick »

I'm having issues with the Element Hiding Helper. I have been getting into using the "Select element to hide" feature, and often I just click the element and it's the one I want and I'm good to go. But sometimes I'm finding I actually want to go up a few levels after exploring the element tree in Advanced View. The problems arise when I try to customize the filter by unchecking the boxes that were already selected and checking new boxes on parent elements. The resulting rule is a mess and not what it should be.

For example, I go to a Slashdot page and see an element area I want to hide. The best I can do initially with "Select element to hide" and the mouse is:

hardware.slashdot.org#DIV(id=fad1)

However, after selecting that and going to Advanced view, I see that the parent DIV would be a better one since it's class=ad1 which seems pretty obvious. So first I unselect the initial "Tag name" and id. My filter now looks like:

hardware.slashdot.org#*

I then go to the parent DIV branch and check the boxes next to "Tag name: DIV" and "class: ad1". Now my rule looks like:

hardware.slashdot.org##DIV.ad1 > *

When it should be:

hardware.slashdot.org#DIV(class=ad1)

What's going on?
rick752

Post by rick752 »

They both mean the same thing. One you start an x-path with the rules, the rule is changed from an "adblock plus specific" rule to a standard css rule (EHH supports both rules and there are advantages to both).

It seems that once you have done anything needs a css rule (like xpathing), unchecking the element that started that type of rule does not revert it back to the ABP-specific rule again.

Needless to say ... both of those rules are the same rule. A single '#' denotes an ABP rule .... Two '##" denotes a css rules. The 'dot' means "class" in a css rule. So " ##DIV.ad1 " actually DOES mean " #DIV(class=ad1) "
sremick

Post by sremick »

Ok, fair enough. However, would the inability for it to retain the filter type be considered a "bug"? While there very well could be advantages to CSS selectors, that's a whole new filter style I'll need to get my head around after years with the other style, and it won't be happening today (splitting headache) so I'd love to just continue to work with basic ABP rule syntax for now (especially since I'm pretty sure it'll meet all my needs). If it's a bug, who do I report it to?
Stupid Head

Post by Stupid Head »

If you're going invest significant effort into learning a syntax like you have, I would suggest you learn to use CSS selectors instead of the ABP syntax because it's more flexible and CSS is used by lots of other people. It's not hard to get started.

Code: Select all

#div
##div

#div(id=textad)
##div[id=textad]

#table(width=80%)
##table[width=80%]

#div(title^=adv)(title$=ert)
##div[title^=adv][title$=ert]
The only thing that you can do with the custom syntax that you can't do with CSS selectors is where you leave out the attribute like this:

#div(textad)
With CSS selectors, you would have to write two filters:

##div[id=textad]
##div[class=textad]
Which you can combine into this:

##div[id=textad],div[class=textad]
That's all it takes to get started.
What, me worry?
sremick

Post by sremick »

Ok, my headache is gone... I'm going to try and learn CSS selectors. :)

From what I've read, am I correct that the trailing "> *" from the example I originally posted is redundant? Meaning that:

hardware.slashdot.org##DIV.ad1 > *

Is the same as:

hardware.slashdot.org##DIV.ad1

Which is also the same as:

hardware.slashdot.org##DIV[class~=ad1]
rick752

Post by rick752 »

@ Stu:

Don't css identifiers need quotes? (I have alway used them when they exist in the page code). I have never tried them without before. Shouldn't your example of:

##div[id=textad]
... be ...

##div[id="textad"] 
:?:

*EDIT*
I just tried it and it seems that quotes ARE needed using css rules.
Dr. Evil

Post by Dr. Evil »

sremick wrote:hardware.slashdot.org##DIV.ad1 > *

Is the same as:

hardware.slashdot.org##DIV.ad1
No, it isn't. The first is "any child of a DIV element with the class 'ad1'", the second is "any DIV element with the class 'ad1'".

When you have selected an element to hide once in EHH, you can't change it without closing and reopening EHH, even though it would be helpful sometimes. You can only change why it's hidden (class and element names, parent nodes, ...).
Stupid Head

Post by Stupid Head »

@Rick
Quotes aren't need unless there is a space in the value. Are you getting all greens with this test: http://www.css3.info/selectors-test/tes ... equal.html

@sremick
The first filter blocks all elements inside the div while the second filter blocks the div element itself. So yes, the second filter would be preferred over the first. And the third filter is the same as the second filter.
What, me worry?