a website that blocks you if your using adblock

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
rick752

Post by rick752 »

Sorry, but I am not having any trouble going to the first page or reading the news articles via the links.

I can't help you. I'm using the EasyList, EasyElement, and ABP Tracking Filter subscriptions. I have no whitelisting there ... is there another subscription that you are using besides any of the above 3 that may be blocking something?
Jim

Post by Jim »

Thanks for all the help, I hadn't checked this thread in awhile and had just about given up, but for some reason it now seems to work for both sites.
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Can someone help me figure out how to read the pwinsider site with adblock plus turned on? I get that message. I'm not sure what I am doing wrong. Either I get the message or an full page ad. Any answers?
Jim

Post by Jim »

Sigh... Yes pwinsider is playing games with Adblock again. I wish I knew how to write my own filter so I could stop bothering the people here.
rick752

Post by rick752 »

Andrew wrote:Can someone help me figure out how to read the pwinsider site with adblock plus turned on? I get that message. I'm not sure what I am doing wrong. Either I get the message or an full page ad. Any answers?
Ah, I see those guys have been busy again. The ugliest sites usually are. This is definitely a "hall of shame" candidate :roll:

Add this and let me know when/if it changes again:

Code: Select all

@@/ads.adbrite.com/mb/text_group.php?sid=220152&zs=3732385f3930
Jim

Post by Jim »

The above code doesn't seem to work for me, it isn't producing any hits on the counter either. The old code that they just changed is sitting at 110 hits. I hope that info is helpful.
Wladimir Palant

Post by Wladimir Palant »

Rick, your whitelist filter works for me - but with it I get a fillscreen adbrite ad that I cannot get rid of. I think GreaseMonkey is better suited for this...
Jim

Post by Jim »

The only other thing I can think to mention is that I am also running NoScript but I have been using that all along so I don't think it is to blame.
rick752

Post by rick752 »

It could be NoScript.

The exception rule I wrote allows that script to run ... otherwise the text is changed.

Here is the additional code to block the full screen ad:

/files.adbrite.com/httpads/intermission_code.js?
... I think.
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Thank you Rick. I appreciate the help. Keep up the good work.
rick752

Post by rick752 »

Not a problem. Is it working for you now?
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Yes, this works for me now. Thank you for the help, much appreciated! As somebody who runs websites for profit myself, I understand the boat that PWInsider is in, they take on a ton of traffic for free news that often gets stolen from them. They have staff to pay, website bills to pay, etc etc. Their view is that if you don't want to pay for the free site via ads, then you need to buy a ad-free subscription.

The problem, I don't think they realize, is that they lay on the ads so thick tat it's a turn-off to many of their readers, who go out of their way to block them on principle. The ads are annoying, obtrusive and half of them aren't even relevant. Other sites for pro wrestling and MMA news limit their ads, ensure that they are relevant to their audience, and enjoy just as much popularity.
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Yes sir. These filters are working great. Again, thank you.
Gene

Blocked again

Post by Gene »

I've added all of the above filters, but sadly have been blocked again
Ares2

Post by Ares2 »

They are not getting tired. :)
Remove all the others and use these:

@@|http://ads.adbrite.com/mb/text_group.php?sid=219967&zs=3330305f323530|
and to block the resulting ads: