this is just unfortunate. :(

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
IceDogg

Post by IceDogg »

Have you testing using that method? Cause it doesn't work for me, and never has. Even just hiding the ads is detected.. at least when I try it.

Re: Add them to Support Websites

Post by Guest »

guest-Oh wrote:"To pass the needed information please check:
If you are using a firewall that you disable it.
Check that your securely setting are set to medium"
I'm the owner of EnvironmentalChemistry.com and will say that what ever site posted this notice in regards to ad-blocking is being stupid. These two things have no bearing on whether or not ads get displayed. Yes some Firewalls like ZoneAlarm Pro block ads, but this feature can be disabled without disabling the entire firewall.

Is someone is suggesting people disable proper security measures like their Internet Security settings in MSIE (not that anyone should be using MSIE) or disabling firewall software, they obviously don't have a clue about ad-blocking nor Internet security.

I do not allow free access to those who block my ads, but I do provide an ad-free subscription option to users. Oh and no simply adding my site to "support this site" which downloads the ads, but hides them will not work, I can detect if they have been displayed correctly or not.

I'm sorry to bust your illusion but most sites (mine included) don't earn revenue from ads that you allow to download but not display. I am providing a service, and I do expect to be compensated for my services. After all producing and delivering my content does consume my time, money and resources. Now I do realize that many users don't like ads and don't want to mess with their ad blocking settings for each site. This is why I offer an ad-free subscription option as an alternative means for users to compensate me for the service I am providing them.

Is users aren't willing to compensate me for my efforts by means of either allowing my ads to display properly or purchasing an ad-free subscription, then they need to find a different website to obtain the information they are looking for.
guest-Oh

Post by guest-Oh »

enviro-chemistry guy, your site looks quite interesting, and I would gladly whitelist it or pop over to IE to view it, ads and all. The internet is a better and richer place for having smaller sites like yours around. Having said that, and hoping that you see I wish your enterprise well now and in the future, I fear you are fighting something of a losing battle. Your laser-like focus on one particular type of ad revenue may be a less efficient use of your time and creativity than seeking out alternative modes of online revenue to support your efforts. I am guessing, and it is purely that, only a guess, that the reason that larger sites are not resorting to across-the-board ad-blocking-blocking is that they already see that it is not a profitable course of action, and that better alternatives exist. In the escalation of blocker against blocker-blocker, the effort on your side will increase, while at the same time it will become increasingly difficult for you to be certain that your privacy policies and security are being adhered to by the blocker-blocker, as the code and methods become increasingly complex/obtuse. But it is great to see you so involved in what you do, just don't become Ahab of the blocker-blockers.

Re: Add them to Support Websites

Post by Guest »

guest-Oh wrote:Sure, I'll just go ahead and disable my firewall to make sure your banners shine through loud and clear...oh, and can you fax me some power, I seem to be running a little low.
ROTFL

Post by Guest »

http://environmentalchemistry.com/ the answer too blocking ads there lies in gresmonkey ive made a script that blocks ads without getting redirected

Post by Guest »

link to the script, please