Adblock Plus starts late, impacting initial page

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey

Re: [549] Adblock Plus 2.6 starts late, impacting initial page

Postby mapx » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:09 am

add your comment on the bug tracker (#549)
User avatar
mapx
 
Posts: 21947
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:01 pm

Re: [549] Adblock Plus 2.6 starts late, impacting initial page

Postby User54421 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:26 pm

mapx wrote:add your comment on the bug tracker (#549)

You keep saying that, but i have not had a single response on there. much like everyone else asking questions.
User54421
 

Re: [549] Adblock Plus 2.6 starts late, impacting initial page

Postby mapx » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:30 pm

User54421 wrote:
mapx wrote:add your comment on the bug tracker (#549)

You keep saying that, but i have not had a single response on there. much like everyone else asking questions.


yep, the devs are looking there, not here. I'm a mod, not a dev.
User avatar
mapx
 
Posts: 21947
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:01 pm

Re: [549] Adblock Plus 2.6 starts late, impacting initial page

Postby mapx » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:32 pm

topic closed, continue here:
https://issues.adblockplus.org/ticket/549

go to about:config
find
adblockplus.please_kill_startup_performance

double click it ==> to true
User avatar
mapx
 
Posts: 21947
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:01 pm

Re: [549] Adblock Plus 2.6 starts late, impacting initial page

Postby mapx » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:38 am

topic reopened ==> anyway it would be better for all to post comments on the bug tracker ...
User avatar
mapx
 
Posts: 21947
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:01 pm

Re: [549] Adblock Plus 2.6 starts late, impacting initial page

Postby ant » Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:20 pm

mapx wrote:topic reopened ==> anyway it would be better for all to post comments on the bug tracker ...
Where is that and what's the status of this issue?
Ant @ The Ant Farm (http://antfarm.ma.cx) and Ant's Quality Foraged Links (http://aqfl.net).
ant
 
Posts: 227
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:01 am
Location: An Ant Farm

Re: [549] Adblock Plus 2.6 starts late, impacting initial page

Postby mapx » Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:21 pm

User avatar
mapx
 
Posts: 21947
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:01 pm

Re: [549] Adblock Plus 2.6 starts late, impacting initial page

Postby ant » Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:30 pm

mapx wrote:already posted above https://issues.adblockplus.org/ticket/549
Thanks and yay for a workaround (need a GUI option!)! :)
Last edited by ant on Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ant @ The Ant Farm (http://antfarm.ma.cx) and Ant's Quality Foraged Links (http://aqfl.net).
ant
 
Posts: 227
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:01 am
Location: An Ant Farm

Re: [549] Adblock Plus 2.6 starts late, impacting initial page

Postby someguest » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:32 pm

What is the last version of ABP that worked correctly?
someguest
 

Re: [549] Adblock Plus 2.6 starts late, impacting initial page

Postby ant » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:43 pm

someguest wrote:What is the last version of ABP that worked correctly?
Use extensions.adblockplus.please_kill_startup_performance to true in your about:config. It works. :)
Ant @ The Ant Farm (http://antfarm.ma.cx) and Ant's Quality Foraged Links (http://aqfl.net).
ant
 
Posts: 227
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:01 am
Location: An Ant Farm

Re: [549] Adblock Plus 2.6 starts late, impacting initial page

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:49 pm

ant wrote:Use extensions.adblockplus.please_kill_startup_performance to true in your about:config. It works. :)


That didn't work the last time I tried it in 2.6. Has this been fixed recently? There's no new info suggesting it has in https://issues.adblockplus.org/ticket/549.
Guest
 

Re: [549] Adblock Plus 2.6 starts late, impacting initial page

Postby ant » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:06 pm

Guest: Really? It worked for me on two of my Windows machines (XP Pro SP3 and 64-bit 7 EE SP1) with SeaMonkey v2.26.1 with ABP v2.6.2.
Ant @ The Ant Farm (http://antfarm.ma.cx) and Ant's Quality Foraged Links (http://aqfl.net).
ant
 
Posts: 227
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:01 am
Location: An Ant Farm

Re: [549] Adblock Plus 2.6 starts late, impacting initial page

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:29 pm

ant wrote:Guest: Really? It worked for me on two of my Windows machines (XP Pro SP3 and 64-bit 7 EE SP1) with SeaMonkey v2.26.1 with ABP v2.6.2.


Works for some people, but as you can see from the comments on the ticket, some it doesn't work for everyone: https://issues.adblockplus.org/ticket/549 There's a claim that 2.2.4 is the latest that worked, but that's really old and I think it has worked after that.
Guest
 

Re: [549] Adblock Plus 2.6 starts late, impacting initial page

Postby Guest13713 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:37 pm

Guest wrote:
ant wrote:Guest: Really? It worked for me on two of my Windows machines (XP Pro SP3 and 64-bit 7 EE SP1) with SeaMonkey v2.26.1 with ABP v2.6.2.


Works for some people, but as you can see from the comments on the ticket, some it doesn't work for everyone: https://issues.adblockplus.org/ticket/549 There's a claim that 2.2.4 is the latest that worked, but that's really old and I think it has worked after that.


Yeah, downgrading down to 2.2.4 seems very far. 2.6 is the version that introduced the issue by changing two major things. One of which "please_kill_startup_performance" supposedly reverts. but the change in how abp reads from disc is still there. and this is the part that needs to be "fixed" i guess.

The dev (Wladimir) said somewhere that the change in how/when the disc read is being made even (partially?) was in 2.5.1 but this is nothing I have noticed.(Not tested with latest version of Firefox, so it might have changed) and he have not elaborated on that part.



Older versions of ABP can be found here:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... /versions/
Guest13713
 

Re: [549] Adblock Plus 2.6 starts late, impacting initial page

Postby ant » Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:22 pm

OK, I saw Flash ads (had Flash plugin blocker to prompt to play or not) that weren't blocked on betanews.com a few minutes ago after I exited and restarted SeaMonkey. It is still better than nothing.
Ant @ The Ant Farm (http://antfarm.ma.cx) and Ant's Quality Foraged Links (http://aqfl.net).
ant
 
Posts: 227
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:01 am
Location: An Ant Farm

PreviousNext

Return to Adblock Plus for Firefox support

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: SonarB and 20 guests