Adblock Plus starts late, impacting initial page

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
mapx

Re: Adblock Plus 2.6 starts late, impacting initial page

Post by mapx »

add your comments here:
https://issues.adblockplus.org/ticket/418

the ticket was closed as invalid but you can still add your comments
Oded

Post by Oded »

mapx wrote:add your comments here:
https://issues.adblockplus.org/ticket/418

the ticket was closed as invalid but you can still add your comments
Apparently the developer is not willing to fix it :(
Too bad...
MonztA
ABP Developer

Post by MonztA »

Oded wrote:Apparently the developer is not willing to fix it :(
Too bad...
Did you miss this part?
trev wrote:Which doesn't mean that we shouldn't speed up things, that's subject of #145 for example.
User54421

Post by User54421 »

MonztA wrote:
Oded wrote:Apparently the developer is not willing to fix it :(
Too bad...
Did you miss this part?
trev wrote:Which doesn't mean that we shouldn't speed up things, that's subject of #145 for example.
Did you miss the part where we(all users) installed ABP to block ads? (if that means 1 sec slower start up....so be it.)

MonztA´s assumption looks just fine to me. Trev closed the bug report implying that he is not interested in seeing the real problem.. Thus a "fix" wont come any time soon.

Nothing about Trev´s answer is saying "hey we hear you, and ofc its not ok with adblock not doing its job, we will get on it right now."
On the contrary he seems just fine with addblock plus not blocking ads/tracking cookies as long as it loads fast, fast, fast.
locutusx

Post by locutusx »

Let's try to be more constructive and not be so nasty to each other... better chance of this problem getting fixed that way.

What is the impact to the development team if they were to implement a checkbox (or hidden about:config flag) which controls whether "new method" or "old method" is used, in this case?
Smaug the Great

Post by Smaug the Great »

I have the above mentioned problem too, but only on a netbook running Windows 7-32 bit. On my notebook with Windows 8.1-64 bit, it hasn't happened yet. Maybe this helps in determining the cause.
Me

Post by Me »

I've reverted to 2.5.1 and disabled automatic updates to ABP. Everything is great now.
Recommend the same to all. ABP should block Ads. Anything else is a bonus.
logan-19

Post by logan-19 »

Pure FF 28 and 29 versions, any additions isn't present, except Adblock Plus 2.6, I click FF icon panels of quick start of Windows 7. Image
Opens FF without Adblock Plus 2.6 (it wasn't launched yet to be launched in 4 seconds). Image
In 4 seconds Adblock Plus 2.6 is launched. Image
These 4 seconds, FF as though hangs, it can't be used, the menu doesn't respond, the address line doesn't respond.
It is very sad that so occurs, in version 2.5 such wasn't. :(
Subscriptions are disconnected.
Peterw

Post by Peterw »

Oded wrote:Launching FireFox 29 to a specific web page would open the page before Adblock starts. This causes the page to appear as if Adblock is not active. Reloading the page - works.
Is this a FireFox 29 limitation??
Sorry but Adblock 2.6 Plus needs work! I have gone back to the last version which is fine.......
tsunami2311

Post by tsunami2311 »

logan-19 wrote:Pure FF 28 and 29 versions, any additions isn't present, except Adblock Plus 2.6, I click FF icon panels of quick start of Windows 7. Image
Opens FF without Adblock Plus 2.6 (it wasn't launched yet to be launched in 4 seconds). Image
In 4 seconds Adblock Plus 2.6 is launched. Image
These 4 seconds, FF as though hangs, it can't be used, the menu doesn't respond, the address line doesn't respond.
It is very sad that so occurs, in version 2.5 such wasn't. :(
Subscriptions are disconnected.
Exactly only 2.5 abp made launching FF much slower. 2.6 FF launch much faster, as a result of ABP not delay launch of speed of FF but now FF hang while ABP is loaded, I honestly rather have FF launch slower then and have no hang do to loading of ABP.

But then i dont see why ABP should take longer then FF to load to begin with.

For now 2.5.1 is the ABP to use to avoid the problem.

I have i7 920 with SSD and really apparnt to me I feel for people that lesser cpu and hdd cause it really notice able on the laptops I have when using 2.6 abp
rex4

Post by rex4 »

Where is the 2.5.1 version please ?
mapx

Post by mapx »

rex4 wrote:Where is the 2.5.1 version please ?
https://addons.mozilla.org/it/firefox/a ... sion-2.5.1
rex4

Post by rex4 »

Thanks. Do you plan to make a change about this on a future version ? I just want to know if I shall look for updates or check to never update forever.
mapx

Post by mapx »

it's the decision of the devs (I'm a mod, volunteer, not part of the team)
Oded

Post by Oded »

mapx wrote:it's the decision of the devs (I'm a mod, volunteer, not part of the team)
Can you get the Devs to respond on their decision?

Thanks