about:config hack to restore icon/text to statusbar

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
sprak

about:config hack to restore icon/text to statusbar

Post by sprak »

Greetings; after completely removing Firefox 1.0.6 and my profiles from two different machines, I installed Firefox 1.5 and created a new profile on both machines. After installing Adblock Plus and all my other favorite extensions, I found that one of the machines did not have the statusbar icon/text visible despite any changes to the preferences.

The recent upgrades did not resolve the problem, so I did some digging in the forums and found no solutions that were useful. However, I did stumble across a clue that helped solve the problem. On the machine that was displaying the statusbar icon, I dragged the icon to the left of the statusbar and then back to the right.

Checking about:config showed that a new adblock variable/preference name was suddenly set. I created the preference and its value over to the other machine, restarted the browser, and cheered as the icon was visible.

So, here is what you need to do.
  • Type about:config in the address bar and hit <return>
  • Make sure your preference is already set to "Icon"
  • Right-click anywhere on the page and select New -> String
  • For the preference name, enter adblock.statusdrop
  • For the value, I used adblock-icon,foxytunes-statusbar-panel,statusbar-progresspanel,statusbar-display,colorzilla-statusbar-panel
  • Close every browser window and restart the browser
The first item in the value list is what will appear on the far right of the statusbar. YMMV on the actual value, but the important ones to place in their are adblock-icon, statusbar-progresspanel, and statusbar-display. The statusbar-* entries are system/browser items, and adblock-icon is the actual icon.

Note: 0.5.11 was not out at the time that I performed this fix; this fix was done on 0.5.10.X

Hope others find this useful.

Cheers.

Post by Guest »

I tried this with FF 1.0.7 but it's not working.
sprak

Post by sprak »

Anonymous wrote:I tried this with FF 1.0.7 but it's not working.
I've refined my instructions above a bit more to provide additional details. Please note that I experienced this problem on FF 1.5 using Adblock Plus 0.5.10.X and fixed it before 0.5.11. So, I can only say that the instructions worked for my install under those conditions; I cannot claim that they will work for every install/configuration.