Firefox using too much memory? Try this.

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
adrenaline

Firefox using too much memory? Try this.

Post by adrenaline »

After going through dozens of threads at number websites I have come to the conclusion that firefox itself doesn't leak memory (at least not substantially).

It's the extensiosns. For the last couple days I started with a brand spanking new profile and only installed Adblock Plus. Still my memory gradually climbed, never seeming to release memory used at flash-intensive sites. I uninstalled Adblock Plus and surfing was fast but the ads (mainly flash ads) still used up quite a bit of memory, but at least it would decline a little at times. I just couldn't live with all those ads, so I resurrected the userContent method. Eureka! Now I have a pleasant ad-free surfing experience with the best browser and without having to worry about extension-compatibility issues!

Here is the site where I got the userContent.css filters from:

http://www.gozer.org/mozilla/ad_blocking/

I have noticed a couple false positives but I had those with adblock as well.

Hope this helps someone else!
mcm

Post by mcm »

Not in my experience, Adblock stores information in the chrome for each page visited meaning as soon as the page information is lost like history cleared, tab closed etc the memory used should also disappear. I've tried opening 12 pages with flash content with Adblock enabled and disabled.

For me it actually uses the same amount of memory with Adblock enabled which suprised me as I thought it would be a little higher with Adblock. That was with no filters, because with filters memory was less which I'm guessing is because the blocked elements aren't being loaded into memory.

If you could provide steps using Adblock Plus 0.5.11.1 in Firefox 1.5 with no other extensions then if there is a memory leak I will have a chance of fixing it.