[fixed] Element Block Add-in issues?

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
UliWertlos

[fixed] Element Block Add-in issues?

Post by UliWertlos »

Posted this on Mozilla also - am hoping it is just a temporary error, but someone else there experienced the same so it is not just I.

Have used this for a couple years, and love it. Makes surfing the web at regular sites tolerable.

Today, however, there is an issue. It's like the element block is not functioning (or only partially) on about 75% of sites I use it for. Blocking is active on these, but all or most of the blocked elements are there. Don't know where to go to register the issue so I am here ... the comment below seems to be having the issue also. Hopefully some update will fix it. Reselecting the elements and hitting okay does not block.

Anyone else experiencing the same?
mapx

Re: Element Block Add-in issues?

Post by mapx »

-clear cookies + cache
-scan for malware / adware (use http://filehippo.com/download_malwarebytes_anti_malware )
-test again disabling all other addons
-uninstall / reinstall ABP
-still happens: you could reset firefox (but you have to reinstall all your addons, save your bookmarks etc.)
nonbongo

Post by nonbongo »

I have been experiencing this issue since the update to Firefox 36 yesterday. I don't think it has anything to do with the Element Hiding Helper Add-on, I think it has to do with AdBlock Plus itself. None of the element hiding rules are working anymore. I have tried reinstalling both ABP and the Element Hiding Helper with no luck. I have tried installing both extensions on a fresh profile with no luck. Please look into this.
AnnaC

Post by AnnaC »

Having the same problem. For no reason it's stopped working today and I can't ctrl shift f3 to block something. It's out of the blue, nothing has changed on my laptop. I've tried updating but it's just stopped working.
nonbongo

Post by nonbongo »

AnnaC

Post by AnnaC »

FWIW I'm still on FF32. Nothing has changed on my laptop, I have no automatic updates and the various filters were over a day old since they last updated.
nonbongo

Post by nonbongo »

AnnaC wrote:FWIW I'm still on FF32. Nothing has changed on my laptop, I have no automatic updates and the various filters were over a day old since they last updated.
now THAT is strange. what on earth is going on with ABP?
jonfondle

Post by jonfondle »

I'm having the same issue. Blocked items disappear with preview, but they aren't blocked when I reload the page.
UliWertlos

Post by UliWertlos »

In a way I am glad it is a broader issue - I have excellent malware/virus protection and doubted that was the issue as per reply #2.
I did uninstall/reinstall the ABP and Element Blocker Add-Ons, but no luck. I also cleared cache, but not cookies. Except for my banking I browse exclusively thru private windows and only have actually only 17 cookies (bank, email, and 3 for youtube).

For what it's worth, I did not upgrade to FF36. I am on FF 35.0.1. Clearly though, something changed for the later versions as comments are showing that here and elsewhere. Am sure it will get fixed eventually, but it's a nice reminder how essential these add-ons are if you want to browse the internet and not get hammered with visual clutter.

Given the commentary, am not going thru backing up everything and reinstalling FF. The issue is not on my laptop, I am relatively certain.

Post by Guest »

UliWertlos wrote:Given the commentary, am not going thru backing up everything and reinstalling FF. The issue is not on my laptop, I am relatively certain.
Exactly. It's the extension. I even tried Adblock Edge to see if that would change anything, and it didn't. Both extensions are no longer capable of enforcing element hiding rules.
mapx

Post by mapx »

choose a site for which you have added a hiding filter and submit an issue report, then post here the report's link
nonbongo

Post by nonbongo »

mapx wrote:choose a site for which you have added a hiding filter and submit an issue report, then post here the report's link
brother, we're not talking about one site. we're talking about all sites. element hiding rules do not work on all sites. i filed a bug report. there are some discussions on other forums suggesting that it could be an issue with a widely used filter, and that people should restore their oldest filter / patterns backup. i can't confirm that this would work for everybody, but it could work for some.
mapx

Post by mapx »

just submit that report for whatever site you want, ok ?
I need to see the filters on whatever page
UliWertlos

Post by UliWertlos »

I submitted one, mapx ... https://reports.adblockplus.org/a837fbf ... 83#tab=all
Only highlighted a couple issues, but there is other stuff showing that is normally blocked.

But I do know it is not on 100% of sites (one actually is fine) but most are partially or completely in the trash can. By partially I mean easily over 50% of blocked stuff showing. And if I look at the list of blocked items I recognize elements I blocked as in the list, so something elsewhere is amiss.

Thanks for looking at it.
mapx

Post by mapx »

yep, thanks for the report, I can reproduce it. As you said, there is not a general issue.