Porting request: Google Chrome

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
blah

Post by blah »

calande wrote:This addon works fine in Chrome, albeit still under development: http://www.adsweep.org
This code is pretty retarded...

lol @ using a linked list and a switch statement as a hash table... also at not setting !important in css.
Wisdom Fluxion

Post by Wisdom Fluxion »

fanboy wrote:Looks like someone has ported my list to the chrome fork iron, :o

http://himself.wordpress.com/2008/10/12 ... -built-in/
Iron is the best of the Chromium breeds.

adsweeper is lame

Too bad adblock format in Iron is slightly broken... maybe the pros here will post some pointers in the Iron forum:

http://www.srware.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=181
calande

Post by calande »

Wisdom Fluxion wrote:adsweeper is lame
Why? Doesn't it work?
fanboy

Post by fanboy »

Wisdom Fluxion wrote: Too bad adblock format in Iron is slightly broken... maybe the pros here will post some pointers in the Iron forum:

http://www.srware.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=181
ofcourse it is, it doesn't support wildcards.. which sucks.
telemachus

info collection

Post by telemachus »

Pistachio wrote:I will keep using FireFox until someone takes a closer look at Chrome.

I don't trust google anymore after seeing how much data they collect on us from watching youtube video.

The only thing left for google to do now is add everyone's data to street view, that way anyone can see where you live and what you do on the net lol.
they have already done this in google earth 5.0
Chrome User

Google Chrome soon open for add-ons

Post by Chrome User »

I read the current development version of Google Chrome has implemented add-on system. Did anybody have a look into that yet? Is it possible to make Adblock Plus for Chrome with it?
Wladimir Palant

Post by Wladimir Palant »

According to what I read, their "add-on system" works mostly like GreaseMonkey. No, you cannot have a real ad blocking solution with that.
compuchef2k

Bump - Is this ever planned?

Post by compuchef2k »

Is this ever planned for ad block plus?

I enjoy chrome so much more than Firefox, but I'd never leave it w/o Adblock plus, and I don't even do half the stuff it can do!
Wladimir Palant

Re: Bump - Is this ever planned?

compuchef2k wrote:Is this ever planned for ad block plus?
The short answer: no
The long answer: please read this thread
biniar

hotsfile.mine.nu - great ad blocking tutorial

Post by biniar »

One of the ad blocking routines I prsonally use is hostsfile.mine.nu it's essentially a software free way to block tons of ad's. And the best part is... it's just a text file!

Hope this helps someone!

[E]
Adblock Plus Fan

Re: hotsfile.mine.nu - great ad blocking tutorial

Post by Adblock Plus Fan »

biniar wrote:And the best part is... it's just a text file!
Caveat: A text file which can be potentially malicious.

I never recommend using host files made by people you don't know or trust. The thing is, host files has the potential to redirect you from good websites to malicious websites...
biniar

Post by biniar »

Adblock Plus Fan wrote:
biniar wrote:And the best part is... it's just a text file!
Caveat: A text file which can be potentially malicious.

I never recommend using host files made by people you don't know or trust. The thing is, host files has the potential to redirect you from good websites to malicious websites...
It's a text file used for the Windows OS, it's safe!

If you also wanted additional security, you can set it to "read-only" so no programs can manipulate this file.

And without having to run any additional add-on's or extensions it saves you ram!
fanboy

Post by fanboy »

Downside of host files is dealing with false positives and no ability to whitelist (which is major)
biniar

Post by biniar »

fanboy wrote:Downside of host files is dealing with false positives and no ability to whitelist (which is major)
hater.
Wladimir Palant

biniar wrote:It's a text file used for the Windows OS, it's safe!
Please read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hosts_file ... edirection. It doesn't matter whether programs can manipulate it, you allow hostfile.mine.nu to define the contents of this file.

The other problem with hosts files: you can only list exact host names. E.g. if you have to handle foo1.example.com, foo2.example.com, foo3.example.com you have to list each of them individually. And if the advertisers decide to add foo4.example.com then you will have to add it to the list - no way do handle an entire domain.