Porting request: Google Chrome

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
Elvoret

Porting request: Google Chrome

Post by Elvoret »

Hi,

Today Google has released great browser - Google Chrome. But when I've tried to surf the web, I saw lots of ads! Just because there's no adBlockPlus for Chrome.

My suggestion is to port adBlockPlus to Google Chrome. Lots of users all over the world will be very grateful when it will be done.
dfault312

Post by dfault312 »

i second that request!
Astronot

Post by Astronot »

I concur. Unlikely though, since an extension api is not yet implemented. I would run a custom abp build of chrome though!
Adblock Plus Fan

Re: Porting request: Google Chrome

Post by Adblock Plus Fan »

Elvoret wrote:My suggestion is to port adBlockPlus to Google Chrome.
Chrome is based on webkit, so this isn't going to happen easily just like that.

Sorry for being an a--hole but I have to disagree. I hope wladimir sticks to gecko browsers and dedicate his valuable/limited time for those only.
rick752

Post by rick752 »

I feel that looking to port an adblocker that blocks ads and tracking to a web browser made by a company that serves ads and tracks people may not be possible

Google's tracking will be totally unstoppable as you will have given them 'the key to the door' by installing a piece of software that you will use to browse the entire web. Also consider your online business and purchases .. and any other webmail you may use .... etc, etc

Can anyone say "Goodbye privacy"? :?

No thanks. I'll stick with Firefox.
Last edited by rick752 on Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elvoret

Post by Elvoret »

Adblock Plus Fan wrote:Sorry for being an a--hole but I have to disagree. I hope wladimir sticks to gecko browsers and dedicate his valuable/limited time for those only.
If this won't happen in the next few months, looks like I will have to spend my valuable/limited time to port it 8)
Adblock Plus Fan

Post by Adblock Plus Fan »

Elvoret wrote:If this won't happen in the next few months, looks like I will have to spend my valuable/limited time to port it 8)
By all means, feel free to do so right away. I recommend you have a look at the lastest dev build and start from there. It has some awesome new features.
rick752

Post by rick752 »

If Wladimir takes a good look into Chrome, I would not be surprised if he found some things about it that are a bit 'shady'.

I am already suspicious .... like Netscape and AOL :?
Last edited by rick752 on Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

dfault312 wrote:i second that request!
One more :!:
Alasdairrr

Post by Alasdairrr »

Thirded. I would really appreciate AdBlockPlus, as having used Chrome for a few hours now, it's going to be my primary web browser.
Elvoret

Post by Elvoret »

Currently Chrome cannot be extended by 3rd parties:
mbelshe@chromium.org

Right now, there is no extensions mechanism. This is obviously a
Chrome weakness, but one which will be addressed soon.
Mike
Quote from http://groups.google.com/group/chromium ... 5eb095f737

So until Google will publish new extendable version of Chrome we can't do anything about it.
Bill

Post by Bill »

I MUST HAVE THIS TOO
ad-hater

RE: chrome

Post by ad-hater »

I've been trying this browser for a couple of hours and it's a solid piece of software...
And it would be a lot more useful if we can use ABP in it

So please, keep that in mind
rick752

Post by rick752 »

Ah .. just as I thought.

"Be sure to read Chrome's fine print" -CNet

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17939_109-10030522-2.html
Pistachio

Post by Pistachio »

I will keep using FireFox until someone takes a closer look at Chrome.

I don't trust google anymore after seeing how much data they collect on us from watching youtube video.

The only thing left for google to do now is add everyone's data to street view, that way anyone can see where you live and what you do on the net lol.