A new version of Adblock Plus is ready to be installed.

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
SnideClyde

A new version of Adblock Plus is ready to be installed.

Post by SnideClyde »

I get this irritating message box daily. I don't even know if it comes from adblock.org. There is no way to tell. Can't this be stopped? By the way my version of adblock is 2.6.8 and people here are talking about 1.1 and 1.2......??
mapx

Re: A new version of Adblock Plus is ready to be installed.

Post by mapx »

SnideClyde wrote:I get this irrirating message box daily. I don't even know if it comes from adblock.org. There is no way to tell. Can't this be stopped? By the way my version of adblock is 2.6.8 and people are talking about 1.1 and 1.2......??
Why are you posting in internet explorer forum ? 2.6.8 is the version for firefox. I'll move your post there.
Anyway, could you post a screenshot of that message ? ABP for firefox doesn't push such messages
Keithxxyyzz

Post by Keithxxyyzz »

I found the message alarming.

Getting users used to responding "yes" to strange non-standard pop-up messages like this is a security vulnerability.

My Firefox add-ons are all set to automatically update -- none of them should be asking permission to update.

Therefore anything that asks permission to update is strongly suspect.

And re-downloading and re-installing Adblock Plus to see the version numbers did not change and to have this message still appear -- well that pretty much confirmed I had a virus.

So I ran an AV scan with Kaspersky.

Finding nothing I disconnected FF Sync and then uninstalled and re-installed Firefox.

So now I find it is a "feature" in Adblock Plus.

Steps to replicate:
1. Install Firefox
2. Install Adblock Plus
3. Use the computer for a couple of weeks.
4. Observe at some point the message "A new version of Adblock Plus is ready to be installed. Do you want to install it now?" will appear.
5. Don't be silly and click yes to mysterious messages asking your to click yes and do installs instead:
6. Go to the adblockplus.org website and install the latest Adblock Plus from there.
7. Use the computer for a few more hours.
8. Observe the message "A new version of Adblock Plus is ready to be installed. Do you want to install it now?" continues to appear every so often despite the fact that you seem to have the latest version installed.
9. Go to Firefox Add-ons (Hamburger Icon -> Addons).
10. Observe the version number of Adblock Plus.
11. Remove Adblock Plus.
12. Go to the adblockplus.org website and install the latest Adblock Plus from there.
13. Use the computer for a few more hours.
14. Observe the message "A new version of Adblock Plus is ready to be installed. Do you want to install it now?" continues to appear every so often despite the fact that you seem to have the latest version installed.

I'm using Firefox 42.0 on a Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit system with all the standard Microsoft Update updates. I run Kaspersky Total Security 16.0.0.614(c). The problem also occurred with Firefox version 41.

Adblock Plus version 2.6.11.

The Adblock Plus settings are:
- Show tabs on Flash and Java enabled.
- Count filter hits enabled.
- Sync Adblock Plus settings enabled.
- Adblock Warning Removal List disabled.
- EasyList enabled.
- Disable Malware enabled.
- No custom filters (they all disappeared during debugging).

Adblock Plus is intended for ordinary user use. It should be as simple to use as possible. It should follow the normal standards and practices as much as possible, except when there is a strong reason to deviate. Adblock Plus should not require a lot of research to install and maintain.

So please eliminate these annoying, pointless and non-standard messages which would get users used to unsafe computer habits.

I'd like you guys to do something along these lines to remove this bug and security vulnerability:

1. Please have a default to install updates automatically, so as to keep the plug-in at the current production release version. No prompting or responses should be required.

2. Please have the version available for download on your website be the the current production release version so we aren't getting strange "click to update" messages immediately after manually updating.

I know this is a long message, but I wanted to be sure I had all the details you need in it.

You're doing a very good job overall. Your Adblock Plus product is otherwise very good and I frequently recommend it to people.

Thanks for your time on this.

- Keith
elleepo

Post by elleepo »

I too have been living for some time with a window popping up telling me that there is a new version of Adblock Plus available, and asking if I want to install it. In the past I've clicked on yes, uninstalled & reinstalled Adblock Plus, yet I am still informed of the new version. The popup occurs maybe weekly or longer, so it would be hard/impossible to reproduce by the average user.

My system is Windows 7 32 bit, and I'm using Firefox version 42.0. Adblock plus is at version 2.6.11, and auto update is set to on.

Any help to resolve this issue would be appreciated.
mapx

Post by mapx »

go to about:config

search for:
app.update.mode

what value is assigned to this element ?

see also
app.update.auto

see also the related preferences:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/App.update.mo ... ir_effects
elleepo

Post by elleepo »

Thank you for your response. The values you asked about are:

app.update.mode 1

app.update.auto true

I also found this

extensions.adblockplus.currentVersion 2.6.11

which is the latest version of AdBlock.

Thanks!