ABC.com and full episode videos viewing

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
rick752

Post by rick752 »

Update all EasyList subscriptions:

and THEN use the link that Liz supplied if the screen is still blank. Everything seems to be working fine at home here too after fixing the EasyList and installing the move plug-in from that site.
SexinStilettos

I NEED HELP

Post by SexinStilettos »

ok u guys im not a genius and it's 3am

haha. can u guys email me step by step instructions for what will work.

i tried adding it to the list

but im confused when u guys are talking about activex or whatever.

Moderated: Email address removed - that's a forum, please keep the discussion here where it can help other people as well.
rick752

Post by rick752 »

Here's what to do:

If you are using my subscriptions (EasyLists), update them first. If not, you should probably add this whitelisting rule:
  • @@http://*.abc.go.com/fep/player?src=
Next, go to Liz's link:
http://dynamic.abc.go.com/streaming/check?aff=
.. and install the plugin from there.

It worked for me on 2 computers :)
LisaMary123

abc.com full episode player won't run in Firefox on Mac

Post by LisaMary123 »

I've read all the posts in this forum and was able to use the link Liz provided to get farther than ever. It played the commercial, and then never loaded the full episode. The link seems to take you to the previous full episode viewer that abc was using last season.

It appears all the posts I've read so far are from people on PC's. I'm on a Mac and having the same problems. I have no extensions running in Firefox and no add-ins. I have made abc.com an exception to ad blocker as well. Some of the other suggestions, such as whitelisting, make no sense. Is that a PC thing? Can anyone help with a Mac?
NTSC

Re: abc.com full episode player won't run in Firefox on Mac

Post by NTSC »

LisaMary123 wrote:I'm on a Mac and having the same problems. I have no extensions running in Firefox and no add-ins. I have made abc.com an exception to ad blocker as well. Some of the other suggestions, such as whitelisting, make no sense. Is that a PC thing? Can anyone help with a Mac?
The whitelisting is only for users of the Adblock Plus Firefox add-on (this being Adblock Plus message board.) If you don't have any Firefox add-ons then just ignore that.

You say though that you added abc.com to "ad blocker", are you running third party ad-blocking software e.g. Norton Antispam?

(The problem seems to be mostly on ABC's side of things, you can find more discussion of the issue in this topic on ABC's message board.)
NTSC

Post by NTSC »

A post to that topic suggests trying this alternate site:

http://www.wfaa.com/abc/

It doesn't have all of the programs available on the main site, unfortunately.
LisaMary123

ABC full episode viewer

Post by LisaMary123 »

Thanks for the link to the alternate site. It appears to be the old episode viewer program from last year. Even though it worked for me then, it won't work now. It lets me watch the advertisement (why am I not surprised), but the episode refuses to start playing. This is true in both Safari and Firefox. Not sure what to do, but will keep researching the internet to see if someone comes up with a solution.
jen

THE fix for ABC Full Episode Player

Post by jen »

This is THE answer to fixing your ABC Full Episode Player. I have tried it all and this is the only thing that works.

You must download the latest version of Adobe Flash Player, just go to Adobe.com and download what the last version is (for me, it was Version 10). Takes about 2 minutes to download. Then "restart" your computer. Go back to ABC.com and you'll be able to view your shows!
mcbake

abc player

Post by mcbake »

you just need to enable a javascript setting in firefox to get it to work. Enable javascript to allow 'move or resize windows'
clouds

Post by clouds »

I used the link, all I get is code_ad parcer error.
clouds

Re: abc player

Post by clouds »

mcbake wrote:you just need to enable a javascript setting in firefox to get it to work. Enable javascript to allow 'move or resize windows'
Thank you, mcbake...This is what finally worked for me.
decolady

absolutely HATE the new player...

Post by decolady »

NOTHING, on any forum (and i've been on two weeks straight) has helped rememdy the situation.

abc.com is just sitting on their arses,and being completely unhelpful. (aside from sending me a dumb ass form letter telling me to make sure i have "good bandwitdth" and that it doesn't work on AOL. wow. thanks for all that pertinent info)

all that happens when i try to load the launcher (from ANY link)

is i get this message:

Unfortunately, an error had occured.
Please try again later.
If you'd like to tell us about the error,
please mention error code: player_'Video';'2';'Unable to create adequate video renderer'

im at my wit's end.

speed, firefox 3.0.5, pentium 4 processor, 3mbps speed...

i've done EVERYthing in my power that i know...
and nothing.

WHY couldn't they leave well enough alone???
lostdave

decolady ur right on it

Post by lostdave »

Decolady,
I'm with you. I have the same exact error. Ugh, pissers couldn't leave well enough alone.
tjd

abc player

Post by tjd »

I had the same error message mentioned above re: unable to create adequate video renderer. I increased hardware acceleration by one notch which seems to have solved the problem. You can manually adjust hardware acceleration by going to control panel, display, settings, advanced, troubleshoot.
Dan99

ABC Video player Not Working: Finally - the solutions!!!

Post by Dan99 »

OK! After 5 months of searching for solutions for the ABC (and CW) video player problems and trying them ALL: I have found the solutions, and this is the summary (this includes, seeing the commercials, but not the video, getting the message "adequate renderer not found" etc.):

The player is extremely sensitive to all sorts of ridiculous software and hardware issues. It's not that it doesn't work, it's that you don't realize what it needs to run. Your set-up has to be literally 'perfect.'

1) First make certain that you have ALL the required software and updated plug-ins (Flash etc.). Go to the ABC player area that tells you exactly ALL the components. Install and restart.

2) Be certain Java is enabled (both IE and Firefox).

3) Review a few other forums searching under "ABC video doesn't play". There are several idiosyncratic programs that prevent/interfere/block the player, or special settings that might need to be adjusted. Don't obsess, just check a few and make those adjustments for your system as necessary.

4) Here's the final kicker that prevented me from being able to use it for all these months: The driver for my video controller was not installed. For ALL my computer needs, it didn't matter one bit. But when I went to Device Manager (control panel, system - hardware - Device manager), and looked, there was a yellow question mark next to it. I then used Microsoft's automatic installation feature (double click the icon to bring this up) to search the web for the right driver). It installed it. I restarted the computer and... Boom ABC video playing the way it always did - almost a year ago.

In other words, now that EVERYTHING was installed, flash, Java enabled, video driver installed, NOW, only NOW would it play. Ridiculous!!!!!!!