Adblock Plus 0.6 Announcement

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey

Re: Goodwill and Consideration to Users

Post by Guest »

RDL wrote:
mcm wrote:Actually a couple of things I have been debating the pros and cons with Wladimir is this:

Do poeple think the name of the new Adblock Plus version should be renamed to something else e.g. Adblock Lite. One that might better express Wladimir's goal of a fast, small Adblock. Will this help with the confusion or just add to it.

And also should the new version be linked to the auto-update or should people be given the choice to upgrade because of the differences.
Dear mcm

I for one would like to see 'Adblock Plus' and its name continueing under your controlling management.

At least you have never given me the impression of being grossly inconsiderate, inflexible, domineering or bullying.

Nor have you ever, by precipitous and utterly insensitive behaviour, thrown hundreds, (quite possibly, thousands) of trusting users into severe confusion and anxiety.

Given your gentle, friendly and helpful approach, I think there may well be many others who react as I do to this entirely disgraceful affair.

Cordially yours

RDL
No way in heck should the update be linked to adblock plus 0.6 it's a total downgrade as far as i know.

I aggree 10000% with RDL.
mcm

Post by mcm »

Thank you guys for the support and sentiment. However, this new version won't remove all links to download v0.5 and will continue to be available if you want it. If you find bugs I will continue to fix them, but will no longer be making any other changes.

It looks as if the name for v0.6 will stick but v0.5 will not auto-update to it. If people want to give it a go or try then they can do so by downloading and installing again (which they need to know about so they can remove or disable v0.5 since the GUID is different).

And yes believe it or not Adblock 0.6 is still in development. I have actually had a chance now to play with it myself. But that's all I'm allowed to say.

Post by Guest »

lol.. sweet.

Post by Guest »

Heh, they finally invited you to join 0.6. Good decision guys. :)
Wladimir Palant

Post by Wladimir Palant »

Thanks for the nice feature requests, I've filed some bugs on them so I don't forget:

http://bugzilla.mozdev.org/show_bug.cgi?id=12867
http://bugzilla.mozdev.org/show_bug.cgi?id=12869
http://bugzilla.mozdev.org/show_bug.cgi?id=12870
http://bugzilla.mozdev.org/show_bug.cgi?id=12871
http://bugzilla.mozdev.org/show_bug.cgi?id=12872
http://bugzilla.mozdev.org/show_bug.cgi?id=12873

As to the last feature request: downloading something we have blocked is rather difficult. I'll try to push some changes into Gecko 1.9 (need it for other things as well) but this won't be released until 2007.
How come the sidebar states this site is whitelisted listing no blockable elements when I haven't selected that option?
The context menu only looks for specific filters. If you've added other whitelisting filters by yourself these won't be found. This should be more clear, I agree.
Also when I enter a new filter in AP 6.0.2 clicking on OK doesn't close the dialog window and produces this error in the console:
Just great :-(
Well, no idea what caused this, it was working fine before 0.6.0.2 and I didn't touch anything near this. I'll have to look into it.
One other minor issue, if I open the sidebar on a blank page it says "Not a remote page". I was quite confused with this at first until I realised Adblock can't list blockable items for pages loaded from the computer and is what I think you meant. Maybe for a blank page you should simply state "No blockable items" to avoid confusion.
I actually thought this would help avoid confusion :)
I'll think about changing the description back or maybe rewrite it.

Post by Guest »

Wladimir Palant wrote:As to the last feature request: downloading something we have blocked is rather difficult. I'll try to push some changes into Gecko 1.9 (need it for other things as well) but this won't be released until 2007.
Hmm, ok just an idea. BTW I remember a discussion in the adblock forums about when you save a page with elements blocked by Adblock to disk it also saves all the blocked ads. Someone suggested that the "src" attribute should be removed when the images are blocked to prevent this from happening. I take it this "src" attribute can't help with the idea of downloading blocked content?

Also the idea about platform dependent linebreaks actually came from the changelog of one of the Adblock Plus 0.5 versions. I think it was something in the filterlist.js file that provided the ability.

Post by Guest »

The context menu only looks for specific filters. If you've added other whitelisting filters by yourself these won't be found. This should be more clear, I agree.
Ah so whitelist filters actually unblock the entire site as well. Do they still unblock individual elements that don't originate from the visited site?
I actually thought this would help avoid confusion :)
I'll think about changing the description back or maybe rewrite it.
Oh I think it does, I was only confused about it for a blank page. But for pages loaded from the computer I think it is a great idea (maybe test for "file://..." in the site's URL). But it was only a minor confusion.
Wladimir Palant

BTW I remember a discussion in the adblock forums about when you save a page with elements blocked by Adblock to disk it also saves all the blocked ads. Someone suggested that the "src" attribute should be removed when the images are blocked to prevent this from happening.
ImgLikeOpera does things like this, I wanted to dig into the code when I have some time. This is pretty hacky and unreliably though, I would rather not.
Also the idea about platform dependent linebreaks actually came from the changelog of one of the Adblock Plus 0.5 versions.
Yes, I know, I've seen the code that's doing this. Not really reusable, I need to find a better solution.
Wladimir Palant

Ah so whitelist filters actually unblock the entire site as well. Do they still unblock individual elements that don't originate from the visited site?
No, they don't - at least not yet. I was just discussing this with mcm, it seems that I missed out something about how whitelisting actually worked in Adblock Plus 0.5.

Post by guest »

'If people want I can still continue to make sure Adblock Plus 0.5 works
on the latest version of Firefox as I had originally planned for those that
prefer it over the new version.'

Yes please MCM!

I'd much rather have your version than this imposter. The developers
attitude stinks too boot.
Wladimir Palant

Also when I enter a new filter in AP 6.0.2 clicking on OK doesn't close the dialog window and produces this error in the console:
Fixed this in CVS, this bug wasn't new to 0.6.0.2 after all. I guess we'll have a 0.6.0.3 soon.

Post by Guest »

Wlad, change the damn name of your extension. It is not Adblock Plus. You're just being a jerk and confusing people!

Post by Guest »

The without-div-blocking Adblock Plus should not be named "Adblock Plus", IMHO.
englishmen

Post by englishmen »

So let me get this straight adblock plus developer has moved over to the original adblock and adblock plus has now been taken over by Wladimir Palant, correct?

Who has released 0.6 which is still called adblock plus but yet is missing some features that are found in 0.5.10, correct? Now if im a correct is this not kind of strange release a new version with less features then te previous version.

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:Wlad, change the damn name of your extension. It is not Adblock Plus. You're just being a jerk and confusing people!
Anonymous wrote:The without-div-blocking Adblock Plus should not be named "Adblock Plus", IMHO.
+1
Just some suggestion again:
Adblock Lite
Adblock Reloaded

But please, change the name of this extension! :roll: