Adblock Plus 0.6 Announcement

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
pirlouy

Post by pirlouy »

Peng wrote:but I don't know how, exactly, since it's not a feature I use.
Try this for example:

Code: Select all

mozillazine.org#*(sidebar)
Maybe, you will find it nice.
Ok, you can do the same in userContent but it's more "usable" with AB+.
But yes, this DIV feature should be in another extension, more powerful for that. :-)
John Doh

Post by John Doh »

Having read all 20 pages, I have a few comments to make, mostly to LorenzoC then I shall fade :)

I'm happy that adblock plus is under new management, it's always good to see stuff grow, even if it grows or changes in ways you don't like. A lot like life really.

However what irks me, is "humble" people, start lording it over others by telling them that "I write websites" Well bully for you, I'm sure your mum's really proud. Have a gold star.
LorenzoC wrote: My "humble" opinion is that:
- DIV blocking (or any other container blocking) is useless to block ADS. If the page has some fixed text inside it is better to leave it there. If it is written by a script you can block the script that usually is a .js file from another location.
- DIV blocking is dangerous because it likely ends in screwing the page structure.
- DIV blocking is so resources consuming that MdM himself suggested to disable it in the old AdBlock Plus, because the single thread problem that freezes FF until the extension has finished its work on the page.

Looks a little too fanatical
The fanatical part is out of context, same man, same subject, different post, but this is from somebody on a holy war against DIV blocking, obsess much?

I use filterset G, (from which I remove whitelist blocks) buy.com? Yahoo? Jesus! Yahoo personals?!?! Have you people never heard of google? :)

I also make heavy use of DIV blocks. Practicaly all my personal blocks are DIV blocks, as well as a few sites that spawn tracking links, and things like /c.gif? and the odd pet peve I feel like wasting processor cycles on. My PC is lightning fast at all times, browsing is faster without adblock, but then I have to put up with ads.

I open all pages in background tabs, I have 30+ open at present at 1600x1200, you may be right in saying that DIV's are just hidden, and cleaned up once the page is fully loaded, but I rarely see that, since it's loads in back. I use the DIV blocks mostly to get rid of the footer crap, and those clustered little boxes/frames, that I can't be arsed with. You'd be surprised how generic #DIV(BOT_NAV) is. The strangest tags will delete stuff, even pure text. I use Nuke anything too when I want to print. No crap, just pure content. It's like surfing back in the mid 90's :)

A page breaks every now and then, graphics overlay text and the like, in which case I just delete the logo, I know what site I'm on anyway. All I really care about is the text, the content, so most of the rest of the junk can fail for all I care. I have No_Script to block most javascipt and I've switched of Java totally. Flash I leave, no object tabs, that screws up far more pages than anything I have ever seen. What is flash overlay? If I dont like it and I visit often I yank it, if not, I just scroll it off page. It only gets annoying when they put big ads set into the text, but mostly they can be DIV'ed out of existence too on the few mainstream sites that use them.

I'm quite happy to leave the actually adblocking to Filterset_G I figure somebdy else is continually fine tuning the regexp so why should I bother?

I wouldn't know how to pull up a sidebar if asked, I've been using firefox since firebird 0.4 Think I found Rue's adblock somewhere around 0.6- 0.8 and plus around 1.0 or so but never onced used a sidebar, and disliked Opera becuase it had one by default.

"Visit http://www.jp.dk/ and click on the "Se Video""

Works fine, clicked a link, it opened the popup in a new tab, everything loaded. Nothing worked as no_script blocked it, but then I didn't want to watch flash videos in Danish anyway :)

Google video and you tube work fine, I can still play flash games, etc. In short for everyhting I want plus 0.5.11.3 works fine for me. I can see the advantages for people on slow machines and slow connections, but I doubt I'm even going to notice on my PC.

This one I liked:

"Please stop annoying us with your comments and go away."

Oh, all right, I'll humour you just this once, you petulant pipsqueek.
adum

Post by adum »

John Doh
most of the topics and messages you are referring to are now obsolete, and it is clear you have not tried ABP0.6+ for a long time - I do not know if you sometime did, according to your comments about sidebars. If you want to test it before give any opinion you can get last build from here
You will discover a lot of new things, which you will / will not like, but at least you will able to compare using accurate information.

And please note:
* if you really use a lot of DIV hiding/removing (not blocking, you do not block anything) perhaps using RIP or Stylish jointly with any version of adblock would be better for you -or using userContent.css. If you do not want a second extension (but then why would you use filterset G updater?) you can use ABP 0.5 or ABP 0.6, both of them hide DIVs -and I think 0.6 does it better. But note that ABP0.5 DIV checking has caused a lot of problems to some users, even if this is not your case.
* "sidebar controversy" is a really old one. If you do not know how to use a sidebar try ABP0.6 and, if you do not like what you see simply press "Dettach" button and sidebar will not longer be a sidebar.
* and you can also try other filtersets apart from Filterset G. New ABP gives you some default subscriptions, or you can maintain this one.

I think that all sensible comments are wellcomed, even if the devbuild thread would be a better place for them.
Wladimir Palant

Post by Wladimir Palant »

adum: You forgot to mention that using Stylish in addition to the latest development builds of Adblock Plus (to become Adblock Plus 0.7 tomorrow) is only a matter of choice. Element hiding in these builds is no less powerful, at least when it comes to hiding ads. You can even use a raw CSS selector like "domain.com##div.adheader + div" - if you like. Or you stick with the simple syntax (that will only be translated into CSS anyway).

John Doh: DIV blocking is the one major reason why people say that Adblock Plus 0.5 is slow. And it doesn't work so well - it will only hide the ads after the page loaded, also regular rules (not meant for DIV blocking) will be applied as well, often breaking web applications. Element hiding in Adblock Plus 0.6.1+ has no such problems.