Adblock Plus 0.6 Announcement

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
Wladimir Palant

Post by Wladimir Palant »

Ok, Adblock Plus 0.6.0.3 has been released (http://adblockplus.mozdev.org/changelog-0.6.0.3.html). Major changes are:

- Tooltip in the sidebar now shows what filter blocked the item
- "Check parent links" works in a more consistent way

That means that from the seven points listed on the plan for 0.6.1 five are done (two will need some improvement still). Now the only really visible change for 0.6.1 should be filter subscriptions (and grouping of filters in the preferences dialog to make it unproblematic). We are good on schedule (plan was to release 0.6.1 around two weeks after 0.6) and I'm slowing down releasing unless a really critical bug is found. It has been some crazy two days and I have real work to do :)
Darken

Post by Darken »

mcm wrote:Thank you guys for the support and sentiment. However, this new version won't remove all links to download v0.5 and will continue to be available if you want it. If you find bugs I will continue to fix them, but will no longer be making any other changes.

It looks as if the name for v0.6 will stick but v0.5 will not auto-update to it. If people want to give it a go or try then they can do so by downloading and installing again (which they need to know about so they can remove or disable v0.5 since the GUID is different).

And yes believe it or not Adblock 0.6 is still in development. I have actually had a chance now to play with it myself. But that's all I'm allowed to say.
Excellent! Because I don't like the new version (Adblock Plus 0.6.x.x by Wladimir Palant) with the Sidebar.
Wladimir Palant

Calain wrote:Some people created two separate sets of icons for Adblock Plus.
Maybe one of them looks fitting.
Doesn't look like it, I can't understand what is blocked there. And it should be 32x32 icons. Maybe somebody can draw a nice cockroach in this red circle? This association would at least work for me.

PS: There is http://bugzilla.mozdev.org/show_bug.cgi?id=12889 on this.

Post by Guest »

The one used in Adblock Plus 0.5 in the extensions manager window was not too bad.
ariel

Post by ariel »

I have got a really critical bug for you :lol:

Well, not really. You changed the message-box dialog but didn't changed the message-box text.
"Press 'Cancel'" :?:
Mr Freez3

Post by Mr Freez3 »

Hmmmm...after reading through 4 pages of pros and cons on the new Adblock Plus 0.6, I've decided to stick with Adblock Plus 0.5.11.2

At this point in time, I don't have time to play with something new, especially when 0.5.11.2 is working just fine. As for Vladimir...my first impression was similar to what others stated....arrogant. However, my decision here is based on what is best for me...not the developer's personality...lol.

MCM, thanks for offering to continue support for v. 0.5.11.2....I gotta say that your work in the past was excellent and job well done, thanks.

Post by Guest »

i'm still not cooled off,

[/quote]
Part of open source code is it can come from anywhere, just a matter of who feels like working it at the time.
That is true yet when a dev. comes along to contribute or take over a project they are supposed to:

1. Improve/add to the project.

2. Work on a project should make the version increase not lower it to a number of your choosing.
[/quote]

I havent seen any inprovements in adblock plus .6 to adblock plsu .5 unlike others i actually tried each version as W.P. has been updated and not impressed at all. it's like learning how to drive again.. that.. is something i'm not going for. fuck I shouldnt even sweat this.. i happy with AB+ .5
Wladimir Palant

@ariel: Arghhhh... I actually did notice it but I have no idea why I didn't change it. Something must've distracted me at that moment :)

Post by Guest »

the sidebar thing should be optional.. one of the things that keeping at .5.. well actually the whole new rewrite of adblock is.. :(

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote: OK, let's call "Wladimir Palant's 'Adblock Plus' " "Adblock+" and our long-loved mcm's Adblock Plus "Adblock Plus" so that no more confusing will be created. :wink:
You are kidding, right? :?:
If you aren't....."reduce confusion"? Maybe for a 5 year old that doesn't know the plus sign......
Wladimir Palant

off: I wished the guests would give themselves names, I really don't know who is who here.
it's like learning how to drive again.. that.. is something i'm not going for.
Well, it is a change and as such it is painful. But it needs to be done.

By the way, I had a chance to get a glimpse of Adblock 0.6 (without the "Plus"). Well, if you complain about my user interface changes, I want to see what you will say about this one. Considered that it will ever be released of course. Ok, saying no more on Adblock 0.6, it is top secret :)
ries

Post by ries »

@Wladimir Palant:

I'm sure you have the best intensions with your version
of Adblock Plus but I hope you realize that taking
Adblock Plus into this new direction (with the sidebar and
without DIV filtering) means that you sort of 'killed' the
development of the old Adblock Plus extension.
Someone else than mcm could take it up but would be
forced to rename it because your extension is now called
Adblock Plus. I think this is highly inconsiderate.
adblock-checker

Post by adblock-checker »

The development of adblock plus 0.5 is over. mcm will make only security and bugfixes. but he will mainly contribute to adblock (classik). so adblock plus has no future, since adblock is coming with similar features. If you like adblock plus 0.5, then you are forced to switch to adblock in some time.
ries

Post by ries »

adblock-checker wrote:The development of adblock plus 0.5 is over. mcm will make only security and bugfixes. but he will mainly contribute to adblock (classik). so adblock plus has no future, since adblock is coming with similar features. If you like adblock plus 0.5, then you are forced to switch to adblock in some time.
Thanks adblock-checker, so the original Adblock will become the real successor to Adblock Plus 0.5, I was silently hoping this would be the case.

@mcm, can you confirm this to put my mind at rest? :)
JJ

Post by JJ »

I've got to say I am with ries on this one.

If I am driving a Mustang GT, I don't suddenly trade it in for a Ford Mondeo for no good reason. Yeah, it's still a Ford but I got the Mustang for a specific reason.

It's the same with Adblock Plus. I switched from regular Adblock to Plus because I wanted to to be able to support some of my favorite websites. And I haven't looked back.

There's no reason to mess with Adblock Plus, as far as I am concerned and that's why I am sticking with .5. I am sure Wladimir means well, despite the fact that his start here has been a bit, well, less than perfect.

But I don't see why you would want to take Adblock Plus in a completely new direction when there's nothing wrong with it. I just don't understand it...