Adblock Plus 0.6 Announcement

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
mcm

Adblock Plus 0.6 Announcement

Post by mcm »

From Adblock Plus 0.5 developer:

The story is this, I have been invited to join the original Adblock project which I've accepted. As a result I was planning to slow down on developing Adblock Plus to just compatibility fixes to make it work on future versions of Firefox.

Wladimir (developer of Adblock Plus 0.6) had also been in talks with rue and the other Adblock developers and wanted to take Adblock down a more fast lightweight approach so broke away with a new version (now called Adblock Plus 0.6). As a result I did let him take over the Adblock Plus project to avoid confusion over there being three Adblock projects.

If people want I can still continue to make sure Adblock Plus 0.5 works on the latest version of Firefox as I had originally planned for those that prefer it over the new version.
mcm

Post by mcm »

Actually a couple of things I have been debating on the pros and cons with Wladimir is this.

Do poeple think the name of the new Adblock Plus version should be renamed to something else e.g. Adblock Lite. One that might better express Wladimir's goal of a fast, small Adblock. Will this help with the confusion or just add to it.

And also should the new version be linked to the auto-update or should people be given the choice to upgrade because of the differences.
Wladimir Palant

Post by Wladimir Palant »

Sorry, but the naming of the extension isn't open for discussion - it is already done. And "Adblock Lite" isn't it anyway, that's not what it is. Adblock Plus 0.6 is more powerful than Adblock already (in terms of real features) and will continue to improve.
MAD-Max

Renaming

Post by MAD-Max »

What about renaming AdBlock Plus 0.6 to something like "Adblock Reloaded"??.
I think it will sounds better than Adblock lite and it will be less confusing than usin the name (plus) of a previour project.
And, as it seems to be completely rewriten, I think it will be a better project name
MAD-Max

Alternate name

Post by MAD-Max »

...or, what about renaming it to AdBlock Pro, or AdBlock Plus2? or AdBlock Plus, New Generation.

I think it will be difficult to change the project name, because mozdev seem not be fast in this things

Post by Guest »

Wladimir Palant wrote:Sorry, but the naming of the extension isn't open for discussion - it is already done. And "Adblock Lite" isn't it anyway, that's not what it is. Adblock Plus 0.6 is more powerful than Adblock already (in terms of real features) and will continue to improve.
Just like those egos at MoFo nothing is ever open for discussion.

Way to add to the confusion for new comers to Fx and extensions.

Post by Guest »

Adblock Plus 0.6 is more powerful than Adblock already (in terms of real features) and will continue to improve.
That is your opinion yet feedback at the addons site seems to say otherwise.
IceDogg

Post by IceDogg »

Thanks for the update mcm, I for one needed to hear that you was in support of this.
Coke Freak

Post by Coke Freak »

How about this name?:

"Adblock Remix"

Sounds quite cool, and people would be able to identify it as a different version of Adblock. :D
MAD-Max

features

Post by MAD-Max »

It is not avaliable Whitelist or WebSurport?? The main feature that makes me move from adblock to *old* adblock plus v0.5 was WebSuport. I want to support sites like Sourceforge whitout need to see any kind of ad.

I found too, that the *new* adblock plus v0.6 do nothing whit some ads that *previous* versions (adblock plus v0.5) stops perfectly using same filters (for example www.ya.com or www.terra.es)
RDL

Goodwill and Consideration to Users

Post by RDL »

mcm wrote:Actually a couple of things I have been debating the pros and cons with Wladimir is this:

Do poeple think the name of the new Adblock Plus version should be renamed to something else e.g. Adblock Lite. One that might better express Wladimir's goal of a fast, small Adblock. Will this help with the confusion or just add to it.

And also should the new version be linked to the auto-update or should people be given the choice to upgrade because of the differences.
Dear mcm

I for one would like to see 'Adblock Plus' and its name continueing under your controlling management.

At least you have never given me the impression of being grossly inconsiderate, inflexible, domineering or bullying.

Nor have you ever, by precipitous and utterly insensitive behaviour, thrown hundreds, (quite possibly, thousands) of trusting users into severe confusion and anxiety.

Given your gentle, friendly and helpful approach, I think there may well be many others who react as I do to this entirely disgraceful affair.

Cordially yours

RDL

Post by Guest »

Some feature requests:
  • Use middle click to enable/disable Adblock instead of the weird click and drag horizontally method.
  • Use '/r/n' for newlines under windows when exporting txt files.
  • Provide option to cancel txt import as well as append or replace.
  • Provide text box at the top of the side bar to allow people to filter or search for keywords in links.
  • When double clicking on an address listed as being blocked in the sidebar open the Preference window in edit mode for the filter responsible in blocking it.
  • Provide an option in the status bar to download all blocked content and highlight so we know what it is we are blocking.

Post by Guest »

How come the sidebar states this site is whitelisted listing no blockable elements when I haven't selected that option?
https://addons.mozilla.org/

Also when I enter a new filter in AP 6.0.2 clicking on OK doesn't close the dialog window and produces this error in the console:

Code: Select all

Error: document has no properties
Source file: chrome://adblockplus/content/overlay.js
Line: 66
Another issue is when I have a lot of filters like if I use Filterset.G, after adding a new filter it can't be selected.

Also I think I found another bug mentioned in this thread:
http://p2.forumforfree.com/unblock-show ... kplus.html

One other minor issue, if I open the sidebar on a blank page it says "Not a remote page". I was quite confused with this at first until I realised Adblock can't list blockable items for pages loaded from the computer and is what I think you meant. Maybe for a blank page you should simply state "No blockable items" to avoid confusion.

Post by Guest »

um.. no mcm.. u seem like a nice guy.. continue development with AB+.5 palease... I dont like this new version by walid whatever his name is.. one bit! it's useless as far as how i know.. I use adblock plus by micheal mcdonald! not some snob who isn't up for suggestions!

Post by Guest »

DUDE.. adblock plus .5 and adblock .42 should be adblock plus .6 not some retarded freehanded rewrite! with NO features.

Is adblock 0.6 still in development MCM?