Putting forum users on ignore using adblock element hiding

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
io

Putting forum users on ignore using adblock element hiding

Post by io »

Hi,

is there a way using adblock element hiding, to put posts written by certain users on automatic ignore/remove post from view?

If anyone has any pointers, please let me know.
io

Post by io »

The forum ignore is needed for http://www.curezone.com - I can't seem to find out what exactly they are running there, but user ignore in profiles does not seem possible.
Wladimir Palant

Post by Wladimir Palant »

Usually that's not possible the way forums are structured, you would need to hide an element by its contents. But maybe you want to give us the link to the specific forum you are talking about...

PS: You posted the link already - no, it isn't possible for that forum either.
io

Post by io »

Are you sure?

As an example:
http://www.curezone.com/forums/am.asp?i=1407697

As you can see, it says "by user" for every post. Wouldn't it be possible somehow to remove a certain element below every by <user> post?

For every post you have,
Re: <topic of discussion> by <user> 7 days 67

The "by user" even has a link to that users profile.

Wouldn't it be possible to ignore a whole element/full post below every posts that contain a certain profile url?
Lyx

Post by Lyx »

"Technically", it is possible, but AFAIK, ABP does not support the technique required to do that.

To understand this, you need some basic knowledge how a website works. In the firefox mainmenu, choose view, then click "page source". Scroll a bit down. Now, what you will see is lots of stuff which follows this scheme:

<blah>Here's some text which you see on the screen</blah>

If you compare this "page source" with how the webpage looks like, you will notice that the stuff in the "blah" is not visible when you look at the webpage. The only things which you see is the "Here's some text which you see on the screen".

Now, here's the important point: ABP does not care about the "here's some text which you see on the screen" at all! It doesnt even look at that. ABP only filters according to what is written in the "blah" parts - so, what you do NOT see on the screen.

Whats the difference between both? Well, to keep it simple, the stuff which you see on the screen is the "content"... the stuff in the "blah" sections is "metadata". What is metadata? Well in this case it is all the info EXCEPT of the content. For example, it may be a webaddress from which an image should be loaded. It may be something which tells the browser "this is an image", "this is a table", "this is a paragraph", "this is the page header", "this is an ad", "this is the navigation menu", and so on.

Now, in this context, ABP is not a "content-filter" in that it does not filter based on content, but rather based on "metadata". This is why something which on first sight seems very easy, cannot be done by ABP - at least not in the straightforward way you proposed.
Lyx

Post by Lyx »

P.S.: Another limitation is that ABP cannot look "back" or "ahead". What i mean with this is:

Scenario:
-element
-subelement

1. You can tell ABP to hide subelement, if it matches a filter.
2. You can not tell ABP to hide the element, if the subelement matches the filter.

So even ignoring the other limitations: What you would probably end up with, is hiding ONLY the line which says "by user xyz", but not the post.
lewisje

Re:

Post by lewisje »

Lyx wrote:P.S.: Another limitation is that ABP cannot look "back" or "ahead". What i mean with this is:

Scenario:
-element
-subelement

1. You can tell ABP to hide subelement, if it matches a filter.
2. You can not tell ABP to hide the element, if the subelement matches the filter.

So even ignoring the other limitations: What you would probably end up with, is hiding ONLY the line which says "by user xyz", but not the post.
Since that post, it has become possible to block an element based on a sub-element; however, because ABP still does not support XPath, or any other way to get at the text-content, the old request in the OP cannot be satisfied with ABP (but a competitor, uBlock Origin, does support XPath and also has a special syntax for matching text-content specifically).
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.
Monisef

Re: Putting forum users on ignore using adblock element hiding

Post by Monisef »

Hi Hi is there any way to use Adblock plus for mobile.