The Impossible Ad (popup discussion)

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
Ares2

Re: The Impossible Ad (popup discussion)

Post by Ares2 »

Apparently, the fix Wladimir used to block all requests doesn't work if the popup url itself is not blocked, but redirects to an url that is blocked.

Example : Filter used: ||williamhill.com^$popup

Case 1: example.com opens popup: about:blank -> williamhill.com (OK, no requests/cookies)
Case 2: subs4free.com opens popup: about:blank -> subs4free.com/_pop_link.php -> williamhill.com (FAIL, http requests made => cookies set)

You can fix this by adding: ||subs4free.com/_pop_link.php?$popup which will again block all network requests in the popup.

I don't know if Wladimir can/will do anything about that.
Wladimir Palant

Post by Wladimir Palant »

@Ares2: I don't think I can do much about it - you should really block the URL that's being opened, not the one it redirects to.
uploaded.to

Post by uploaded.to »

Pop-up (maybe for EasyTest) opens, when you click the Download Free button:

e.g. http://uploaded.to/file/zekl00vw (legal radio stream)
MonztA
ABP Developer

Post by MonztA »

Added https://hg.adblockplus.org/easylist/rev/8da6da38fe28

Please use http://forums.lanik.us to report unblocked ads/issues in future.

We moved the popup rules to our main list btw.
Gingerbread Man

Post by Gingerbread Man »

Ares2 wrote:One can block ALL new windows with:

Code: Select all

|about:blank|$popup,domain=megaupload.com
I can't get this to work. I've even tried a more liberal filter,

|about:blank|$popup
and I'm seeing hits on it, but I still see the @$%@#%^ pop-up window opening and closing.

The accursed site in question is Filesonic (EasyList discussion thread). As part of its impressive barrage of advertisement, it includes a pop-under that opens when submitting the CAPTCHA.
  • As I said above, the aforementioned filter doesn't prevent the pop-under from opening.
  • It opens even though the value of dom.popup_allowed_events is empty. I don't have any enabled plug-ins, so it's not coming from Flash content or anything of the sort.
  • I've tried using Greasemonkey to redefine the ClickPop variable and to remove the offending script from the page, but to no avail. I suppose by the time my user script removes the pop-under script, its code has already run. I don't know why the first approach fails though.
I would appreciate some assistance.
lewisje

Post by lewisje »

Try instead

*$popup,domain=filesonic.com
This should keep FileSonic from launching any popups, even ones that don't begin with an about:blank (that is, cross-domain popups).
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.
Ares2

Post by Ares2 »

Gingerbread Man wrote:but I still see the @$%@#%^ pop-up window opening and closing.
You can't do any better than that with ABP, you can't stop the window from opening in the first place, no matter what rule you use. I agree that it's a little annoying especially when you end up with another tab (at least that's what happens for me if the tab isn't the rightmost one).
Ares2

Post by Ares2 »

lewisje wrote:even ones that don't begin with an about:blank (that is, cross-domain popups).
Example? If I understood Wladimir correctly (and from everything I've seen so far), all popups will launch about:blank - no exception, it's what Gecko does.
Anonymous_hXN

Post by Anonymous_hXN »

These posts are 'empty'. No trick worked. The right way is to edit your hosts.

1: Go to your hosts located in C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc.
2: Open notepad, drag and drop hosts to notepad.
3: Go to the end of the lines, and add this: 173.194.35.184 www.creative.livejasmin.com creative.livejasmin.com
4: Save hosts, and close (Or close, and when asks to save, save it).

The IP (173.194.35.184) is Google IP. You can add any IP sites you want. No system restart needed.
For me is working. I have added in this way all social sites, and others.
lewisje

Post by lewisje »

I prefer to use 0.0.0.0 for that purpose (a known invalid IP address); that way nothing will get loaded.

I should mention that you may need to flush your DNS cache after changing your HOSTS file, so that the changes will take hold.
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.
jasminkiller

Post by jasminkiller »

Leave Javascript enabled but disable Java. You will still be able to see pics fine. LiveJasmin relies on Java not Javascript.
lewisje

Post by lewisje »

AFAIK it's the other way around (just checked new.livejasmin.com/en/ in web-sniffer.net because I've blocked LiveJasmin on my network, and there are numerous references to Javascript and none to Java), but it is a good idea to block plugin content on livejasmin, because it does use Flash.

More generally, it is very difficult to find a website that does not use Javascript, at least for Google Analytics; on the other hand, Java is no longer popular for so-called "Rich Internet Applications," with Flash still being dominant and HTML5 emerging as a viable alternative. (Java is still useful for heavy computational applications, like physics simulations such as the falling-sand game, and anything involving heavy file-system access on platforms other than IE still requires Java...which is also why Java is such a massive security risk, and esteemed authors like Brian Krebs of krebsonsecurity.com now recommend uninstalling Java, or at least disabling the Java plugin, if at all possible.)
tward

Post by tward »

If you use Firefox and install the Greasemonkey extension you can easily install a Live.Jasmine blocker that really works
Chrisden57

Post by Chrisden57 »

! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !.....DEFINITIVE SOLUTION.....! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

https://addons.mozilla.org/fr/firefox/a ... src=search

" It immediately closes the pop-up/pop-unders from livejasmin or every other popup/popunder you specify.
It catches links from flash too.
You can add your own filter and enable it to close other windows by choosing 'Options' from the add-ons menu in Firefox.
Why 'a rude popup-popunder Killer' ?
It checks the first 30 characters of the window's URL and if it contains the excluded terms it closes it immediately without further checking!
It is very simple and effective, but can cause problems if you add the wrong keyword.
That is why I don't provide a handy menu to add websites on the fly.
So, by having to go to addons->options->killjasmin->options and add your filters gives a bit more safety and it's not that hard...
Take care... "
adenanoble

Re: Remove Malware

Post by adenanoble »

Hi, my system is currently infecting with Ads by Blast Job and I am experiencing several browser problems due to this. I use Google Chrome as my default web browser and each time I try to search something via my default search engine,I get tons of advertisements on the very top of my web pages I visit. These ads are very irritating and I find myself unable to close them all. I was trying to get rid of those ads, pop-ups that continuously appear on my system screen using several malware removal methods, but failed. Then finally, I got an effective guideline that helped me to delete Ads by Blast Job and other related unwanted threats from the system.

To gather more information about an effective removal of Ads by Blast Job, visit - www. howtouninstallamalwarejp. com