Question about whitelisting in Adblock Plus 0.6

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
Calain

Question about whitelisting in Adblock Plus 0.6

Post by Calain »

From the FAQ:
I sometimes want Adblock Plus to be disabled. How can I do this most easily?

You can right-click on "Adblock" in the status bar to bring up its context menu. There you have an option to disable/reenable Adblock Plus. If this isn't fast enough, you middle-click on the word "Adblock" in the status bar, this will also disable and reenable Adblock Plus.

In the same context menu you also have the option to disable Adblock Plus on a certain page. It will add a filter like @@http://adblockplus.mozdev.org to the list — @@ at the beginning means that this filter defines pages where Adblock Plus should be disabled. You can add or modify those filters yourself of course. It's just like normal filters, feel free to use wildcards or regular expressions.
Do you only have one kind of whitelisting in 0.6?
AB+ 0.5 had two versions:
  1. Site Whitelist filter:
    As first action after loading a site AB+ checked if the Site-UR(I/L) matched a Site-Whitelist-Filter. If it did match, AB+ did nothing. (Like being disabled completely.)
  2. Normal whitelist filter:
    If an element matched a whitelist filter, this element would always be displayed even if it mached an normal filter.
I agree that site-blacklisting makes no sense, but these two different versions of normal filters make sense:
The normal whitelist filter are making it a lot easier to compile an small filterlist. (Generate a few universal blocking filters and unblock the false positives with whitelist filters.
The Site-Whitelist-Filter are good for supporting you favorite sites or to disable adblock for sites, that do not work with adblock enabled (intended or not).

'Cause of this, I think it would be good, if both versions of filter would be supported.

OFF TOPIC: This is also why the filters in my UI suggestion where in three tabs (normal filters, site filters mainly for whitelisting and site filters for supporting): They do three different things. For AB+ 0.6 we would only need two separate tabs (one for normal filters and one for whitelisted sites).

You might even make the site whitelisting completely hidden. The two menu items just add the URL to the hidden site-whitelisting-list. Just save the time a site-whitelist filter was last matched. If a filter wasn't matched for some time (two to four weeks) remove it again. (this might be also be useful for normal filters ;))
Calain

Post by Calain »

I reposted this from the Mozzillazine forums, cause I thought, it might be easier to see here.

I hope nobody minds. ;)
Wladimir Palant

Post by Wladimir Palant »

As was answered in the Mozillazine forums: that's the case now, this is the result of a misunderstanding. With the next release the filters will apply to both whole pages and individual items.
IceDogg

Post by IceDogg »

Thanks Wladimir, I like it better that way as well.