AdBlock Plus users blocked

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
TheDane

AdBlock Plus users blocked

Post by TheDane »

Dear all,

Resently we've had a debate in Denmark regarding a programme substituting the adds on a site with adds chosen by another developer who then pays 80 % of the income to third world aid. A great idea, but now it seems that the owners of the sites have become angry and decided to block this application. Unfortunately this has hit user of Adblock Plus too and many sites are now closed for adblock users.

Is there any way to get around this?

I don't know whether they detect whether I load the adds or whether they detect that I have adblock running. I see the full page except the adds for about 1 sec before they send me on to some other page. The page also works if I turn of the adblocker (but then it is almost unusable since there are so many adds).

I guess that loading the adds without showing them could solve the problem, but I'm not sure. And can this be done?

Regards from Denmark

By the way: I see no problem in blocking adds when the adds are so aggressive. If just adds were pictures quickly loaded I would see no problem, but as it is today it is impossible to navigate around pages without being floded by flash-movies and so forth.
TheDane

Update

Post by TheDane »

Just tried to allow adds on the specific side but it didn't solve the problem. On another page this worked, but I guess there is no way around stop using the side when it is not even possible to enter the site while allowing adds from it.
mnielsen

major sites are being blocked

Post by mnielsen »

I just went to a news site:
http://www.berlingske.dk/

It appears as if they have implemented a check:
if (script.style.display == "none") then block

can anything be done to access the site ?

Many thanks for a great program
TheDane

Re: major sites are being blocked

Post by TheDane »

mnielsen wrote:I just went to a news site:
http://www.berlingske.dk/

It appears as if they have implemented a check:
if (script.style.display == "none") then block

can anything be done to access the site ?

Many thanks for a great program
Exactlty the same site I went to.

Earlier the soccer-site www.bold.dk implemented a different block which allowed you to see the site when you turned off adblock on their page. That doesn't work with www.berlingske.dk
TheDane

oooops...

Post by TheDane »

Well.. Just tried to restart the browser while allowing adds on www.berlingske.dk and I'm now allowed on the site. So: Loading the adds should solve the problem?
TheDane

Re: oooops...

Post by TheDane »

TheDane wrote:Well.. Just tried to restart the browser while allowing adds on www.berlingske.dk and I'm now allowed on the site. So: Loading the adds should solve the problem?
... and since all adds on www.berlingske.dk are flash you can just install flashblock while allowing adds from berlingske.dk in adblock. Then you will not see any adds anyway.
Wladimir Palant

Post by Wladimir Palant »

TheDane

Post by TheDane »

Wladimir Palant wrote:See http://adblockplus.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4069 (same code used)
Thanks a lot. www.bt.dk and www.berlingske.dk are run by the same company so the scripts and reasons are the same. Very sorry that I was not aware of the other thread.
Kriss3d

Post by Kriss3d »

Im hearing more and seeing more sites using this. And i also tracked down the guy actually making the script responsible for preventing the use of MANY sites with ABP.(thanks alot aidonline....)

How about making the next versions of ABP have an option to actually download the blocked content but not show it. Or show it in some invisible frame or somthing else. Just have a option to enable and disable that feature.
This way youre actually supporting the sites who use the banners by counting the showings of the banners.
Wladimir Palant

Kriss3d

Post by Kriss3d »

I see the point. Then i suppose a seperate program should be made which "shows" the adds in a window only the window isnt focused but hidden in the program running in taskbar. Otherwise adblock will basicly be useless in the future as many siteowners will use same script to make sure you dont turn off the ads..
traver

ABP detection prevented

Post by traver »

Using NoScript 1.9.3.3 on Firefox 3.0.10 prevents sites like http://www.bt.dk/ from bothering ABP users.
best regards
traver
Wubbi

Post by Wubbi »

Isn't there any other solutions other than using NoScript?
Wladimir Palant

There is, just read the thread I pointed to before: http://adblockplus.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4069
michel

Post by michel »

For french users of canalplus.fr who watch the "zapping" or "les guignols" tv show:
If you want to use adblock plus in order to block ads, install "noscript" firefox extension and allow scripts only from canalplus.fr and canal-plus.com.
I hope google will index this post correctly :)

Pour les utilisateurs francais de canalplus.fr qui regardent le zapping ou les guignols :
Si vous voulez utiliser adblock plus pour bloquer les publicités, installez l'extension "noscript" et n'autorisez que les scripts de canalplus.fr et canal-plus.com.