poor homepage design is slow and CPU-intensive

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
somebody_else

poor homepage design is slow and CPU-intensive

Post by somebody_else »

Hi, I have just been visiting the project homepage
http://bene.sitesled.com/adblock.htm
I like your project and the website content, but
the website design sucks under functional aspects.

Scrolling your website up and down is *really* slow and
consumes all my CPU-Resources.
My computer is not equiped with some high performance
accelerated graphics adapter and neigther with a multiple
gigaherz CPU. My browser is FF version 1.0.4

my guess on the root of the problem:
the static fading background.

thanks anyway for running the project
data

Post by data »

I am a web-designer and have my own server. I have offered (today) my services for no charge of hosting the site. As for design, I'd do that for nothing too if given the chance :).. I second the notion a more sophisticated look should probably be implemented for teh size of the project will grow im sure.
data

Post by data »

http://adblock.kanaco.com/

for fun & to show i can get some good page load times in php :)
mcm

Post by mcm »

Looks good data, you obviously know your stuff. I'll have to get you to help me port an SQL database to a shared repository to fix my site sometime.

Just a note though, I'm not actually involved in the Adblock project myself. There have been a number of small suggestions with example code in the Adblock forums. I just started putting them together with my own ideas providing a more consistent interface. It's been a great way for me to learn how to write extensions but I still have a bit to learn about XPCOM or XBL. I'm not sure what will happen after Rue and Ben release Adblock 0.6.

Rue is a very knowledgable programmer and Ben will have learnt a lot since he first started near the end of the 0.5.2 release. As you can see from Ben's site they've spent a lot more time on Adblock then I have, so you can be sure that there will be some nice new features and be more thoroughly tested. So it's possible it will be the end of Adblock Plus and these sites or I may continue based off the new version to add some commonly requested feature the developers don't want in the main version as an alternative.

Anyway the source code is actually within the extension itself, the CVS file you have contains the code for Adblock 0.5.2 plus other extensions and websites the Adblock developers have been working with. Personally I use this file and just run the batch file to package up the extension:
http://mcmblog.homedns.org/firefox/adblock.zip
data

Post by data »

No problem. Anytime you need the databases let me know. I'll go ahead and set you some up and whenever you need them just claim em.

Thanks for the kind words. Im just now getting into developing extensions. I have some experience obviously in web design, js, php, html, etc. I also know little C++ and of course everything is nearly cross compatible. Anyhow, my goal is to do pretty much what you did and pick up on some "personal" ideas and features I'd like to see in adblock. Whatever I can contribute I will. I have a good amount of time. Also, I have tons of server space and bandwidth so I'm offering all adblock related communities/projects free consolidated homes.

I have never prior to adblock developed anything for Mozilla. This is a great way to learn some new languages and code. Plus its a good and interesting cause. Some of the main focuses of mine include:
*user interface tweaking/graphics
*expansion of the default list
*filterset auto-sync/update system that is consolidated to 1 network/domain
*complete consolidation of homepage,update,cvs,news,forums,filterset,downloads, devbuilds,source, etc..etc...etc...
*complete overhaul of web layout(s) & forums

--

these are just my opinions really nothing more. i have already talked to ben and he is opting to keep everything (domain / redirection) the same. Which is fine and i understand you dont want to shuffle things too much. However, he is interested seemingly in at least updating the pages and/or getting a more professional and fused approach.

I already have tons of ideas. Plus everything related to adblock is seemingly static and needs to be dynamic as to shift with the changes and updates. I'll leave the spot open to mirror your efforts and whenever you all feel like switching or migrating you can seamlessly. As I said, your db's are ready whenver you need them. Just PM me here or email me.

Kind Regards