Why 'Adblock Image...' in context menu most of the time?

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
Jheriko

Why 'Adblock Image...' in context menu most of the time?

Post by Jheriko »

For instance, in this very thread, click anywhere on the page and you will see "Adblock Image...".
If you click it, it offers to block http://p2.forumforfree.com/templates/su ... llpic1.gif

And if you go to the General page, it will be
http://p2.forumforfree.com/templates/su ... llpic3.gif

One last example is the new Adblock Plus page itself; this time, it's the banner on top:

Paulfox

Post by Paulfox »

Now THAT is a good find. You're right (I tested the 2nd AdBlock plus page banner).
Jheriko

Post by Jheriko »

Addendum:

At http://adblockplus.mozdev.org/, if I click "Adblock Image..." on these images on the right:

It will once again incorrectly offer to block:

There is no way using the context menu to block

You must find the picture in question in the Adblock window or in the Sidebar.

Edit:

Same goes for

on the left.

And yet, the screenshot of Adblock in the middle of the page will be blocked properly...
Paulfox

Post by Paulfox »

Hang on a minute . . . I do notice that if I right-click on your sample images (in addendum post) - if offers to block that very image (correctly). ??

Also, on the general page you mention, if you right-click on "phbb" button at top, it's correct. I believe "sub silver" is just what you clicked on and it's offering to wipe out the whole page (silver theme)?
Jheriko

Post by Jheriko »

Nah, no need to PM him; my PM would most likely get lost in his already flooded inbox. =P

I shall simply wait; after all, patience is a virtue</corny cliché>
Wladimir Palant

Post by Wladimir Palant »

That's because in Gecko 1.8 all background images have the whole document as their "parent", that's the way the CSS engine works now. Adblock 0.5 simply ignores background images for the context menu, maybe I should as well - at least until this is solved somehow.
Paulfox

Post by Paulfox »

Yeah . . . I think if it's not a specific focused "block this," it may revert to the header. That's the only one I can see as being off (one I tested in original post). If you go anywhere else, say the screenshot, and use the context menu, it IS CORRECT. Also applies to buttons on this page or any other.

edit:
Never mind - Wladimir got it with a much better explanation!
Jheriko

Post by Jheriko »

I was going to post something, but you two beat me to the punch. (Good lord, you guys are fast. =P )

In any case, will this problem be fixed very soon?

I believe it is one of the most important bugs, seeing as it affects the core feature of Adblock... Uh, you know, to block ads? :roll: (Sometimes, with all the arguing about DIV blocking or whatever extra features, I do feel as though people have forgotten what Adblock is for, in essense.)
Wladimir Palant

I don't know if it can be fixed at all. I remember somebody (I think it was Boris Zbarsky) commenting at bugzilla.mozilla.org that supplying a correct context for background images isn't possible the way Gecko works now. I'll have to do my own investigation but I can guarrantee any results. In the end it might be that there simply won't be any context menu blocking for background images (this is actually only a matter of removing two words from the code).

PS: I disabled blocking of background images via context menu for now, at least until I've found some solution.
Jheriko

Post by Jheriko »

Hmm... unfortunate.

Perhaps there should be an option in about:config that will re-enable blocking of background images, for people who visit sites with annoying BGs and who really do need this feature, even if it is not perfect.

Well, good luck on finding a solution to this; I hope you will make the best decision.
Wladimir Palant

I think it is useless the way it works now - it lets you block the first background image on the page (and only this one). The sidebar does a better job.