Firefox freezes after a few hours

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
Izzy

Firefox freezes after a few hours

Post by Izzy »

Hi out there,

for a few versions, my Firefox freezes a few hours after I started it (independent on the sites loaded and also from the tabcount). Trying to track that down, I disabled one extension after the other (always enabling it again when disabling the next one). When I disabled Adblock, the browser kept running -- so Adblock is at least involved.

On the "freeze", Firefox hangs with 100% CPU load. No response to any mouse or keyboard actions, only a "kill" helps. Today I just got it a few minutes before the total freeze: FF first slows down (large delay between the keyboard/mouse input and the reaction) before it comes to a total freeze.

I tried Adblock (the latest available version) as well as Adblock plus (0.5.8 and 0.5.9). I'm using FF 1.0.4 on Linux. Anything like this already known? Since it may be some problem connected to Adblock only coming up in connection with some other extension(s), here's a list of installed extensions:

- Adblock Plus 0.5.9
- Add Bookmark Here 0.5.3
- Diggler 0.9
- Flashblock 1.2.9
- Googlebar 0.9.5.0.6
- HTML Validator 0.5.7
- MediaPlayerConnectivity 0.3.4
- Mozilla MLDonkey Protocol Handler 1.4
- Nuke Anything 0.2
- Right encoding 0.1
- SessionSaver .2 d1 nightly 28
- Translate 0.6.0.6
- UserAgent Switcher 0.6.1
- Wayback 0.1.1
- WebDeveloper 0.8
- xMirror 0.1.1

Installed, but disabled:
- Bookmarks Synchronizer 1.0.1

I hope somebody here knows a solution to this problem. Adblock is one of my favorite extensions, so I don't want to uninstall ;)

Ciao,
Izzy.
mcm

Post by mcm »

Session Saver and Adblock together may not be such a great mix. Could try setting adblock.divcheck to false after typing about:config into the location bar. Also set javascript.options.showInConsole to true and if you're able to check the Javascript Console under the tools menu next time you have problems.
Izzy

Post by Izzy »

Hi mcm,

thank you for the quick reply. Will try your suggestions as soon as I am back home, and then of course report the results here.

I was already afraid that Session Saver could be involved as well (it's one of the very few extensions I did not deactivate -- and one of those I feel most important for me). I hope the fixes you described will do the job -- for I don't want to abandon one of these two extensions...

Ciao,
Izzy.
Izzy

Post by Izzy »

mcm wrote:Could try setting adblock.divcheck to false after typing about:config into the location bar. Also set javascript.options.showInConsole to true and if you're able to check the Javascript Console under the tools menu next time you have problems.
Unfortunately this did not help. I changed the adblock.divcheck to false, the second option was already set. Then in the evening, I left my computer running, and FF as well. When I got up this morning, FF was frozen again. I also could not even scroll in the JS console -- but the last messages I saw have only been many lines from the GoogleBar:
Googlebar: Finished ReadPrefs OK
Seems this message comes about all 5 seconds. Almost nothing else in the console. Only when I restarted FF now, there was one more message from Googlebar (don't know if it's relevant):
Googlebar: Custom list init failure caught
[Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x8000ffff (NS_ERROR_UNEXPECTED) [nsIPrefBranch.getComplexValue]" nsresult: "0x8000ffff (NS_ERROR_UNEXPECTED)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://googlebar/content/googlebarOverlay.js :: googlebarInitCustom :: line 377" data: no]
Plus one JS error:
Error: syntax error
Source File: http://bene.sitesled.com/babble.js
Line: 1
Source Code:
<html>
(Ooops ;) )

I could try disabling the Googlebar, maybe it is involved as well. Would not be nice if I had to abandon it, but better the Googlebar is gone than SessionSaver or even Adblock!

Best regards,
Izzy.
Izzy

Post by Izzy »

This time I configured the JS console to be sorted reverse, so when FF froze I could see the last message:
Error: out of memory
Source file: chrome://global/content/bindings/scrollbar.xml Line: 38
Memory usage of FF according to top:
201M virtual, 175M res, 15M shared. Quite a lot.

Any ideas?
Izzy

Post by Izzy »

Now that I gave more details, nobody is responding anymore? :( Meanwhile I removed and disables some more extensions, but the problem still remains. This is the recent list (+ means enabled, - disabled) :

+ Adblock Plus 0.9.5
+ Add Bookmark Here 0.5.3
- Bookmarks Synchronizer 1.0.1
+ Diggler 0.9
+ Flashblock 1.2.9
- googlebar 0.9.5.06
+ HTML Validator 0.5.7
- MediaPlayerConnectivity 0.3.4
+ Mozilla MLdonkey Protocol Handler 1.4
- Nuke Anything 0.2
+ SessionSaver .1 d1 nightly 28
- Translate 0.6.0.6
+ User Agent Switcher 0.6.1
+ Wayback 0.1.1
+ Web Developer 0.8
+ xMirror 0.1.1

Again, if I disable Adblock the freeze is gone -- but that is not an option ;)

Btw: Could it also have to do with some of the about:config settings?

Ciao
Izzy.
mcm

Post by mcm »

Well if you create a new profile using the profile manager and just install Adblock Plus do you still have problems?