Adblock Plus 0.6 needs a new name

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
Wladimir Palant

Post by Wladimir Palant »

@Anubis: The extension goes as Adblock Plus everywhere now (MozDev, Addons.Mozilla.Org, even the source code contains dozens of references to the extension name). Changing it everywhere and getting it accepted again isn't something I would do just for fun.

@Lord Ba'al: I'm thinking about Flash overlays or something similar. I hope I'll have a robust solution soon.
Fox

Post by Fox »

I think blocking flash or any other extensions is going to be little more easy, when/if you add this. and then with that i can type like .swf and sidebar then only shows those items.

Middle click > item view works, but there is This odd feature.
Now i know it's feature, because i did read this, and maybe there is no way to fix it:
Wladimir: On the other hand: the sidebar is a big "Plus", it gives you a dynamic view - you can jump between tabs, do something on the page, go to a different page, and you will see the list changing immediately. Most of the user interface behaves the way you would expect it to behave - IMO this is also a big "Plus".
LorenzoC

Post by LorenzoC »

Wladimir honestly I think you have spent already too much time answering these people.
If somebody tries your 0.6 version can easily see that FF works much better with it than with the 0.5.
That is the only important thing, the extension does its job and works better than before.
All the complaints about the name and the missing features come from people who don't care or don't understand how the extension (or even FF) works.
Maybe somebody thinks that anything "plus" needs to be "bigger", "larger", more bloated, with more preferences and buttons they can click for fun.
Please DO NOT degrade 0.6 performance to add unneeded features.
Thank you.
Karl Heinz Schüffler

Post by Karl Heinz Schüffler »

LorenzoC wrote:Wladimir honestly I think you have spent already too much time answering these people.
If somebody tries your 0.6 version can easily see that FF works much better with it than with the 0.5.
That is the only important thing, the extension does its job and works better than before.
All the complaints about the name and the missing features come from people who don't care or don't understand how the extension (or even FF) works.
Maybe somebody thinks that anything "plus" needs to be "bigger", "larger", more bloated, with more preferences and buttons they can click for fun.
Please DO NOT degrade 0.6 performance to add unneeded features.
Thank you.
Another stupid and useless comment. Why are so many people getting insane because of version 0.6? There are those who are starting a discussion about things missing in 0.6 noone really needed, and on the other hand there are those fanatics who just want to see a "higher", "newer" version of an extension, and just switch from 0.5 to 0.6 because of a number. Okay, fine, Adblock Plus 0.6 works and does it's job but I want say that it's better and faster. I didn't realized a difference in speed, and for me it's not good enough to switch now, I'm waiting for Flash Overlay, detachable sidebar and local language support. It's good that Wlad is still working on some features that will be in the newer version, but there is no real argument for me at the moment to switch from Adblock Plus 0.5. So please save comments like this, this doesn't help anyone! At least there is still much place for improvements for 0.6, and time enough for Wladimir to work on it!

Post by Guest »

How many people do you count KHS? Fantasy numbers and fantasy ideas of how "people" actually use Adblock for is your business but LorenzoCs comments is spot on.

If you could take a look at what most "insane" people are saying you also see he is right. Not possible to please them as they dont even wont extension to exist! They clearly have not even bothered reading information about todo, problems, changes etc. That 0.6 for many works faster and let FF manage memory better is irelevant as long as icon is ugly, and so on and so on. For those of us who just want the thing to work best way possible this is extremely annoying and take away focus. Nothing wrong in requests of course but do try read what the "insane" are saying... Real content is exactly what? Very thin to say the least, waste of time - noise/trolling.

Remember Tabmix the original? Author gave up cause people kept crying and crying for more. Now that was saved and picked up by others, twice even, but who knows with Adblock. Hopefully Wladimir have thicker skin. You shouldnt count too much on rue project.
Karl Heinz Schüffler

@Guest
1) Who are you? (You must know, you are not the only one with the name "Guest")
2) What exactly are you talking about? I've said there is no improvement which would justify a switch from Adblock Plus 0.5 to 0.6 right now. Perhaps it will change. And if you don't like Adblock Plus and all the annoying functions, you surely won't have installed it before and used the original Adblock. Perhaps you are also one of those insane people who just gave "Adblock Plus 0.6" 5 stars without installing it before.
3) So you say that the new ADP0.6 is faster. How much faster do you mean? Really, I've tested it, and it could only be a difference of 1 ns.
4) Your comment is also one of those who aren't helping any one! Really, we are just talking about an extension which only function is to block adds, so why making so much noise for nothing?
PD

Post by PD »

@Wladimir Palant
The cockroach button is really ugly. What about the symbol of Adblock Plus 0.5 which appears in the extension list? You can also see it by clicking on the "About Adblock" button.
LorenzoC

Post by LorenzoC »

Karl Heinz Schüffler wrote:Another stupid and useless comment. Why are so many people getting insane because of version 0.6? There are those who are starting a discussion about things missing in 0.6 noone really needed, and on the other hand there are those fanatics who just want to see a "higher", "newer" version of an extension, and just switch from 0.5 to 0.6 because of a number. Okay, fine, Adblock Plus 0.6 works and does it's job but I want say that it's better and faster. I didn't realized a difference in speed, and for me it's not good enough to switch now, I'm waiting for Flash Overlay, detachable sidebar and local language support. It's good that Wlad is still working on some features that will be in the newer version, but there is no real argument for me at the moment to switch from Adblock Plus 0.5. So please save comments like this, this doesn't help anyone! At least there is still much place for improvements for 0.6, and time enough for Wladimir to work on it!
Ahahahah... comic indeed.
You are another one saying absolutely nothing.
AGAIN.
Who cares if you are fine with the 0.5 ?
Go away and stop annoying who is interested in 0.6 instead.

Wladimir made the 0.6 for some reasons.
The reasons were that he thought he could improve the performance of the extension re-writing the code.
So he did.
You can't notice any difference?
I do.
I had Firefox slowing down and sometimes freezing with the 0.5 while opening some web pages, with all the "fancy features" like div blocking disabled.
If I enabled the div blocking I had Firefox dead for 30 seconds and multiple pages screwed up because it removed parts of the inner structure.
I say it again, MdM himself suggested everybody to disable the div blocking because very big issues with page loading slowdowns, plus He recognized a flaw by design that is the JS single thread that halts the browser till the parsing has completed.
I started using AdBlock from the very first version and I switched to AdBlock Plus because there was no choice since the other wasn't updated any more and it stopped working with FF, not because of ANY functional improvement in the "plus".
AdBlock Plus 0.5 wasn't any better than AdBlock 0.5 since it was based on the same code "plus" some patches.
Years old.

I even thought to use Opera instead of FF because it was so much faster loading pages and I could block ads more or less the same, so AdBlock was becoming a problem instead of an asset for FF.

AdBlock Plus 0.6 is an HUGE leap in terms of performance, I can't notice any slowdown or freezing in Firefox while running.
I don't care about the name at all, it could be named "the blub" or "Wladimir was here" and it would be fine with me.
I am worried that Wladimir could add nonsense features to the extension trying to make everybody happy, after the crap stupid people made him eat from the very beginning.
There are people who write "this extension is shit" and then if you ask why they say "because I don't like the icon" or "because I like the 0.5 better" or the worse "because it is unrespectful to MdM work".
I think people should register both to comment on the forums and to rate the extensions, so the idiots can be banned.
Until somebody invents a filter based on the IQ.
Karl Heinz Schüffler

LorenzoC wrote: Ahahahah... comic indeed.
You are another one saying absolutely nothing.
AGAIN.
Who cares if you are fine with the 0.5 ?
Go away and stop annoying who is interested in 0.6 instead.
What exactly did YOU say pal? The way how you discuss things is a wonderful example for polemic. I also could ask you "Who cares if you are fine with the 0.6?". This is also the official forum for Adblock Plus 0.5 users, so if you like you may move elsewhere you want. But I hope there isn't an IQ-filter because this might be a problem for you.
LorenzoC wrote: I had Firefox slowing down and sometimes freezing with the 0.5 while opening some web pages, with all the "fancy features" like div blocking disabled.
If I enabled the div blocking I had Firefox dead for 30 seconds and multiple pages screwed up because it removed parts of the inner structure.
I say it again, MdM himself suggested everybody to disable the div blocking because very big issues with page loading slowdowns, plus He recognized a flaw by design that is the JS single thread that halts the browser till the parsing has completed.
I started using AdBlock from the very first version and I switched to AdBlock Plus because there was no choice since the other wasn't updated any more and it stopped working with FF, not because of ANY functional improvement in the "plus".
AdBlock Plus 0.5 wasn't any better than AdBlock 0.5 since it was based on the same code "plus" some patches.
Years old.
Nobody said that you MUST use DIV-blocking, I didn't use it. But I found it very good to have the choice to use it or not. That's something you don't have in 0.6. I didn't enabled DIV-blocking and I never had lack of speed. So if you compare two things you should do this under the same condition. And saying that AdBlock Plus 0.5 wasn't any better than AdBlock 0.5 is really stupid. It had much more comfort than the original one was reguarly maintained, something that never happened with the original one. BTW, the name is "McM" not "MdM" LorenzoC (or do you prefere to be called with your other name "Guest" :wink: )
LorenzoC wrote: There are people who write "this extension is *censored*" and then if you ask why they say "because I don't like the icon" or "because I like the 0.5 better" or the worse "because it is unrespectful to MdM work".
I think people should register both to comment on the forums and to rate the extensions, so the idiots can be banned.
Yeah, that's a point I must agree with you unfortunately. There are many Idiots who are also giving 5 stars with comments "better than 0.5" or "people who are still using 0.5 are stupid". Nothing against Wladimir's work, but if there are just 0 and 5 stars, then it really can't be normal. It's not so bad that it deserves 0 stars, but I really can't 5 stars, really not. Perhaps in future versions. But we've just discussed about the ability to manipulate the ratings in both ways. Perhaps that's something that will be changed in future. It would also be good to use a forum where you have to register yourself, so that you probably think twice before writing something stupid or nonsensial.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

PD wrote:@Wladimir Palant
The cockroach button is really ugly. What about the symbol of Adblock Plus 0.5 which appears in the extension list? You can also see it by clicking on the "About Adblock" button.
I also would like to see this instead of the cockroach. Do you think that this is possible, Wlad?

Post by Guest »

Karl Heinz Schüffler wrote:What exactly did YOU say pal? The way how you discuss things is a wonderful example for polemic. I also could ask you "Who cares if you are fine with the 0.6?". This is also the official forum for Adblock Plus 0.5 users, so if you like you may move elsewhere you want. But I hope there isn't an IQ-filter because this might be a problem for you.
Read this S L O W L Y:

AdBlock Plus 0.5 was the last version of AdBlock Plus based on AdBlock code base.
Finish, end, stop, dead, quit, sayonara, adios.

No further development on it.

What is the point in saying "oh i liked the o.5 sooo much", "oh the good ol times" ???
You can be disappointed but now HERE there is Wladimir with his 0.6.

If you really really really really want to waste your time it is much better to ask somebody from AdBlock 0.5.x to merge their project with the 0.5 plus, since McM would be working there.

And yes, nobody cares if I use the 0.6 or not either.
But, if you read carefully the beginning, now you know that there is ONLY Wladimir and the 0.6 here, so once everybody knows that you can choose between 0.5 and 0.6, well... lets talk about 0.6.
Karl Heinz Schüffler

Anonymous wrote:
Karl Heinz Schüffler wrote:What exactly did YOU say pal? The way how you discuss things is a wonderful example for polemic. I also could ask you "Who cares if you are fine with the 0.6?". This is also the official forum for Adblock Plus 0.5 users, so if you like you may move elsewhere you want. But I hope there isn't an IQ-filter because this might be a problem for you.
Read this S L O W L Y:

AdBlock Plus 0.5 was the last version of AdBlock Plus based on AdBlock code base.
Finish, end, stop, dead, quit, sayonara, adios.

No further development on it.

What is the point in saying "oh i liked the o.5 sooo much", "oh the good ol times" ???
You can be disappointed but now HERE there is Wladimir with his 0.6.

If you really really really really want to waste your time it is much better to ask somebody from AdBlock 0.5.x to merge their project with the 0.5 plus, since McM would be working there.

And yes, nobody cares if I use the 0.6 or not either.
But, if you read carefully the beginning, now you know that there is ONLY Wladimir and the 0.6 here, so once everybody knows that you can choose between 0.5 and 0.6, well... lets talk about 0.6.
Okay, now it's clear: You don't now what you are writing and should better read other comments more carefully before you anwere, Lorenzo, right (you've forgotten your name again, or perhaps my bad Adblock version blocked it :wink: ). Try to read this again without alcohlic influence and more IQ: No one said the ADP 0.5 will be developed further. But it will be maintained. This is not so difficult to understand. And again: This is the ADBLOCK PLUS forum. Perhaps you've forgotten it already, Adblock Plus started with 0.5, and not 0.6. Nobody is whining because of the new version and everything is changing and the good old times. Is this really such a difficult fact for you to understand that there are still people who are using 0.5 and that they may use this forum, too? Okay, this is going to be a complete waste of time, especially you certainly didn't understand anything, and you'll probably keep spaming this thread with nonsensial stuff, but I won't waste more off my time with you. I could only suggest to all others who are thinking about switiching to 0.6 what I said before: If you never experienced problems or speed lacks with Adblock Plus 0.5, then there is no need to switch because it won't have more or better functions. At the contrary the main goal is to keep it lighter than the other Adblock versions, what was the point of starting this thread as i guess. I would wait till Wladimir worked a little bit more on his version, so you can switch any time to 0.6.

Post by 007 »

Perhaps you two prefere to fight elsewhere, this is really annoying now, and it's leading nowhere further, so plz, move to another thread for your stupid discussion. BTW I'm also still using ADP0.5, and I'm fine with it. Don't know why so many are "whining" how much better it than before, and how much speed they are experiencing. Sometimes it sounds that they have taken drugs before using it. It's just an extension, and no matter for a political debate or inquisition. There are more important things in the world to worry about.
Tom Brombadil

Post by Tom Brombadil »

Jimbo wrote:
PD wrote:@Wladimir Palant
I also would like to see this instead of the cockroach. Do you think that this is possible, Wlad?
Yeah, I've tried this out. This would make it perfect. The cockroach is really a bit ugly.

Post by Guest »

@007

You spend time reading a three page thread titled "adblock plus 0.6 needs a new name" then complain about people wasting your time because you're happy with 0.5" Ummm, huh? Rather than telling people to move on, take your own advice.

@Karl Heinz Schüffler

We're all VERY glad that you're sticking with 0.5, others will decide for themselves. It's not your duty to convince anybody of anything, same thing goes for those that have made the change. Saying that those that decided for themselves differently than yourself due to low intelligence or intoxication is truly dredging the bottom of the debate bucket. Next thing ya know you'll be critiquing grammar and spelling.

Go start you're own "I love abp0.5" thread and feel free to expunge your knowledge there.