Adblock Plus 0.6 needs a new name

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
LorenzoC

Post by LorenzoC »

Karl Heinz Schüffler wrote: Okay, now it's clear: You don't now what you are writing and should better read other comments more carefully before you anwere, Lorenzo, right (you've forgotten your name again, or perhaps my bad Adblock version blocked it :wink: ). Try to read this again without alcohlic influence and more IQ: No one said the ADP 0.5 will be developed further. But it will be maintained.
Go to the beginning of the AdBlock Plus 0.6 thread.
McM says:
"I have been invited to join the original Adblock project which I've accepted. As a result I was planning to slow down on developing Adblock Plus to just compatibility fixes to make it work on future versions of Firefox"

JUST COMPAIBILITY FIXES.
McM can correct it and change his mind but until that happens, the above text means he will NOT add anything on AdBlock Plus 0.5 besides patches to make it work with next versions of FF.

Meanwhile he and others will work on developing the "original" AdBlock so when McM will spend time in improvements SURE those will be on AdBlock and not on AdBlock Plus 0.5 that actually is a DEAD BRANCH.

"Mantained" means that AdBlock Plus 0.5 will remain EXACTLY THE SAME as it is nowadays and when FF 2.0 is released MAYBE McM will waste his time trying to patch 0.5 to work with it.
Since it makes no sense, I do belive that it is more probable that a better version of "classic" AdBlock will be out and McM will invite people to switch to it.

I say it again.
I don't care of anything else than having the extension I need.
Since the 0.6 is MUCH BETTER than the 0.5, I am just worried that Wladimir could change the nature of his extension adding useless features in the impossible effort to make everybody happy.

Post by 007 »

LorenzoC wrote: Go to the beginning of the AdBlock Plus 0.6 thread.
McM says:
"I have been invited to join the original Adblock project which I've accepted. As a result I was planning to slow down on developing Adblock Plus to just compatibility fixes to make it work on future versions of Firefox"

JUST COMPAIBILITY FIXES.
McM can correct it and change his mind but until that happens, the above text means he will NOT add anything on AdBlock Plus 0.5 besides patches to make it work with next versions of FF.

Meanwhile he and others will work on developing the "original" AdBlock so when McM will spend time in improvements SURE those will be on AdBlock and not on AdBlock Plus 0.5 that actually is a DEAD BRANCH.

"Mantained" means that AdBlock Plus 0.5 will remain EXACTLY THE SAME as it is nowadays and when FF 2.0 is released MAYBE McM will waste his time trying to patch 0.5 to work with it.
Since it makes no sense, I do belive that it is more probable that a better version of "classic" AdBlock will be out and McM will invite people to switch to it.

I say it again.
I don't care of anything else than having the extension I need.
Since the 0.6 is MUCH BETTER than the 0.5, I am just worried that Wladimir could change the nature of his extension adding useless features in the impossible effort to make everybody happy.
LorenzoC, are you so stupid or are you playing the idiot? Nobody really said that version 0.5 will have patches or new things in futures, it will be maintained so it keeps running with every new Firefox version. When this is a waste of time, then it's McM's time, not yours. YOU must really not worry about this. Could you please stop spaming this thread now? And nobody is interested if you use 0.6 or not. If you are worried that Wladimir could change "the nature" of HIS extension (not yours) then you can stay on the version you liked. That's what Adblock Plus 0.5 users are doing. Funny is that you are accusing them of being afraid of changes, but it seems that you also can't handle changes. You also could make your own extension, you certainly seem to have good knowledge and enthusiasm to do this. But stop this stupid annoying discussion now, there are surely more important things that could be discussed here. I've tried 0.6 out, and now I'm looking forward for the promised coming features. So keep on Wladimir with your good work! I like your new ideas!
Arteekay

Post by Arteekay »

@007
Please consider keeping your comments respectful, and possibly avoiding any threads with 0.6 in the title if you are easily annoyed with the comments in them. Nobody is forcing you to read a thread which is obviously not applicable to yourself.
Paulfox

Post by Paulfox »

LorenzoC wrote:Since the 0.6 is MUCH BETTER than the 0.5, I am just worried that Wladimir could change the nature of his extension adding useless features in the impossible effort to make everybody happy.
+1. I don't think Wladimir will let that happen, however. And that's good.
LorenzoC

Post by LorenzoC »

007 wrote:[LorenzoC, are you so stupid or are you playing the idiot?
I say it again in short terms: AdBlock Plus 0.5 dead, rest in peace.
All you people who cry about it please go on the AdBlock 0.5.x project where you can find the original code from which the old good 0.5 came and McM working on improvements.

Istead of asking Wladimir to make the 0.6 exactly the same of the 0.5.

About who is stupid and idiot, please re-read all the posts from the day the 0.6 went out, when people accused who-is-this Wladimir of hijacking the project and releasing a joke-not-working extension. I don't ask you to be respectful because I don't care.
Paulfox

Post by Paulfox »

@LorenzoC:
If you decide to register (and I hope you do since you obviously know what you're talking about), please PM me with your email (or I'll send you mine) - there are several points regarding regex I'd like to discuss with you. The complete lack of activity on the regex section of this forum is saddening; people would rather politicize and criticize than use ANY version of AdBlock for its intended purpose - a better filterset! Sorry to post that in the open, but there's no other way to communicate since I can't PM a guest. Cheers.

Now I'm going to try and show restraint and not post any more to "political argument" threads, and only to those areas which will help Wladimir further perfect this great extension. I "do care" when someone is slandered whether it's Wladimir or yourself. On Jan 17th I sent mcm an email saying "who is THIS guy?!" 10 minutes later I downloaded 0.6 and have been immensely happy since. It seems that even with mcm's own words, this kind of grade school melodrama & insults will take a little longer to "go away."
LorenzoC

Post by LorenzoC »

Paulfox wrote:@LorenzoC:
If you decide to register (and I hope you do since you obviously know what you're talking about), please PM me with your email (or I'll send you mine) - there are several points regarding regex I'd like to discuss with you. The complete lack of activity on the regex section of this forum is saddening; people would rather politicize and criticize than use ANY version of AdBlock for its intended purpose - a better filterset! Sorry to post that in the open, but there's no other way to communicate since I can't PM a guest. Cheers.
Well... thank you for giving me so much credit but I don't think I can say clever things about regex. See, I am old and lazy. My ideal extension is almost invisible and once set up I just need an "disable/enable" button or something like NoScript with "temporary allowed". That is the reason why, after some experiments at the very beginning of AdBlock, I decided to simply use the Filterset.G filters. They already block 99% of the ads. I don't feel like working enough to make a better filter than those, even if I was able to do so. Of course one day could happen that the Filterset.G could be not available any more and we would need an alternative or make our own filters. That day I will ask you to give me yours :)
Let me also say that being lazy and with few abilities I truly admire and I am grateful to all the devs who give us the extensions and the open source and free software in general.
That is the reason why nonsense complaints (this extension is @@#, I don't like the size/color/position of the button) make me mad. It is like somebody is taking away instead of giving for free and should apologize for that. I don't know how Wladimir could bear the "tzunami" of crap that people throw at him.

On a side note:
I am very curious of the idea of bayesian filters in AdBlock that Wladimir writes as future development. That would make the regex useless, but I can't understand how it could work.
Paulfox

Post by Paulfox »

LorenzoC wrote:On a side note:
I am very curious of the idea of bayesian filters in AdBlock that Wladimir writes as future development. That would make the regex useless, but I can't understand how it could work.
Beats me. You show it pages of ads (or go to the URL's of ad companies/web bug outfits?) and it learns like email? Wouldn't chances of false posities be greater? I guess even if that were the case in the beginning, but it improves over time, you could really have something, especially when ADDED to some basic regex's that solve the most blatant "stuff."

One things for sure - if Wlad the Bayesian Ad Impaler gives it a go . . . so will I!
LorenzoC

Post by LorenzoC »

Paulfox wrote: Beats me. You show it pages of ads (or go to the URL's of ad companies/web bug outfits?) and it learns like email? Wouldn't chances of false posities be greater? I guess even if that were the case in the beginning, but it improves over time, you could really have something, especially when ADDED to some basic regex's that solve the most blatant "stuff."
One things for sure - if Wlad the Bayesian Ad Impaler gives it a go . . . so will I!
The Bayesian filters work on statistics I think. You "instruct" the software on what is "ads" and then it builds some criteria to understand the probability that an object is "ads". When the probability reaches x% the object is removed.
Something like that, I don't know much more about it. Maybe one day Wladimir will say something about his ideas.
It is used on Thunderbird to catch spam mail and it works pretty well.
Yes, as i already said, I see greater chances of false positives and also big problems in "correcting" them because you don't have a "rule" giving the error but a "probability" based on several "clues".
On the other side you can see that using a Bayesian filter you reduce almost to zero the interaction with the user while creating the filters. The user has just to point some "ads" then the software start learning and more objects you point as "ads" more the software filters. You don't see any line of code, no need of the sidebar or "list of blockable items".
In theory.
Wait and see.
Arteekay

Post by Arteekay »

LorenzoC wrote:Yes, as i already said, I see greater chances of false positives and also big problems in "correcting" them because you don't have a "rule" giving the error but a "probability" based on several "clues".
On the other side you can see that using a Bayesian filter you reduce almost to zero the interaction with the user while creating the filters. The user has just to point some "ads" then the software start learning and more objects you point as "ads" more the software filters. You don't see any line of code, no need of the sidebar or "list of blockable items".
In theory.
Wait and see.
There's not a greater chance of false positives, it's assured, at least initially and never, ever without any. That's the nature of the deal, it may approach perfection, but it will never reach it.

Until it's at least close to perfection, it will definitely require user interaction, less as time goes on. Speaking only from my understanding of Bayesian filters, you would have to correct any false positives by somehow telling the software that "this object shouldn't have been blocked" and the probabilities are reworked from there. The trouble would be figuring out how else to judge the probability other than by using anything similar to regex, I'd guess.

Or it could be based of butterfly farts in Bangladesh, I really wouldn't know.
LorenzoC

Post by LorenzoC »

Arteekay wrote:There's not a greater chance of false positives, it's assured, at least initially and never, ever without any. That's the nature of the deal, it may approach perfection, but it will never reach it.
Hold on.
Imagine you start the day 0 with your bayesian AdBlock and say "mark this as AD". The software will recognize some elements of the object and add those elements to its internal database. The day 1 you meet another object that has some of the elements of the marked one and the software, using its rules, estimate the probability as "high" and removes the object from the page. Now, how can you tell the software "no, this is not an AD" since it was already removed and you can't see it any more? You need a list of "removed objects" like the "spam mail" so you can review what was marked as "AD" and correct the false positives. I don't know how it could work. In the mail you have a lot of elements to evaluate and the message is somehow a single object you remove or not. In the ADS you need to isolate few elements inside the page code that "renders" the object. I think it would be easier with domains, but difficult if you try to catch single elements inside the webpages. The filter could work on a level inside a branch of the DOM, you correct it and it start to work on another part of the branch. It becomes difficult to associate the visible object in the page with the real code the filter is working on. But I don't know much about the topic. I wait for Wladimir.
Arteekay wrote:Until it's at least close to perfection, it will definitely require user interaction [...]
Actually after some instructions the filter should be able to block 99% of the ADS, also because more or less you visit the same web sites. As i said before it depends on what elements the software would evaluate. In any case the interaction with the user would be only "yes" and "no", since you don't need to build a blacklist of elements or worse to write regular expressions.
Arteekay

Post by Arteekay »

LorenzoC wrote:
Arteekay wrote:There's not a greater chance of false positives, it's assured, at least initially and never, ever without any. That's the nature of the deal, it may approach perfection, but it will never reach it.
Hold on.
Imagine you start the day 0 with your bayesian AdBlock and say "mark this as AD". The software will recognize some elements of the object and add those elements to its internal database. The day 1 you meet another object that has some of the elements of the marked one and the software, using its rules, estimate the probability as "high" and removes the object from the page. Now, how can you tell the software "no, this is not an AD" since it was already removed and you can't see it any more? You need a list of "removed objects" like the "spam mail" so you can review what was marked as "AD" and correct the false positives.
Yep, I believe we're saying exactly the same thing, or at least that was the intended point of my post if I munged it up. On day 0 you'd get 0% false positives and 100% false negatives (shouldn't be blocked). If this page had one ad and one context object, you'd block one and still see the content (hopefully) and the stats would shift to 100% false positives and 0% false negatives. Then you'd go on to a page with two ads and two context objects, and hope you still had 100/0, it you get 50/50, you'd then block the second ad and be hopefully be back at 100/0. This of course is very unrealistic and I'd assume it would probably come by default with something better than a completely "new born" detection and false positive training level.
LorenzoC wrote:
Arteekay wrote:Until it's at least close to perfection, it will definitely require user interaction [...]
Actually after some instructions the filter should be able to block 99% of the ADS, also because more or less you visit the same web sites. As i said before it depends on what elements the software would evaluate. In any case the interaction with the user would be only "yes" and "no", since you don't need to build a blacklist of elements or worse to write regular expressions.
Here's where we strongly disagree, at least at this point and without any knowledge of how Wlad might implement. I would think it would be exponentially more difficult to get from 98 to 99%, and even getting into the 80% range would prove to be difficult. Even speaking only about sites on the "regularly visited" list, any change in content, based on whatever properties the filter works on, would throw the status way out of the 90% range.

Unless of course we're speaking only of perceived and/or historical stats, in which case the above unreal example would let you get to 100% in a single move. In my opinion, any filter that hits 70% or better with 0.0000001% false positives is an incredibly excellent filter.

Getting to that 0.0000001% falsely blocked element would require two things:

1) the user would have to recognize that a false positive occurred.
2) some method of seeing what was blocked, and of course some way to unblock it. A "yes" or "no" scenario might entail asking the user after each page element loaded (not before, since we wouldn't know what exactly it is until we can see it).

Once again, this is speaking from the viewpoint instilled from spam filtering. Another thought, imagine the trouble a page of joke banner ads might cause.
LorenzoC

Post by LorenzoC »

I know very little about bayesian implementations and nothing about what Wladimir has in mind, if he already has got ideas.

I agree with everything you said in general.

But there are 2 little details to think about:
1. the ADS in the pages tend to have some elements that don't change too much, infact you can get them with the regular expressions. It is different from email where you get ANY possible combinations of caracters and contents, in the sender, title, body, etc. So I guess the "range" where you have to detect the ADS is much smaller, expecially if you don't work on the leaf but you work up on the branches (es. adserver/ads/imageyxz.jpg - serverads/ad/wkwimage.jpg)

2. the number of objects you have to "handle" is much smaller than email. That is a problem to evolve the filter but once it gets over some level of accuracy it has to remove more or less the same things always.
I mean, if I visit a website and I mark the ads, there are good chances that the second time I would have them removed. They would be the same objects. Visiting some websites there are good chances I would cover a valid range of similar sites and similar ads (for es. the adservers are not infinite)

Of course, like it happened with email, tactics could be implemented to overcome the filters. If somebody wants to fight against the ads-filtering things could get thougher. For example they could start to garble the name/domain of the ADServers, do not use any understandable name for subdir and objects and so on.
Arteekay

Post by Arteekay »

Another caveat might be probably not all that different than the trouble with defining spam. What is obviously garbage to one person is another's most treasured information. In email implimentations, home users can generally and safely block anything with the words "mortgage rates" in the subject or body. In some industries (law in my experience) having those two words in many emails is very common.

I'd also guess that once ad-blocking comes into the mainstream, we'll definitely see marketers fighting hard to make us see at least one or two ads regularly.

Sometimes I want use every computer I see or touch as an anchor, ya know? ;-)
Wladimir Palant

Post by Wladimir Palant »

@PD: As I said many times before - I'm going to replace the cockroach icon if somebody suggests a better one. I'm not taking any icon saying "AD" however - this one is meaningless to the majority of the people (at the very least everybody who isn't a native English speaker).

Everybody can change the icon for himself though, see here: http://mozdev.org/pipermail/adblockplus ... 00008.html
I'm going to add a thorough instruction to the FAQ when 0.6.1 is released.