Unblock popups

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
hstark

Unblock popups

Post by hstark »

I'm using FF3.51 & Windows XP Home. I have AdBlock Plus 1.1 installed as well as AVG Safe Search 8.5 and AVG Security Tool Bar 2.506*** . The ads are blocked but the wanted new popup windows don't open. eg enlarging a picture from nytimes.com or a statement from my bank. There are others. If I uninstall Adblocker Plus all is ok.

How do get the wanted popups to popup?

Thanks for the help.

Howie
Hubird

Post by Hubird »

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/29/dinin ... ml?_r=1&hp

Enlarging the pic on the above link works fine for me.

What subscriptions for ABP do you use ?

Also see the link in my footer for some instructions which might help.
MelPhleg

Re: Unblock popups

Post by MelPhleg »

linux ubuntu 9.04; firefox 3.0.19; adblock plus 1.0.1; no firewall; no AVG

i am having the same problem.
tho, in only one site.
the popups used to always work on this particular site, till very recently. all i can think of is i may have accidentally clicked on some setting somewhere whilst using the particular site that made it so no popups are allowed.
i've cleared out all the filters. no go.
i've disabled adblock. no go.
i've opened the list of blockable items. however, i can't find how to delete that list. i find no option in that window for that command. iu've double-clicked on each specific blockables in that list for the particular site to se if such an option for clearing out the list of blockables. all no go

if it helps any, the particular site is : https://catalog.multcolib.org/search
the option i used to be able to do on this site: find a book title so it shows the specific info for that book and has a pic on the right of the book's cover; click on that pic and a popup comes up that gives more info on said book, which may include links to a summary, bigger image of cover, list of chapters, excerpt of the book text, reviews by diff library associations, series titles by same author.

now i just get nothing other than the little popup bar that says "firefox prevented this site from opening a popup window" & the link for preferences. i can't even click on that popup bar link *for* the preferences as the bar too quickly pops up and gone. it doesn't stay at all.

i even went into firefox preferences under content and unchecked the 'block popups windows' box. still no go.

any other ideas?
Wladimir Palant

Post by Wladimir Palant »

This has nothing to do with Adblock Plus, the pop-up blocker is a built-in feature of Firefox. And the fault in this case is actually with the developers of that site, instead of opening the popup directly when you click they now send you to syndetics.com which tries to open the popup. You should go into Firefox preferences, Content, make sure "Block pop-up windows" is checked again, then click "Exceptions" button next to it. Enter "syndetics.com" into the text field (without quotation marks), click Allow and then Close. Click OK in the preferences window.
LisaLisa

Post by LisaLisa »

Thank you, very good information.