Vertically seperated sidebar

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
pitdicker

Vertically seperated sidebar

Post by pitdicker »

Last days I was thinking a bit about the sidebar. Following is one of the ideas I've come to.

A sidebar is tall and narrow (sorry, I don't know the correct words).
Curerently the sidebar is separated HORIZONTALLY, type and adress. This way the address is almost to small to read.
I think it's better to separate the sidebar VERTICALLY into multiple parts, like for example the sidebar in Dreamweaver.
This way every part could contain a different type:
- images & backgrounds
- flash
- script & java
- links
- stylesheets
- Preview

Allowing only a maximum of 3 parts to be open at the same time (again like Dreamweaver), might also prove usefull:
- You can faster find what you want to block
- It looks easier, because you don't see everything at the same time
- It might be faster, because Adblock Plus only has to look for items of a certain type

Does anyone thinks the same about this?

Post by Guest »

this is no firefox discussion forum... :roll:

go to forums.mozillazine.org oder somewhere else, but this place here is definetly wrong!
pitdicker

Post by pitdicker »

I was talking about the sidebar from Adblock Plus
Fox

Post by Fox »

I think your Sidebar idea is very bad.
Current sidebar works, only Column sorting and filtering is missing, but those will be added.
see "Plan for Adblock Plus 0.6.2".
http://adblockplus.mozdev.org/installation.html

Post by Guest »

how do you want to devide adblock plus sidebar? it has only one function/feature.

if you want two different sidebars then this is a firefox issue.
pitdicker

Post by pitdicker »

The sidebar might be divided into multiple list below each other. Each list can contain blockable items from a different type.

By doing it this way, if someone tries to block someting, he can find it faster: first he looks at the part of the sidebar containing the right type, let's say an image. Now he has to search true a much shorter list to find the right one.

Also the interface can become claener if only 3 of the lists are visible at a time. Some content you just virtually never block. Still these rarely used part can still be made visible in de same way as in dreamweaver.

Once again, my suggestion only concerns Adblock Plus.