YouTube Ads Loading or Black Screen

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
munkitkat

YouTube Ads Loading or Black Screen

Post by munkitkat »

Over the past few days, I've noticed 5 different ways AdBlock has been functioning when it comes to YouTube:

1) Sometimes, it goes through perfectly fine as before, blocking the ad entirely

2) Sometimes, the screen will be black and stuck at 0:00 for a few seconds while I'm assuming an ad loads in the background, despite the ad not playing

3) Sometimes, the screen will be black and the video's audio will play, but no image will appear. (Note: this doesn't happen if I have AdBlock off, which is why I feel I can safely group it in with these AdBlock problems)

4) Sometimes, the screen will have a still image of an ad and I'll have to hit the play button, as it won't load the video automatically. So far, when this happens, it just plays the video, but while I've yet to see it play the ad itself, I wouldn't be surprised if it did do that.

5) Sometimes, the ad just goes ahead and plays, and there's no way I can figure out how to block it.

Example video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5VEd3g_7Qc comes with a 15 second ad in front of it no matter what I do.

I've cleared my cache and cookies, I've checked my filters and don't see anything weird, I've disabled all other addons except AdBlock but nothing interfered, and now I'm stuck.

I don't seem to be seeing any other issues on any other sites, so is this just a YouTube Red problem that AdBlock needs to correct with an update (hopefully asap) or is there an easy fix?
smed79

Re: YouTube Ads Loading or Black Screen

Post by smed79 »

imajica

Post by imajica »

I have this problem all the time. 9 times out of 10 the video pauses for about 10-15 seconds before the video actually plays. I find if i go to my subscriptions and play them from there it always happens, but once i get a vide playing and then select a video on the left of the screen, basically a video similar to the one i was watching it tends to play just fine.
Vladimer

Post by Vladimer »

I was hoping to find a solution on the forum but at least I know I'm not the only one.

I use firefox at work and home and have the same issue on both.

I'd say about 8 out of 10 videos pause for ~10-15 seconds before playing. You can click on it, it'll sit at 00:00 and have a black screen before playing the video like normal.

Edit: should mention that its not the same video either. Its random. Can click on the same one a few times and sometimes it'll load right away, other times it'll pause at 00:00
Chandlr

Post by Chandlr »

This happens for me as well, its very annoying but it seems YouTube has flagged some accounts.
Though was able to avoid the ads by changing user agent to eg: PS4: Mozilla/5.0 (PlayStation 4 3.15) AppleWebKit/537.73 (KHTML, like Gecko)
I was also able to avoid the ads by using Chrome browser.. but it didt work to change to Chrome user agent.
So i really don't know why this happens would be nice if Adblock plus people could come up with a solution :)

Tools used when testing:
FireFox
User Agent overrider (FireFox plugin)
Chrome
mapx

Post by mapx »

same issue
forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=45200

continue there