Youtube Loads Black Screen

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
MarkRH

Re: Youtube Loads Black Screen

Post by MarkRH »

Jaybonaut wrote:Hmm... this morning I notice a slight delay on UBlock as well...
Same here. Hmmmm
Etc1

Post by Etc1 »

Still having issues with this having the black screen for 15-30 seconds before loading videos. It seems like doubling up with AdBlock and uBlock no longer works.
Gdk224

Post by Gdk224 »

Hello all,

I have been having this kind of issue but with chrome. I did find a fix for me in chrome and it seems a few others over on my post at reddit.com/r/adblock. I'm not sure if it will work for firefox too or not, but it can't really hurt to try.

Here is what I did:

This worked for me and I figured I would let anyone know that may be having the issue to hopefully help them out as well. I cannot guarantee it will work for everyone, but it did for me.
First off, I noticed it was only when signed into my youtube/google account. If I went into incognito or logged out the videos would load fine while still having adblockplus active.
I ended up going to into my youtube account settings and then under "View or change your account settings" I went to "Personal info & privacy" and under that "Ads Settings". -MANAGE ADS SETTINGS Then I turned off the "Ads based on your interests" and then also in that prompt under "control signed out ads" turned that off as well.
I reloaded youtube and then it seemed to be loading fine without any 10-15 second black screen before videos.
Hope this helps!
TestCase

Post by TestCase »

I read the first few pages and it seems like this issue hasn't been solved for everyone.

I had the same problem but being logged in with the targeted ads disabled for the google account worked. Incognito browsing also solved the issue so it's probably a cookie thing causing the launch of the ad.

Best I can tell, ABP is blocking the ads, but not hiding the overlaid element resulting in the black screen. There could be an interaction with noscript going on, not sure.

On a video I looked at, these were a couple of domains/scripts that were launching the ads.

Code: Select all

https://ads-pd.nbcuni.com/tvn/UJHR5115500H_ENT/UJHR5115500H_ENT_079​6.mp4
(video/mp4 <VIDEO> / https://www.youtube.com)

https://s-static.innovid.com/media/encoded/12_16/47391/2_source_37963_78508​.mp4
(video/mp4 <VIDEO> / https://www.youtube.com)
I'm not super technically inclined but I hope this helps kill these ads without the workarounds mentioned above.
Tom A

Post by Tom A »

Having a similar problem, except that the ad is blocked, but the video just shows black, with the audio working properly. The time advances as it plays, and I can hear the audio, but it just displays a black screen. This happens on any YouTube video that has an ad before it, other videos play fine.

Example video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEngIxT-jns but from what I can tell it is any video that plays a commercial.

ADP 2.8.2, filters are EasyList and "Adblock Warning Removal List" Firefox 51.0.1 (32 bit).

Just started happening this morning.
fryque

Post by fryque »

I suspect that Google has begun to use background code to mess with Adblockers. They have been saying that they would do this for two years or more. I have tried several things mentioned in this forum and none work continually to allow me to watch YouTube.
Any video with an ad at the beginning is black. A few times I could restart and it would clear up. A few times I could run in Private Window [Incognito] and it would work on the first video but then turn black after that.
ADDENDUM: I just got an email from a Google friend. Google IS doing this. They are trying to stop the use of ad blockers in order to sell YouTube Red for $9.99 per month. YouTube Red is a paid service that has ad free videos and free downloads and such. Hey, they gotta make a buck too, huh!
thefur

Post by thefur »

I am having the same issue. Video is blank and it audio begins to play. I can disable ADP on the page and reload and the ad starts then the video plays. Hope there is a fix soon.
Tom A

Post by Tom A »

I did find a workaround that got the videos to play properly, by unchecking "Allow some non-obtrusive advertising" in the Filter Preferences.

I just reenabled that, and it looks like the latest versions of the filters (dated yesterday and today) have put it back to the way it was before, commercials do not play, and videos play normally.

We will see how long it lasts.
seeley

Post by seeley »

I get the black screen for the entirety of the video. Nothing works for me now. I tried every option in ABP with no success including disabling the custom filters. I get a black screen with audio on every video with an ad for the entirety of the video. I have updated all filters. I have tried unchecking and checking "Allow some non-obtrusive advertising" with no success. This is frustrating. Of course, the only thing that works is if I uncheck EasyList, but the ads come back as well.
RoyalMine

Post by RoyalMine »

go to about:config

search for dom.ipc.processCount
what value do you see for dom.ipc.processCount ?
Mr Wolf

Post by Mr Wolf »

Hi, for some weeks, I have the same problem, and now, when I open a video, I have audio, but no video. :|
I have to disable Adblock Plus and reload the video.

Windows 7 64 bit, Firefox 51.0.1, Adblock Plus 2.8.2, dom.ipc.processCount=1
jonasator

Post by jonasator »

I have same problem. Any solution?
natureday_com

Post by natureday_com »

Load the same URL in Firefox that should fix it. The same thing happened to me. I restarted my computer and tried the same thing in firefox and it worked.
Anna
steven82

Post by steven82 »

Same problem here. I have dom.ipc.processCount=4
Any solution?
cmmc

Post by cmmc »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEngIxT-jns

I have no problem with the video above - in fact I have no problems with youtube at all. Here's the filters used (all ultimate list, except noted):

Code: Select all

###watch7-sidebar-ads
youtube.com###yt-lang-alert-container (*custom filter*)
youtube.com##.video-annotations (*youtube list*)
youtube.com##.yt-consent
youtube.com##.yt-uix-button[data-trigger-for="action-panel-share"] (*youtube list*)
##.ytp-ad-progress-list
/googleads.
/googleads.
||youtube-nocookie.com/gen_204?
/log_event?
/log_interaction?
@@||s.youtube.com/api/stats/playback?$image,object-subrequest
@@||youtube.com/api/stats/watchtime?$image,domain=youtube.com