Youtube Loads Black Screen

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
MarkRH

Re: Youtube Loads Black Screen

Post by MarkRH »

ABP 2.7.3, FF 49: What I have been seeing lately is that many videos start with a black loading screen with what looks like the "buffering" animation that lasts 10 seconds or something and then the video starts playing fine with audio and video and never tries to buffer again while it is playing so doesn't seem like a network issue. I don't have the black screen and audio only issue though.
hcpeter

Post by hcpeter »

First off,i know it sounds weird,but i finally,at least,know what causes the video loading problem.
You know it drives me crazy when there is something wrong and i don´t know how to fix it :oops: .
Anyway,like many of you i´ve got the same problem,black screen with the buffering icon for like 10 seconds,and then the video starts playing just fine.
But not with all videos,and thats what confuses me.Sometimes a 30min video will play immediately while a 6 min video does not :? .
And as some users have mentioned it,the problem was fixed till the recent firefox update :( .
So i realy hope the problem can be fixed soon.
Smurffy

Post by Smurffy »

Didn't read through the whole thread but I have the same issue. I would like to point out that it is only with the HTML5 player. Using an addon to play Youtube videos with flash player has no side effects for me.

Edit - Specifically my issue is the 5-20 second buffer/black screen at the start of videos, and not the black screen during playback. I had that issue occasionally several weeks ago but a refresh was all that was needed.
Datguybikes

Post by Datguybikes »

I've been having the same issue as stated by op. The issue started from day one of FF/ABP about a month ago, and I kind of gave up and reverted back to using chrome for youtube.
I must admit I did not read all the post, but I would like to note that I might have stumbled upon a workaround.
I manage to get FF/ABP to work semi decent by switching the youtube player from HTML5 to flash. Minimizing and maximizing does stutter the play back so it's not perfect.

If anyone is interested I'm using FF with the following add-ons: "Youtube Flash Player" and "Enhancer for Youtube(not necessary, but I use it to default to 1080p)".

Perhaps you guys can work off my findings and provide some sort of permanent solution.
Jaybonaut

Post by Jaybonaut »

Same issue, it's been going on for quite awhile now.
GodforSaken

Post by GodforSaken »

Guys anyone find a fix for this yet?
elior99

Post by elior99 »

Same problem , any fix?
zennon

Post by zennon »

Same problem here. Not sure if someone already mentionned it or not but this is the same issue as previously and YOU NEED TO BE LOGIN INTO Youtube to have the problem. If you opened a video in private browsing (or logout), there is no problem.
MarkRH

Post by MarkRH »

zennon wrote:Same problem here. Not sure if someone already mentionned it or not but this is the same issue as previously and YOU NEED TO BE LOGIN INTO Youtube to have the problem. If you opened a video in private browsing (or logout), there is no problem.
Hmmm. Yeah, If I sign out of YouTube, then videos start playing right away and I don't get that 10 second or so pause before it starts playing. I wonder what is different?
Keisuke

Post by Keisuke »

Hello,

I have the same problem as you guys and i found a filter which works but not totally, i mean it instantly starts youtube videos but it still shows some ads in the bottom of the video at a certain timer (usually at the beginning or at the end).
The filter is this one :

Code: Select all

@@/pagead/ads?$domain=youtube.com
Hope this helps
seyf-educ

Post by seyf-educ »

If still in trouble could be your YT account is affected by an old issue (youtube side).
Did you try the same video logged in and logged off ?
Jaybonaut

Post by Jaybonaut »

Spartakush wrote:I've been having this for a while on some videos now, and I've finally found a 100% solution (for me, at least). It seems to be a problem with HTML5, if you use YouTube with the old flash player the black screen loading does not happen at all.
If you're using Firefox, I recommend using this addon: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... eo-player/ It let's you switch seamlessly between HTML5 player and flash player for YouTube videos. I believe there are alternative addons for Chrome and other browsers too that do the same thing.

Test it for yourself with flashplayer, you should notice the video always loads instantly as it used to. I know some people hate flash with passion, but I honestly never had a problem with it on YouTube (I have hardware acceleration disabled). Let me know if this works for anyone else!
The problem with this solution is that is uses Flash which the internet is trying to get rid of, and it also does not allow the 60 fps option at all when viewing Youtube - only 30 fps (or 29.97 fps.)
GrimReaperrz

Post by GrimReaperrz »

I've bin having this for a while. tried looking for solutions and eventually just gave up. hope there comes a fix for it tho.
Drahcir-

Post by Drahcir- »

Hi,

I've also been suffering from this problem, I use Firefox, strangely enough, this issue only started to happen since I switched ISP, but I think that might be a coincidence,

TEMP SOLUTION: I'm trying the Youtube flashplayer plugin that Jaybonaut above me posted and it seems to be loading videos within 3 seconds, which is a great improvment from 15+ (:
Jaybonaut

Post by Jaybonaut »

Drahcir- wrote:Hi,

I've also been suffering from this problem, I use Firefox, strangely enough, this issue only started to happen since I switched ISP, but I think that might be a coincidence,

TEMP SOLUTION: I'm trying the Youtube flashplayer plugin that Jaybonaut above me posted and it seems to be loading videos within 3 seconds, which is a great improvment from 15+ (:
Yeah but again, that does not allow 60 fps videos - it's not even an option.